How does MX Red switches feel compared to MX Blue?

Go to solution Solved by Jackbe,

Will those extra 5 grams of actuation force that are on blues have a big difference?

Most likely no. I have used both I can tell that the reds are essentially hair triggers, but the blues were pretty light too.

Will I feel a big difference with red, since they don't have tactile feedback?

There is a difference because the reds are linear, but if you bottom out you should be good after getting used to them. However, if you make use of the bump and click of the blues to know where the actuation point is (usually fast typists do this), then it will be harder to get used to the reds.

Generally how do they feel compared to blues?

Reds are very light. As I said before, they are like hair triggers in a sense, so the slightest tap will actuate them. This is good for gaming, but it does take a bit of getting used to because you have to be more sensitive. The blues will most likely feel nicer to type on, but for gaming the reds will probably feel better.

You will have to take this with a grain of salt because keyswitch choice is down to personal preference. I have said reds will probably be better for gaming, but many people like to game with blues or browns. Also, some people prefer reds for typing.

If you don't want to bite the bullet and buy the keyboard, I would suggest buying a sample set from WASD Keyboards - http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1/wasd-sampler-kit.html, a friend did this and we both tried them out and came up with our conclusions. It is harder to judge from just one key, but it will give you a much better feel for them if you can't try a keyboard with reds.

Hope this helps :D

So I've been thinking about getting a new Keyboard and the Corsair K95 looks like the perfect choice if it had MX Blue Switches.

I really want it, but as a current blue user on my Razer Blackwidow 2012 I'm used to blues.

The clicking isn't necessary but I don't know about the tactile feedback, since the blackwidow was my first mechanical keyboard I'm not sure what the difference is with the tactile feedback.

So here are the questions:

Will those extra 5 grams of actuation force that are on blues have a big difference?

Red Cherry MX Switches
real_red_cherrymx.jpg A light, linear mechanical switch that is nice for typing and great for gamers looking for something lighter than Cherry Blacks.

Blue Cherry MX Switches
real_blue_cherrymx.jpg A lighter mechanical switch with noticable tactile and audible feedback. Outstanding for typing, but also the switch of choice for some gaming brands as well.

Blues are clicky and loud--very tactical.

Reds slide up and down quite easily and are good for gamers who quickly taps keys.

Try out a keyboard/key before you take the gamble on it. If you try one you like better, go ahead and get it instead of risking regret.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As said above. My thoughts, can't tell the feeling unless you try them. Here's the sound on them when it hits to the bottom.
Red :

and

Blue :

Though the actuation force on the Blues is only 5g more, because the Blues have tactile feedback, they will have a pressure point before the switch actuates, and it will take more force to get past that point, about 60g.

8846736e_785448034edc7cebb9ea660c5f11e28

Reds have no such tactile feedback, so there's no such pressure point to get past.

2ba1cb3e_9279fc1cdccd524650ec6151a3d2d0f

So the difference in actuation force is actually more like 15g.

Basically, Reds will feel much lighter than Blues.  If you're used to your BlackWidow, you'd probably have a lot of accidental keypresses when typing on Reds, and they'd feel mushier because of their linearity.

If I were you, I'd stick with Blues.

Supposedly Reds are better for gaming, but that only matters for really hardcore RTS/MMO/MOBA players who depend on very rapid keypresses.

(Images from http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Really no way to actually describe the difference between Red and Blue, sure you know Blue's tactile and requires 50g force to actuate, and that Red's linear and requires only 45g force to actuate the switch. But what does this mean? It means diddly, you'd have to try the switch yourself and decide for yourself whether you either like Red, can deal with it, or totally hate the switch. It's a question of personal preference and only you can decide. I have, at my disposal, various KB's with various switch types....from Red to Black to Brown to Blue to Green, I like 'em all. One thing about Red, it's responsive, but it's a tad of a challenge to type with. It's so light and linear that you'd find yourself making typos and accidentally depressing a key or two now and then. Try out the Red for yourself, then decide....don't buy a KB simply because you like the design. You'd still be using it long after the novelty of it has worn off, it's then that the right switch type matters......don't make the mistake of choosing form over function.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Most likely no. I have used both I can tell that the reds are essentially hair triggers, but the blues were pretty light too.

There is a difference because the reds are linear, but if you bottom out you should be good after getting used to them. However, if you make use of the bump and click of the blues to know where the actuation point is (usually fast typists do this), then it will be harder to get used to the reds.

Reds are very light. As I said before, they are like hair triggers in a sense, so the slightest tap will actuate them. This is good for gaming, but it does take a bit of getting used to because you have to be more sensitive. The blues will most likely feel nicer to type on, but for gaming the reds will probably feel better.

You will have to take this with a grain of salt because keyswitch choice is down to personal preference. I have said reds will probably be better for gaming, but many people like to game with blues or browns. Also, some people prefer reds for typing.

If you don't want to bite the bullet and buy the keyboard, I would suggest buying a sample set from WASD Keyboards - http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1/wasd-sampler-kit.html, a friend did this and we both tried them out and came up with our conclusions. It is harder to judge from just one key, but it will give you a much better feel for them if you can't try a keyboard with reds.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

That's a great idea. I wouldn't really want to take the shot on a K95 and find out that I don't like the reds. I'll try to order them. Thanks!

main thing with reds that some people hate/leave them for is that they highlight sloppy typing

since they're so sensitive, if you even slightly graze a key, it will probably register. I hated it, until I took a step back and told myself it's because I'm not as accurate a typer as I think I am

for instance, if you feel so comfortable with typing that you type words in one set of finger motions - if you're not accurate with those and graze keys, you will just type up a garbled mess

now I'm actually re-teaching myself to actually type each key rather than "swaft"-ing through the motions - if that made any sense

so I love reds. imo, they feel like the "hardcore" switch. very unforgiving, but feel so instant and direct. I simply felt like I moved smoother and faster the first time I gamed on reds

I have used both reds and blues and I like reds better. My hands are really light, so the blues were a little hard to type on. I do miss the tactile bump when typing(not when gaming!), so I want to try browns one day. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers