Help a Linux noob get better

Hey guys! so i recently installed LinuxMint 17.1 on my laptop to test out linux and get a good feel 

One of the things i want help with are the software, what software do you recommend or use? (like any program you use on linux and think everyone should run)

The other thing is drivers, how do i get the correct drivers for linux and stuff? because everything is working good except audio that keeps glitching out :/ 

what command lines do i need to learn the most? 

and does any of you know a good article or video that can teach me the basics of linux and the vocabulary involved in it?

any help with this would be great :) 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

Welcome to the dark side.

Regarding the audio issue, either look up the type of audio card in the laptop and consult the manufacturer's download section, or google for Linux drivers for that audio card.

Chances are someone already had that exact same issue and may have solved it.

As for "must have" programs, that really depends on your use.

If you're dualbooting, I'd suggest grub customizer.

That'll allow you to set up preferences for the dualboot, such as automatic OS selection (Windows, Linux, last used) or time to choose before it selects the default option.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-cutomizer

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Steam would also be an option if the laptop is powerful enough to game.

As for commands you really need to know, I barely use the Terminal but I do find it faster to update the system through the Terminal than through the GUI.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade