Ethernet Switch for RPi Cluster + Internet?~

Go to solution Solved by 2FA,

There shouldn't be any issues. Switches will only send the data packets that they MAC addressed to.

Okay so I'm constructing (with a friend of mine who has lots of experience with RPis) an external streaming PC for Twitch streaming using OBS. The cluster of four RPis will be connected through ethernet (using a six port ethernet switch) to the host computer, which is a mac mini, that will be dual booted and running Windows 8. The only problem is networking. The mac mini we're using does not have a Thunderbolt port, has four USB 2.0, a single ethernet port, and a firewire 800 (whichever one is the latest iteration). We would normally just buy a streaming PC that we can connect all our capture cards to, and stream, but we don't have the money for that. 

What I'm asking is if I get a six port Ethernet switch, can I connect one as the host port to the Mac Mini, four to the RPis, and one to an ethernet cable plugged into our router? Will that work? I could also do a USB 2.0 ethernet adapter...or WiFi, but the issue with WiFi is we are putting the entire system inside a gutted Mac Pro (not the trashcan one, the massive one) and there may be connection issues because of the material of the case...what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

There isn't a need to connect the Mac to a host port as switches are intelligent enough to know what is connected to each port using MAC addresses. Therefore, it will automatically send the packets to whatever RPi you designate, or all four if you choose. This also applies to the router for access to the internet.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

There isn't a need to connect the Mac to a host port as switches are intelligent enough to know what is connected to each port using MAC addresses. Therefore, it will automatically send the packets to whatever RPi you designate, or all four if you choose. This also applies to the router for access to the internet.

Okay so I can connect the ethernet for the internet to it as well as the RPis without issue?

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

There shouldn't be any issues. Switches will only send the data packets that they MAC addressed to.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Right. Thanks!