Student Gaming Build

Wiplive
Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

So should I go for the non-K model? So I think I'm going for the cheapest motherboard, it's Z97 PC Mate from MSI. What do you think about the PC build from ZetZet? Should I go for it? It is also from the same shop I am going to buy, I don't even know how he managed to know that. :D

His build has better performance now. For me personally, I change platform (cpu/mobo) infrequently. I'm still running an i7-920 from Q4 2008. However in that time I've had 3 different GPUs. As such, when I build my own PC I tend to focus more on CPU performance. The GTX 960 will play all the games you're talking about well at 1080p, so while his does perform better, right now it's not in a way that you care about (except maybe higher settings on GTA V) as your monitor wont display FPS over 60 anyway. Remember when comparing CPUs of the same architecture, clock ratios are an easy way of doing it. The i5-4460 boosts up to 3.4 GHz, whereas the i5-4690k can usually easily hit speeds of 4.6 GHz on the 212 Evo, making the 4690k perform roughly 35% faster. For me that's worth it since it means I can use the platform longer, but not everyone keeps their computers as long as I do. Keep in mind it's only worth it if the GTX 960 really does meet your needs, and since you're just driving a 1080p panel I would say it does.

Hello, so I'm a student and I'm building my first decent computer mainly for gaming.

Budget & Location

I live in Latvia and my budget is around 850€. I am buying from a local internet shop, stuff is about the same price as in Germany. 

Aim

I will mostly be playing some light games on 1080p monitor, sometimes something like GTA V or BF4. Usually CS:GO, Skyrim, Minecraft, Unturned, FIFA, Portal 2. I have been using a mid-range laptop for over a year now playing on low resolutions, so I'd like to play them on pretty high settings. I am also learning programming, sometimes I make stuff on the schools 3D printer. I am also using Adobe Creative Suite CC from time to time, usually Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, After Effects & Premiere Pro. 

Monitors

I'll be using 2 monitors, for now I will use some cheap 1366x768 monitor I have lying around, later I'll be adding proper 1080p monitor.

Why are you upgrading?

Using laptop for gaming and Adobe programs with 4 GB RAM is hard, so I've been looking to buy a proper computer, not an expensive one but I hope it will be a big improvement.

Here's the build I've made, I want you to tell me what should I change? I am also going to overclock both the CPU and GPU.

• Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate or MSI Z97-G43 or MSI Z97 Gaming 5 (I really don't know, I think I will need SLI for future, so I want to know if Gaming 5 is worth it.)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K (Later going to overclock it after I get a cooler.)
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB(1 stick for now, later upgrading to 2.)
  • SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB (Should I save a few bucks and get HyperX Fury?)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G
  • PSU: Corsair CX600 or Fortron FSP ATX 2.3 600W 80+ Silver (Are there any cheaper alternatives?)
  • Case: Cooler Master Silencio 452

So I want to know what should I change, these parts are for my max budget, I can't afford more only if I make compromise on something else, like getting cheaper motherboard. I might get a cheap case from my school and later buy a good one, so I'll save 60€ there. So, what are your opinions?

Given your GPU and PSU choice, going SLI in the future is really stupid and you'd have to replace both before you go SLI. A GTX 960 is not a card you want to SLI, and the PSU is not a PSU that can handle an overclocked CPU and two overclocked GPUs. Maxwell's "efficiency" mostly comes from underclocked and undervolted stock cards, so believe it or not a GTX 970 pulls close to the same amount of power as an R9 290 once both are overclocked. Yes it's still less, but close to. Just get the cheaper Z97 board, so long as it has at least 4 phase heat-sinked VRMs, you'll be fine for overclocking.

One thing I noticed is that you lack an aftermarket cooler. Without one, the K series CPU and Z chipset mobo are wasted expenses. Just get a Cooler Master 212 Evo as it's very cheap and still very good. Just make sure you get a case big enough to fit it.

edit: here would be a similar build that does everything you'd want it to:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€242.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€34.70 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€88.08 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€59.28 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€88.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  (€202.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case  (€70.96 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€74.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €862.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-08 14:54 CEST+0200

Normally I'd get either an R9 280 or R9 280x as the GTX 960 is overpriced for its performance, but for some reason in Germany the GTX 960 is even cheaper than the R9 280. If you must skimp, the case is one place you can, and then you could get a less efficient PSU, but the Superflower units are excellent which is why I included it.

Edited by Lotus

Not a fan of overclocking on a budget, this is what I would build. 

https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=JYtBDgAgCMO%2BxBhT0P%2F%2FS9FTmybNELGwa8irOal5CeNItiDSX4HsFxeznwM%3D

Much more frames for the same amount of money.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Not a fan of overclocking on a budget, this is what I would build. 

https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=JYtBDgAgCMO%2BxBhT0P%2F%2FS9FTmybNELGwa8irOal5CeNItiDSX4HsFxeznwM%3D

Much more frames for the same amount of money.

Wow, you even knew the place I am going to buy from, what about the CPU, does it have worse performance? And is 650W PSU enough for 290X and what about 290Xs loudness/power usage. And should I not buy the case because I have old cases at school but they might not have good airflow.

Wow, you even knew the place I am going to buy from, what about the CPU, does it have worse performance? And is 650W PSU enough for 290X and what about 290Xs loudness/power usage. And should I not buy the case because I have old cases at school but they might not have good airflow.

You should get the case, old cases have no airflow and rattle like crazy.

650W is enough for 290x definitely and tri-x is one of the better coolers for 290x it's not loud at all.

4460 has very slightly less performance, but it has much better performance/price ratio and it can handle any game with no problem at all, programs fly on i3's anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Given your GPU and PSU choice, going SLI in the future is really stupid and you'd have to replace both before you go SLI. A GTX 960 is not a card you want to SLI, and the PSU is not a PSU that can handle an overclocked CPU and two overclocked GPUs. Maxwell's "efficiency" mostly comes from underclocked and undervolted stock cards, so believe it or not a GTX 970 pulls close to the same amount of power as an R9 290 once both are overclocked. Yes it's still less, but close to. Just get the cheaper Z97 board, so long as it has at least 4 phase heat-sinked VRMs, you'll be fine for overclocking.

One thing I noticed is that you lack an aftermarket cooler. Without one, the K series CPU and Z chipset mobo are wasted expenses. Just get a Cooler Master 212 Evo as it's very cheap and still very good. Just make sure you get a case big enough to fit it.

edit: here would be a similar build that does everything you'd want it to:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Normally I'd get either an R9 280 or R9 280x as the GTX 960 is overpriced for its performance, but for some reason in Germany the GTX 960 is even cheaper than the R9 280. If you must skimp, the case is one place you can, and then you could get a less efficient PSU, but the Superflower units are excellent which is why I included it.

So should I go for the non-K model? So I think I'm going for the cheapest motherboard, it's Z97 PC Mate from MSI. What do you think about the PC build from ZetZet? Should I go for it? It is also from the same shop I am going to buy, I don't even know how he managed to know that. :D

His build has better performance now. For me personally, I change platform (cpu/mobo) infrequently. I'm still running an i7-920 from Q4 2008. However in that time I've had 3 different GPUs. As such, when I build my own PC I tend to focus more on CPU performance. The GTX 960 will play all the games you're talking about well at 1080p, so while his does perform better, right now it's not in a way that you care about (except maybe higher settings on GTA V) as your monitor wont display FPS over 60 anyway. Remember when comparing CPUs of the same architecture, clock ratios are an easy way of doing it. The i5-4460 boosts up to 3.4 GHz, whereas the i5-4690k can usually easily hit speeds of 4.6 GHz on the 212 Evo, making the 4690k perform roughly 35% faster. For me that's worth it since it means I can use the platform longer, but not everyone keeps their computers as long as I do. Keep in mind it's only worth it if the GTX 960 really does meet your needs, and since you're just driving a 1080p panel I would say it does.

His build has better performance now. For me personally, I change platform (cpu/mobo) infrequently. I'm still running an i7-920 from Q4 2008. However in that time I've had 3 different GPUs. As such, when I build my own PC I tend to focus more on CPU performance. The GTX 960 will play all the games you're talking about well at 1080p, so while his does perform better, right now it's not in a way that you care about (except maybe higher settings on GTA V) as your monitor wont display FPS over 60 anyway. Remember when comparing CPUs of the same architecture, clock ratios are an easy way of doing it. The i5-4460 boosts up to 3.4 GHz, whereas the i5-4690k can usually easily hit speeds of 4.6 GHz on the 212 Evo, making the 4690k perform roughly 35% faster. For me that's worth it since it means I can use the platform longer, but not everyone keeps their computers as long as I do.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I have higher chance of changing my GPU in the future than the CPU. But people say that I shouldn't overclock, so should I save those 20€ and get the normal 4690 because cheaper motherboards don't have overclocking capabilities. Should I go for the cheap AsRock one? And which PSU should I get from these: http://www.1a.lv/datoru_komponentes/barosanas_bloki/filter/433_c:436_c:438_c ?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I have higher chance of changing my GPU in the future than the CPU. But people say that I shouldn't overclock, so should I save those 20€ and get the normal 4690 because cheaper motherboards don't have overclocking capabilities. Should I go for the cheap AsRock one?

Uh, why shouldn't you overclock? There's no downside unless you're an idiot and send too much voltage to your CPU. As long as you don't do that, worst case scenario is you're unstable, so your bios will detect failed boot and reset itself, and if not you just remove the CMOS battery to return to stock settings and voila, you're all good. The only danger to your hardware is if you overvolt your CPU, which you wont do because you're not an idiot.

H97 boards are fine if you're getting the locked CPU since you're only losing a feature you couldn't use anyway. The ASRock H97 anniversary is a fine motherboard, just get the ATX version as the mATX has crappy VRMs and so I'd avoid it.

Uh, why shouldn't you overclock? There's no downside unless you're an idiot and send too much voltage to your CPU. As long as you don't do that, worst case scenario is you're unstable, so your bios will detect failed boot and reset itself, and if not you just remove the CMOS battery to return to stock settings and voila, you're all good. The only danger to your hardware is if you overvolt your CPU, which you wont do because you're not an idiot.

I was just wondering if my motherboard is good enough. Also, which PSU should I get? Corsair CX600 or Fortron FSP Raider 650?

So far I have this build: https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=Jcq5AQAgDMPAlWLnh%2F33AkKlK0SDcmG3SeYthCE20Cj96KgHuPQ8NGdfHA%3D%3D

What else to change? Should I change the PSU or RAM? And which GPU variant to get?

https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=JcnHDQAwDMPAlSRZcdr%2Be6X4xQMoM7S4ZWPcEkr4I3JEYWYtz8YHNtQSjX5xAA%3D%3D

Not sure if the GPU is cheaper due to something weird, but I see no reason to pay more for less. The MX200 is unnecessarilly more expensive than the BX100. Yes the MX200 will perform slightly better, but I don't think that extra performance is worth the cost increase. I fit in the aftermarket cooler, and it costs a bit less. I also changed the case to one with two included fans and dust filters, plus it costs less. There may be better options, but I can't really navigate that site because I don't speak the language. I would look for a different PSU, but I don't know how, and I would also look for a dual channel kit over the single channel as the motherboard has 4 slots so dual channel will still leave room for expansion, but again I don't know how.

https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=JcnHDQAwDMPAlSRZcdr%2Be6X4xQMoM7S4ZWPcEkr4I3JEYWYtz8YHNtQSjX5xAA%3D%3D

Not sure if the GPU is cheaper due to something weird, but I see no reason to pay more for less. The MX200 is unnecessarilly more expensive than the BX100. Yes the MX200 will perform slightly better, but I don't think that extra performance is worth the cost increase. I fit in the aftermarket cooler, and it costs a bit less. I also changed the case to one with two included fans and dust filters, plus it costs less. There may be better options, but I can't really navigate that site because I don't speak the language. I would look for a different PSU, but I don't know how, and I would also look for a dual channel kit over the single channel as the motherboard has 4 slots so dual channel will still leave room for expansion, but again I don't know how.

Ok, wow, at first I my build cost 950€ and now you got it down to 830€! I think that's what I'm going for. So I'm going to upgrade the RAM after summer probably. Is it going to be quiet? Also, does this GPU have the fan idle when under light load? Thank you very much.

Ok, wow, at first I my build cost 950€ and now you got it down to 830€! I think that's what I'm going for. So I'm going to upgrade the RAM after summer probably. Is it going to be quiet? Also, does this GPU have the fan idle when under light load? Thank you very much.

So long as you plug the case's fans into the motherboards fan headers, you can control them that way and tune them to your liking in your bios (or just run the motherboard's utility in OS). The GPU doesn't have a silent mode, but is still supposed to be fairly quiet, but I have no experience with that specific GPU. The 212 Evo is also noticeably quieter than the stock CPU fan. Honestly the big concern here for me would likely be your PSU fan, but I have no real experience with it so I could be wrong. Your case fans might also be a bit loud if you didn't tune them in bios.

The SuperFlower suggested is an excellent PSU. Don't get Corsair CX. They are overpriced and only have a 3 year warranty to go along with their mediocre internals.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

The SuperFlower suggested is an excellent PSU. Don't get Corsair CX. They are overpriced and only have a 3 year warranty to go along with their mediocre internals.

The problem is it's not available from the shop I'm buying. And I don't want to buy from Amazon because shipping takes at least a month and is expensive from Germany. What other PSU do you suggest from here: http://www.1a.lv/datoru_komponentes/barosanas_bloki ?

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

This one will be quiet, yes. It has 5 year warranty, there is a reason the Corsair has a 3 year warranty only - because it's not built to last.

This one will be quiet, yes. It has 5 year warranty, there is a reason the Corsair has a 3 year warranty only - because it's not built to last.

Alright, 80 Plus gold seems to be worth it, especially as PSU is the one component I'm not going to change for a long time. 

Is this good: https://www.1a.lv/order/shopping_cart?content=JYrBEQAgCMNWolAQdP%2B9RHwld4mSkhtnBdWa5ZL1GG5oQizSvlTkCMsnod9JCspquQ%3D%3D 

EDIT: The Fractal Design PSU has only 2 year warranty. I don't think it's good enough.

Guys should I go with the Asrock Z97 Anniversary or MSI Z97 PC Mate?

MSI. ASRock imo are very meh.