Chroming Case

calebp123
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Has anyone ever attempted to chrome a case/ a part of a case? I heard it was pretty expensive to get stuff chrome plated, but wanted to know from somebody who had done it before. Thanks

Chroming your case with paint isn't very shiny in terms of real chrome it just give it a sliver finish and can't be buffed or polished. Chrome plate is a good option but also stripping down the entire case to bare metal and getting a shop to plate that will be a bit costly but doable.

I personally would recommend chrome vinyl wrap, it looks pretty much like chrome but just sticks on the case and fairly easy to do. I would go for some of the higher quality stuff since some of the thinner or cheaper wraps do have a slight orange peel texture.

Has anyone ever attempted to chrome a case/ a part of a case? I heard it was pretty expensive to get stuff chrome plated, but wanted to know from somebody who had done it before. Thanks

Chroming your case with paint isn't very shiny in terms of real chrome it just give it a sliver finish and can't be buffed or polished. Chrome plate is a good option but also stripping down the entire case to bare metal and getting a shop to plate that will be a bit costly but doable.

I personally would recommend chrome vinyl wrap, it looks pretty much like chrome but just sticks on the case and fairly easy to do. I would go for some of the higher quality stuff since some of the thinner or cheaper wraps do have a slight orange peel texture.

Have any brands you recommend? 

Have any brands you recommend? 

3M is probably the best of the best at this stuff, there is a brand I've heard of VViViD looks pretty good. It's mainly best to get a sample of piece to see the quality ad go from there.

I own a automotive restoration shop and my advice is to call your local plating shop and see if they'll work with you.  I send out lots of parts for chrome and nickel plating every year and if you're willing to do the majority of the prep work it can be pretty reasonable.  Granted I pay $500-$3000 to get a pair of bumpers done but if I have something smaller like a differential cover it's usually under $100 if I do the media blasting and don't need it in a hurry.