Best Version?

ryyo96

Hi Everyone!

So, I've been told to upgrade to the 980ti instead of going for 2 970's in SLI. What is the best version of the 980ti in regards to price, performance and a low noise level?

What's the 980ti Hybrid like? Should I consider that card instead of the normal 980ti?

Thanks.

Hey!

In regards for seeking to purchase the 980ti, I suggest in you investing a single 980!

But before considering this, what games are you going to be playing, and can you please list your system specs below?

:)

MSI cards tend to be my go to for cheap but quiet cards, their cooler design is top notch.

There's also one coming from Asus which will probably be good, but it will probably cost an extra few percent.

https://www.techpowerup.com/img/15-06-02/41b.jpg

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Hey!

In regards for seeking to purchase the 980ti, I suggest in you investing a single 980!

But before considering this, what games are you going to be playing, and can you please list your system specs below?

I'm looking to play games like GTA 5, Battlefield 4, Farcry 4. Basically most shooter games. Maybe some driving/racing games as well. This is the PC build:

[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/34HvQ7) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/34HvQ7/by_merchant/)

So I was going to go for a single 980ti but you are saying go for the single 980?

if you already own a 970, get a second one, if not, get a 980ti.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Hey!

Oh! Forgot to say this. The games I hope to play at max settings or close to it on a 1080p monitor. I'll be upgrading to a 1440p monitor at 144hz in the future no doubt.

Oh! Forgot to say this. The games I hope to play at max settings or close to it on a 1080p monitor. I'll be upgrading to a 1440p monitor at 144hz in the future no doubt.

definitely 980Ti then.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Hi Everyone!

So, I've been told to upgrade to the 980ti instead of going for 2 970's in SLI. What is the best version of the 980ti in regards to price, performance and a low noise level?

What's the 980ti Hybrid like? Should I consider that card instead of the normal 980ti?

Thanks.

if you go hibrid you need room for a radiator

Hello!

In regards to your purchase, I strongly go against your purchase of the 980ti. 1080p? Max settings? At all you should only be thinking of the 980! Even a 290x will do you fine (if you excuse the power usage & heat output). In the end, the choice is yours, but that is how I would spend the money!

(edit) Even if you wish to play on 1440p, the 980 will still perform excellent for you! Only wish to upgrade to a 980Ti if you wish to play at 4K resolution!

Edited by leunaM

it would be better to wait till the amd Fury comes out and then you can decide on what gpu you want the 980ti or Fury

If you're going 1440p @144hz, I say go for the 980 ti if you have the money, more FPS is always better.

Although it depends on what FPS you want, of the top of my head, a 980 will play demanding games at 1440p at like 50-70fps, and a 980 ti will be like 110 or so.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1