Computer crashes while playing Diablo 3

Bearamas

Hi folks,

I have been experiencing random crashes while playing D3. To answer the obvious first question yes it only happens while playing D3. It has happened anywhere in the game from the character select screen to greater rifts.

I have tried both reinstalling the game and multiple versions of the Nvidia drivers for the GTX 970 with no improvement. Is there something that I have to change in Windows 7? I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks. 

Hi folks,

I have been experiencing random crashes while playing D3. To answer the obvious first question yes it only happens while playing D3. It has happened anywhere in the game from the character select screen to greater rifts.

I have tried both reinstalling the game and multiple versions of the Nvidia drivers for the GTX 970 with no improvement. Is there something that I have to change in Windows 7? I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Thanks. 

I had the same issue with Diablo 3, I've played 50 or so different games since then and haven't had any issues in them, tried diablo 3 again few weeks back and same thing happens.

Sometimes it'd crash leaving sound working, other times it'd crash graphics driver, other times yet it would BSOD the computer, and occasionally it would just freeze the game entirely forcing me to alt-tab out and close it in task manager.

After a couple weeks and reading through hundreds of pages of diablo 3 issues on forums I just gave up on playing it on PC.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Hi folks,

Thanks. 

What cpu do you have?  Is it overclocked?  Have you tried downclocking it, or increasing the voltage?  Also what power supply do you have?  And explain what you mean by crash.  Does the whole system lock up?  Does your monitor go black?  Does the game freeze, or does a crash report pop up? Do you get a blue screen?

Hi Speaker,

To answer your questions here goes.

1. Power supply is a Corsair CX 750 W

2. CPU Intel Core i5-4670K

3. Not over clocking cpu  

4. GPU came factory over clocked  it's a Evga SSC GTX 970

5. When it crashes I mean it reboots my computer, no BSOD or pop up of any kind 

6. I have not tried down clocking my GPU

Hi Speaker,

3. Not over clocking cpu  

Hmm, I've got the gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming and an i5 4690K and have no issues with diablo 3 at all.. :/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hi Speaker,

3. Not over clocking cpu  

Start by monitoring you cpu and gpu temps.

did you post this in the Blizzard forums? they might be able to help better

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Hi Speaker,

3. Not over clocking cpu  

Try this.  Open the control panel.  Open Administrative Tools. Open Event Viewer. Under "Event Viewer (Local)" you should find "Summary of Administrative Events".  Hit the + sign next to Critical Events to expand it.  If there are any critical events, double click them to get a description of what happened.

diablo 3 is an online game

so if its only d3 thats doing it

my first guess would be a network problem

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Speaker this is what I got from the event viewer.

- System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 2       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000000000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2015-06-27T02:27:27.537210600Z
      EventRecordID 120303       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer Bear-PC     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress false     PowerButtonTimestamp 0

are using an overlay program?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

- System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 2       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000000000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress false     PowerButtonTimestamp 0

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-lockups-and-crash-errors

- System
    - Provider
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData

That error happens when the computer loses power unexpectedly.  This error even appears when you hit the power/reset button your computer though.  It does not happen when you power you computer down normally.  Look at the timestamps, and if you are sure that you didn't hit the power/reset button at those times that means yeah, your computer did crash.  It could be a problem with the power supply, motherboard, or even the power coming from the outlet.

None of that stuff would cause the computer to unexpectedly lose power.

the game is crashing..and probably taking windows with it

he said no other games cause the pc to crash or anything

so its not a hardware problem

just throwing this out there...could it be a DirectX problem?

the game is crashing..and probably taking windows with it

he said no other games cause the pc to crash or anything

so its not a hardware problem

Could just be luck.  I would still make sure there isn't something wrong with the hardware.  OP, I would check your CPU and GPU temps, make sure nothing is overheating.  Running Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86 to make sure your RAM is okay.  Possibly try buying an uninterruptable power supply if you think the power coming from the wall might be unstable, possibly the air conditioning kicking on, is causing your computer to lose power?

If that stuff doesn't work I still think motherboard or power supply could be an issue.

Speaker,

I ran Memtest86 for over 9 hours with no errors noted. As for for checking the temp of my case,cpu and gpu is there a program that will store that information so I can see what they were just prior ti a crash and check it when the computer reboots?

Speaker,

I ran Memtest86 for over 9 hours with no errors noted. As for for checking the temp of my case,cpu and gpu is there a program that will store that information so I can see what they were just prior ti a crash and check it when the computer reboots?

MSI afterburner. Just go to settings, monitoring tab, make sure to enable the graphs for gpu temp, as well as cpu1, 2, 3, and 4 (one temp for each core), scroll to the bottom and enable log history to file.  All the data will be logged to a file in the afterburner folder contained within your programs folder.  Set hardware polling to 1000 milliseconds.  The file will get pretty large over time.  I dunno how long it takes before you usually find yourself crashing, but it shouldn't be a big deal.