I bought a new video card, anything I should know before it arrives?

VG Docs

I got an MSI Twin Frozer R9 280x for $141 (I'm sure no one cares but I think it's a great buy :P), and I'll be replacing my 6950 when it gets here.

Is there anything on a software level I should do? Should I get the drivers before or after it arrives? Should I uninstall my current drivers? Should I not worry because both are non-OEM AMD cards anyway?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

pull old one out and put new one it. make sure you have enough power plugs for the new card. is the case big enough? is there good airflow out of the case and into the case?

wow... pretty empty here...

I got an MSI Twin Frozer R9 280x for $141 (I'm sure no one cares but I think it's a great buy :P), and I'll be replacing my 6950 when it gets here.

Is there anything on a software level I should do? Should I get the drivers before or after it arrives? Should I uninstall my current drivers? Should I not worry because both are non-OEM AMD cards anyway?

Off your question because das affe has answered it pretty well, but where did you find the 280x for that price??

pull old one out and put new one it. make sure you have enough power plugs for the new card. is the case big enough? is there good airflow out of the case and into the case?

Yeah, don't worry. I made sure everything was fine from a hardware perspective. I could put two of them in my case with enough power and be totally fine. :P

Make sure that you have the latest AMD drivers installed and replace the card with the new one. Enjoy the 280X.

Okay thanks, do I need to uninstall these that I have for my 6950 (the latest drivers for it) or is it the same as the 280x drivers?

Off your question because das affe has answered it pretty well, but where did you find the 280x for that price??

Used, unfortunately. =/ Ebay to be specific, I don't earn much money from Youtube though so it'd take forever to get one new. I still think it's a good buy though.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Yeah, don't worry. I made sure everything was fine from a hardware perspective. I could put two of them in my case with enough power and be totally fine. :P

Okay thanks, do I need to uninstall these that I have for my 6950 (the latest drivers for it) or is it the same as the 280x drivers?

Used, unfortunately. =/ Ebay to be specific, I don't earn much money from Youtube though so it'd take forever to get one new. I still think it's a good buy though.

Sounds like a good deal as long as the previous owner didn't abuse his time with it. Good to hear you are making something from youtube though :)