Switched to RAID by Mistake

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

Nope you fckd up, same as going from IDE to AHCI you will need to re-install Windows, sometimes you can get away with a repair.

LOL no. You can boot in safe mode and change a registry key to fix the BSOD. Its a very simply fix.

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

OP, changing to RAID from AHCI is not a problem, SATA RAID is an extension of AHCI anyway and I am sure Gigabyte are clever enough to code the software to make all the required changes to the OS so it doesn't crash your system (which it hasn't). You can use RAID drivers on an AHCI setup which zero issues, you cannot use an AHCI driver on a RAID setup due to the various different RAID arrays and the differences in the way they operate.

If you wish to change back to AHCI follow the above instructions then reboot into UEFI, change back to AHCI and Windows will boot and set itself up for AHCI instead of RAID.

While checking out Gigabyte's EZ Setup software I mistakenly switched from AHCI to RAID Mode. Will this have any adverse affects if I'm not actually using a RAID? Obviously, I can't go back without reinstalling Windows.

EZ%20Setup01_zpsawx61br9.jpg

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

While checking out Gigabyte's EZ Setup software I mistakenly switched from AHCI to RAID Mode. Will this have any adverse affects if I'm not actually using a RAID? Obviously, I can't go back without reinstalling Windows.

Nope you fckd up, same as going from IDE to AHCI you will need to re-install Windows, sometimes you can get away with a repair.

I'm currently in Windows, I don't see the difference if it's working. I don't care about going back to AHCI mode if RAID mode won't have any adverse affect to my SSD, HHD, copy of Windows or performance while not actually in a RAID.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I'm currently in Windows, I don't see the difference if it's working. I don't care about going back to AHCI mode if RAID mode won't have any adverse affect to my SSD, HHD, copy of Windows or performance while not actually in a RAID.

Then you are lucky last time I accidentally hit the RAID button on mine Windows was fucked. Just leave it.

Then you are lucky last time I accidentally hit the RAID button on mine Windows was fucked. Just leave it.

He changed it in windows I am pretty sure.. I would suggest to change it back to AHCI since if you were to reboot then you would not be able to boot back into windows..

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

He changed it in windows I am pretty sure.. I would suggest to change it back to AHCI since if you were to reboot then you would not be able to boot back into windows..

I have rebooted, it boots fine as long as it's kept in RAID mode, in AHCI it won't boot; can't switch it back via EZ Setup.

I have rebooted, it boots fine as long as it's kept in RAID mode, in AHCI it won't boot; can't switch it back via EZ Setup.

Ah ok :P I guess keep it like it is

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

LOL no. You can boot in safe mode and change a registry key to fix the BSOD. Its a very simply fix.

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

OP, changing to RAID from AHCI is not a problem, SATA RAID is an extension of AHCI anyway and I am sure Gigabyte are clever enough to code the software to make all the required changes to the OS so it doesn't crash your system (which it hasn't). You can use RAID drivers on an AHCI setup which zero issues, you cannot use an AHCI driver on a RAID setup due to the various different RAID arrays and the differences in the way they operate.

If you wish to change back to AHCI follow the above instructions then reboot into UEFI, change back to AHCI and Windows will boot and set itself up for AHCI instead of RAID.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)