New Phone

Stefano

Looking for my next phone, I am currently running a HTC One M7, which is old and tired. Mostly looking for a phone with good battery life as all I do is watch youtube /videos and browse the web, but I like it snappy. If you've got any other phone suggestions please say so.

The competition: https://www.digitec.ch/en/Comparison/2752906-3229511-2754637-3522644-3523083-4671449

1) Oneplus One

2) Nexus 6

3) Samsung Galaxy Note 4

4) Samsung Galaxy S6

5) Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

6) LG G4

I'm edging towards the Note 4 because of the big battery and the 1440p display. My least favourite is the nexus 6.

Cheers in advance.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I have to suggest the Note 4. I find it to be just awesome.

Awesome for viewing content because of the large screen and the amount of pixels. Battery life is much better than that of the Note 3 despite the upgraded screen and I've never experienced it getting that warm.

Sig under construction.

I have to suggest the Note 4. I find it to be just awesome.

Awesome for viewing content because of the large screen and the amount of pixels. Battery life is much better than that of the Note 3 despite the upgraded screen and I've never experienced it getting that warm.

Cool thank you.

I also have the note 4 and love it. It runs very well, it can get a little warm with extended or heavy use though. And battery life is great, lasts a full day for me with decent use.

Have you checked out the Xperia Z4? I just went from the M7 to the Z3 and honestly I love it. Its a amazing phone with an amazing build. Great 20.7 megapixel Zeiss camera. Waterproof. Front facing speakers and its hella sexy 

Otherwise from all that ive heard the LG G4 is an amazing phone

Edit: z3+ not z4

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Have you checked out the Xperia Z4? I just went from the M7 to the Z3 and honestly I love it. Its a amazing phone with an amazing build. Great 20.7 megapixel Zeiss camera. Waterproof. Front facing speakers and its hella sexy 

Otherwise from all that ive heard the LG G4 is an amazing phone

Yeah, its not really available in Switzerland atm. Also 1080p... I know that you can barely see the difference but I'm a bit of a spec whore.

Yeah, its not really available in Switzerland atm. Also 1080p... I know that you can barely see the difference but I'm a bit of a spec whore.

Lol but on a 5.2 inch panel vs 5.5 so not very noticable at all. Still a 810 so itll perform better with better battery life. 

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Lol but on a 5.2 inch panel vs 5.5 so not very noticable at all. Still a 810 so itll perform better with better battery life. 

Yeah I know, but we should be getting battery improvements with Android M

I have the OnePlus One, and I mostly use it like you. so:

- The battery has been amazing for me, it had NEVER died for me in 1 day, and I do use it a lot, for example for watching videos (I do that a lot) and browsing this forum (do that a lot too, at least an hour a day on my phone (lol that's a lot when I think about it)).

- The video watching is great, the screen is great, and the speakers are pretty good and loud too.

If you'd like more information on the OnePlus One, feel free to ask me :) but don't forget to either quote, or tag me, otherwise I won't see it ;)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

You should either get the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge or LG G4. Anything other than the Snapdragon 808 (So i mean the 810 and 805) should be heavily avoived due to extreme overheats, ive experienced that with 2 note 4's in the past and both got chewed up, so if a note 4 then its an Exynos one or not exactly a safe choice.

Groomlake Authority

You should either get the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge or LG G4. Anything other than the Snapdragon 808 (So i mean the 810 and 805) should be heavily avoived due to extreme overheats, ive experienced that with 2 note 4's in the past and both got chewed up, so if a note 4 then its an Exynos one or not exactly a safe choice.

Look at the price though, the s6 is a lot more expencive than the Note 4

And the S6 has a shorter battery life and is smaller. and the g4 has a shorter batter life.

And the S6 has a shorter battery life and is smaller. and the g4 has a shorter batter life.

Well where i live theres only 40€ difference from the n4 and the s6 64gb but then again its personal choice :P i dont believe the G4 has a worst battery than all those phones no matter what benchmark is made (unless i actually try it out) but then again thats personal belief. 

Groomlake Authority

S6 because it's a very well rounded phone. I do wish the edges were as seamless as the iPhone 6 though because they feel a bit sharp and out of place. I think the reason people complain about battery life on the S6 is because they use chrome rather than the stock browser. Chrome has none of the tweaks and optimizations that Samsung put into it so it'll be slower and require more cpu time and thus more battery. Just my theory though.

Note 4. I love my Note 4, running a custom ROM.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Well where i live theres only 40€ difference from the n4 and the s6 64gb but then again its personal choice :P i dont believe the G4 has a worst battery than all those phones no matter what benchmark is made (unless i actually try it out) but then again thats personal belief. 

Its a 100 euro difference here. The N4 is on offer..

Go with the G4. Samsungs Software-disaster (and now the not replaceable battery and the absence of a storage card slot) are not worth it anymore imo.

The issue that some users may see is the "suposed" upcoming G4 Pro which if comes with a larger display, a super snapdragon 820 14nm and a 27mpx rear camera and over 10mpx front camera it may be like comparing an s3 to an s6 :P

Groomlake Authority

Go with the G4. Samsungs Software-disaster (and now the not replaceable battery and the absence of a storage card slot) are not worth it anymore imo.

the g4s software is now heavier than samsungs latest, and the note has a replacable battery and sd card slot.

The issue that some users may see is the "suposed" upcoming G4 Pro which if comes with a larger display, a super snapdragon 820 14nm and a 27mpx rear camera and over 10mpx front camera it may be like comparing an s3 to an s6 :P

But they will charge an arm and a leg for it at launch. same as the note 5

Heyyo,

On contract? Sony Xperia Z3. Front facing dual speakers and the screen is great for videos. Best bang for your buck.

Second place on contract? Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Amazing screen as it is one of the best on a smartphone and fantastic battery life. Not so much bang for your buck but epic device.

Off contract? OnePlus One. I went from an HTC One M7 to this... and dayum! Epic upgrade for the price. I freaking love the screen, the battery life and how much fun it is to tweak this dang thing! Plus the camera is easily double the quality of that annoying HTC Ultrapixel. :P

Second place off contract? Saygus V Squared. It's a beast of a device with front facing harmon and kardon speakers... I hope this phone is everything they say it is. I'm unsure if they'll ship to you but you can try. It's also aiming to have literally almost all the LTE bands supported which is insanely sweet if they can pull that off.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/saygus-v-squared

https://www.saygus.com/

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

That depends largely on your usage.

I had an M7 like you, but I got the LG G4 a few days ago because my M7's battery is so shot, it can barely get 1.5 hours of SOT, not to mention my storage was getting full to the brim. Also, the camera on my M7 is beyond unusable. Any photo other than pure daylight would result in an extremely heavy purple tint that makes an image look horrible.

The G4 is pretty much night and day camera-wise. The G4 had so much more detail and is quicker to shoot. Not to mention low-light performance was just as good as my M7 before the purple-tint settled in. Expandable storage and the replaceable battery are nice bonuses to have and I put in a 128GB SD card and got an extra battery to take full advantage of it. In terms of battery life, 5.5 hours of SOT average with LTE browsing for half-a-day and watching videos as well as taking photos.

I personally recommend both the Note 4 and the LG G4. The Note 4 is a powerhouse and the S Pen brings a lot of stuff on a large phone, while the LG G4 has one heck of a camera, a more pleasant UI (based on my own personal experience, but you may like TouchWiz better) and a slightly smaller form factor. Both have microSD card slots and replaceable batteries, both have 3GB of LPDDR3, both have 1440p displays and both have 16MP cameras (the G4 has a wider f1.8 aperture and 3-axis OIS compared to the 2-axis OIS on the Note 4).

Oh, and the G4 has an 8MP front-facing camera compared to the 3.7MP front-shooter on the Note 4......if you're into that sort of stuff, which I'm not.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Want good pictures? The S6 and G4 have good cameras, I'd say the G4 is possibly better. 

Want customization and expandability? G4. With replaceable battery and SD card...

Want Cheaper/not the latest? Note4. 

Want to have something different? Z4/Z3+ or Zenphone. 

Also, if you get a G4 from an authorized seller, you get a free battery/battery dock and 32GB SD card through the end of this month. If through t-mobile, also get a 128GB SD card. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200