FX 8120 Overheating

My cousin's FX 8120 is overheating when playing games like Fifa 15 and sometimes even while basic web browsing(facebook/youtube) sessions. I've never tackled overheating problems. How should I proceed?

1. Scan for viruses

2. reapply thermal paste

3. ?

4. Profit

Well before we start, define overheating. Do you have a screenshot of the temperatures he is experiencing?

There have been people on here in the past saying 'my CPU is overheating, what do I do' and the max temperature reached was only 62 degrees if you see what I mean.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Well before we start, define overheating. Do you have a screenshot of the temperatures he is experiencing?

There have been people on here in the past saying 'my CPU is overheating, what do I do' and the max temperature reached was only 62 degrees if you see what I mean.

It went over 85 degree celsius and then simply turned itself off automatically.

It went over 85 degree celsius and then simply turned itself off automatically.

Has he had the side of the PC open?

What I would do is clear out any dust if any and re-apply thermal paste but as someone also said it may be worth doing a virus scan though I would check the CPU usage in task manager first to determine if it is worth doing.

EDIT: Just had a quick read up online about Fifa 15 and it looks to quite CPU intensive which won't help with temps, what cooler is he also using because it could be possible that it isn't quite up to the job of cooling the FX-8120 down adequately.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Has he had the side of the PC open?

What I would do is clear out any dust if any and re-apply thermal paste but as someone also said it may be worth doing a virus scan though I would check the CPU usage in task manager first to determine if it is worth doing.

I've tested the pc both in and outside of the case. There is no difference.

Can you see the pictures of the heatsink and CPU and please tell me if I need to re-apply thermal paste?

post-155433-0-14337100-1435660526_thumb.

post-155433-0-12985100-1435660530_thumb.

Can you see the pictures of the heatsink and CPU and please tell me if I need to re-apply thermal paste?

Yea I would re-apply the paste mate but be sure to clean the heat spreader and cooler down properly with isopropyl alcohol. Is the heatsink nice and clear from dust and shit?

Yea I would re-apply the paste mate but be sure to clean the heat spreader and cooler down properly with isopropyl alcohol. Is the heatsink nice and clear from dust and shit?

There's a little dust but I don't think that'll hurt. I'll clean it anyway.

Well now that you've taken the heatsink off, you absolutely need to re-apply TIM.  :P

Go get some ArcticSilver 5 and maybe pick up a cheapo high-performance cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. It's arguably the best sub-$30 cooler you can buy.

That should bring temps down significantly.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

There's a little dust but I don't think that'll hurt. I'll clean it anyway.

May as well while you have it out of the case

In the case of FX CPUs, the maximum temperature as defined by AMD is 62C I believe.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You need to re-apply thermal paste - it looks horrid under there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch