ups suggestions

th3dud3
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

So, after my PSU died this weekend I am going to be investing in a ups in order to have a little extra safety. It should be line interactive and filter the output as i suspect that my wall supply is less than perfect in this old house. It should also be able to supply 700w or more for a few minutes in case of power outage.

Any suggestions?

It mainly depends on the max load your system will apply and not the actual PSU amount but in general APC is pretty well know for their UPS.

Something like this should fit your needs and then some, it is a smart UPS so it can shutdown your PC for you if there is an extended power outage.:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200G-RS&total_watts=200

So, after my PSU died this weekend I am going to be investing in a ups in order to have a little extra safety. It should be line interactive and filter the output as i suspect that my wall supply is less than perfect in this old house. It should also be able to supply 700w or more for a few minutes in case of power outage.

Any suggestions?

Screen: AOC u3477Pqu 60Hz@3440x1440 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k GPU: 2x sli MSI GTX 980 OCV1  Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR  Case: Define R5  SSD Storage: 840 EVO 500GB HDD Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  PSU: EVGA supernova G2 850W  RAM: 16GB hyperX 1866 (2x8GB) Cooling:Custom water loop with 2x280 radiators

Any suggestions?

It mainly depends on the max load your system will apply and not the actual PSU amount but in general APC is pretty well know for their UPS.

Something like this should fit your needs and then some, it is a smart UPS so it can shutdown your PC for you if there is an extended power outage.:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200G-RS&total_watts=200

Any suggestions?

APC's website won't load for me at the moment, but I would go with an APC UPS, since they make good stuff(I would avoid Cyberpower if you can). Cyberpower is cheap, but you get what you pay for really(poor lifespan and terrible simulated sinewave).

APC's website won't load for me at the moment, but I would go with an APC UPS, since they make good stuff(I would avoid Cyberpower if you can). Cyberpower is cheap, but you get what you pay for really(poor lifespan and terrible simulated sinewave).

Cyberpower is a lower end or more value oriented UPS but not bad in general, they have pure sinewave UPS's which are considered better.

I know a few business that use them for their servers and main networking equipment with good results. The main thing is the batteries those are always the first things to go on any UPS.

Well the load will vary with use of course, but the system I will be connecting is the setup in my Sig. Both the CPU and gpu's are running respectable overclocks, so I'm not quite sure of max power draw. Will be getting a wall watt meter later today to quantify draw under gaming load, can update afterwards.

I mainly want the ability to have time to safely shutdown the PC if the power goes while under full load, that and protect from line transients

Screen: AOC u3477Pqu 60Hz@3440x1440 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k GPU: 2x sli MSI GTX 980 OCV1  Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR  Case: Define R5  SSD Storage: 840 EVO 500GB HDD Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  PSU: EVGA supernova G2 850W  RAM: 16GB hyperX 1866 (2x8GB) Cooling:Custom water loop with 2x280 radiators

I'm currently looking at this one... BlueWalker PW UPS VI1500 LCD 1500VA.

Anyone have any experience with this brand?

I'm currently looking at this one... BlueWalker PW UPS VI1500 LCD 1500VA.

Anyone have any experience with this brand?

I've never heard of that one before be from looking just at it generally it does have a modified sinewave which is good and reasonable transfer time going onto backup mode. 

http://www.powerwalker.com/datasheet/Line-Interactive/PowerWalker%20VI%201500%20LCD.pdf

Cyberpower is a lower end or more value oriented UPS but not bad in general, they have pure sinewave UPS's which are considered better.

I know a few business that use them for their servers and main networking equipment with good results. The main thing is the batteries those are always the first things to go on any UPS.

Yeah, I cant really speak for the business grade stuff from Cyberpower since I don't have any experience with that, but I have plenty experience with the consumer grade stuff, most of which has been bad experiences. I have the real low end units for my laptops and lights(since having lights on in power outages is nice), and basically they are fine for that, but I've had two units fail due to the charging circuit blowing. My higher end "tower" unit is just a quitter, and is severely over rated by Cyberpower(this really concerns me about their other products). You can really only use it for up to 50% load, if you use more and the power goes out so does the unit, which is very disappointing(does 600w not mean 600w? lol). Its one of the "pure sine wave" units, but I can tell you that its not even close to a smooth wave since all of my power adapters hum when its on battery.

I've only recently started replacing all of my units with APC and not only do they just feel like higher quality, but electronically they are higher quality too, since I haven't had any failures yet(one has been running for over a year) nor do my power adapters hum loudly on battery(they still hum, but not even close to my other CP units). If op needs to save a few bucks, they are okay I guess, but I personally would spend the little extra to get the higher quality stuff, since like PSU's, skimping on these things could come back to haunt you.

Also when I worked in retail(two years ago, at Best Buy then Microcenter), I can tell you that both the return rate and failure rate is much higher than APC's(and Tripplites). Return rate was close to 3:1, while the failure rate was close to 5:1. This could vary since my sample size isn't huge, but its scary to see in person.

-SNIP-

Hmm that's unfortunate, the business was running consumer stuff since it was a small general business information server and networking for the office.

I can say though APC's stuff handles time very well I have a smaller unit I use for networking equipment now but it's a good 7 year or so and it's still working strong. I've overloaded the small unit multiple times with my PC tripping the overpower protection before I switched out for a larger smart UPS which is great.

thanks all for the feedback... since there seems to be a consensus for APC units then i think i will just tuck away a little bit more and spring for one of those. the PSU i had before was a cheap one, and seeing as how it just died, i can testify you get what you pay for.  i hope my new EVGA g2 850w will show to be a good investment. 

i just measured my load at peak by running firestrike, and it seems like i am just south of 600W from the wall when running full load.

i couldnt find the unit you suggested, but i could find the 1500VA version in my preferred web store, its about twice the price as the one i was looking at, but i'd rather pay now than pay the consequences of going cheap later...

thanks again!