Asus geforce GTX 650 ti OC Problems

snake731

So I bought an Asus GTX 650 ti (not the directCU II one) graphics card a while back and I wanted to try overclocking it. Initially I was going in 10mhz increments, from 980, and got all the way up to 1130, but I was still running at about 52 fps in GTA IV, and then I did a furmark benchmark and the results were the same before and after too. I'm running an i3-3220 cpu, could that be the problem? Please help

People tend to overestimate how much performance difference there is from overclocking a GPU, also GTA is very CPU intensive.

What about temps?? New Nvidia cards have a boost clock, that is what you overclock, when the card hits 70C it would get the boost clock down a bit, if the temp keep rising the clock keep going down, so even if you overclock if the temp goes over 70C it will downclock itself. Maybe that is the issue.

Sorry for my bad english :)

Marv, I don't think it's that because the card never went above 62 or 63 degrees.

and Helltech, I figured with a 150mhz overclock, i"d get at least a few fps more, but it was literally the same or lower. With all the tests I did, ranging from 980mhz to 1130mhz, the fps was always between 51-53, and on the highest overclock, it was 50fps. And my fps was the same before and after with furmark. Could it be my i3-3220 bottlenecking?

It's possible the CPU can be causing the bottleneck but why are you using GTA IV to see if there is a performance increase?

It seems like the most gpu intensive game I have. Should I not be using it?

It seems like the most gpu intensive game I have. Should I not be using it?
Battlefield 3 might give you better and more accurate results because I think BF3 seems to be a very GPU intensive game.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer