A simple guide on how to consolidate Steam Libraries.

Hi guys, 

@JaredB asked a question that made me want to do a simple guide on consolidating Steam Libraries. 

I do this a lot as I have 2 SSD's and an HDD. I move games I'm done playing to the HDD and ones I want to start playing (pre-downloaded ahead of time of course) from the HDD to the SSD. 

Now then, let's get to it.

1. Find the old Steam Library in it's storage location. Usually under Program Files (x86) assuming you installed it to the default location on an OS drive.

9350193030_57d6bc5a7f_b.jpg

2. Cut it from that location (the entire Steam folder) and paste it into the location of the new Steam folder that was recently created.

Old Steam Folder:
    9350193010_87d9a476a1_b.jpg

New Steam Folder:
    9350192922_1d466136c0_b.jpg

3. It will ask if you want to merge the two folders, click yes/Merge.

ku-medium.jpg

4. It may ask if you want to replace the files with the same names with the ones you are pasting, click "Replace".

And you are done with this part. All your saves, information, and games should be transferred. Now continue to the next step, getting your games recognized by Steam.
Hmm, I seem to be having trouble doing this without an actual "old" Steam installation. I tried it with my own just copy/pasting the same one, but it creates a Steam - Copy folder instead. Not sure on why that's happening but I think it's not a problem for everyone and just me, but I could be wrong. I'll figure it out at some point, I'm sure.

This is very simple.

1. Right click the game in your Library page on the Steam program.

9347428783_a8d4f21806_b.jpg

2. Click "Install game..."

9347428227_4d197a9cac_b.jpg

3. Select the location where you pasted the game to and select the library within it.

9350211618_112825f4ff_b.jpg

4. Let Steam discover the files that are already there (all of them) and instantly install your game.

And that's it. Do that for each game and you are done. Your Steam games and saves should have been transferred and fully recognized by Steam. Congratulations.

This is just as simple as having the games be recognized by Steam.

1. Go to the Steam Library's contents on the Storage Drive (without the OS).

9350265698_515b2f14d4_b.jpg

2. Copy that Library's contents.
  3. Paste them into the Steam folder.

9350265638_e4f05c6281_b.jpg

Let it merge/replace files if necessary. Then just go back and tell Steam to install your games like outlined above.

Don't worry about registry edits and the like, as Steam will take care of that kind of stuff for you when you click "Install game...". It's part of how the program operates. Pretty epic honestly. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Good write up, i'll definatly be doing this as ive been playing games off my hdd rather than my ssd.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I like to use steam mover I think is what it's called(away from good computer) and that is nice and easy to transfer games between my ssd and hdd.