Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit on same hard drive? Different Partitions?

Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,

Is it possible to install Windows XP Pro 32-bit on my existing SSD that contains Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on two different partitions without any harm to the existing OS? Well let me rephrase that. I just installed WinXP on the same harddrive that my Win7 is installed on, but in another partition; did I damage the Win7 OS? If not, how can I boot to my Win7 because it keeps booting to my XP. I don't have the slightest clue why I didn't think before installing XP.

Its possible, but from experience I've always had more trouble installing XP Professional after installing Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium on the main partition. I've always had a lot less hassle simply installing XP first (while setting up the partition during installation), then installing Windows 7 on the second partition. I could do a test if you wanted me to, as this computer has Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (SSD), and I've got a Windows XP Pro 32 bit disc (though I really don't recommend running XP on an SSD without reading some tutorials-there is a lot of tweaking that needs to be done).

(BTW, I'm used to re-installing Windows-I frequently change my computer's set up, and normally I have to do a re-install of Windows, files are never lost since I have everything in my profile located on my 1TB HDD).

Is it possible to install Windows XP Pro 32-bit on my existing SSD that contains Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on two different partitions without any harm to the existing OS? Well let me rephrase that. I just installed WinXP on the same harddrive that my Win7 is installed on, but in another partition; did I damage the Win7 OS? If not, how can I boot to my Win7 because it keeps booting to my XP. I don't have the slightest clue why I didn't think before installing XP.

Yes you can do this.

You can boot to win7 by using the boot menu I think. (I've done this before, but it was a long time ago)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yes you can do this.

You can boot to win7 by using the boot menu I think. (I've done this before, but it was a long time ago)

When I go to the boot menu, It only shows my SSD, not the partition.

Its possible, but from experience I've always had more trouble installing XP Professional after installing Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium on the main partition. I've always had a lot less hassle simply installing XP first (while setting up the partition during installation), then installing Windows 7 on the second partition. I could do a test if you wanted me to, as this computer has Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (SSD), and I've got a Windows XP Pro 32 bit disc (though I really don't recommend running XP on an SSD without reading some tutorials-there is a lot of tweaking that needs to be done).

(BTW, I'm used to re-installing Windows-I frequently change my computer's set up, and normally I have to do a re-install of Windows, files are never lost since I have everything in my profile located on my 1TB HDD).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Oh alright. I am also used to installing OS frequently and fortunately that the computer I installed XP on is just my secondary computer, so I have no files to lose. It's just inconvenient if I can't get it to already boot, or give me an option to choose which OS I want to boot. If I can't get it to work, I'll just start over and re-install windows in that order. Thanks :)

Heyyo,

Install Windows XP first, then install Windows 7.

Windows is super picky like that on older versions.

That? Or you can try EasyBCD to create your own boot menu that can swap between the two.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Scroll down and register for the non-commercial / free version

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case