Windows 10 Automatic Download

So I keep seeing stuff like "Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance" and "we’ll take care of downloading those files for you and let you know when you are ready to get started."

I don't want to have it download automatically, I want to chose when to download it. I don't want to be in the middle of gaming of streaming content and have it lag and buffer because of the download. If I have windows update set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" do you think it will let me choose when to download it?

I'm sure you don't have to hit the reserve button right now, that way you can avoid installing it on their time. Just wait for release and install it when you want. It will be free for a year afterall, you will have plenty of time. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm sure you don't have to hit the reserve button right now, that way you can avoid installing it on their time. Just wait for release and install it when you want. It will be free for a year afterall, you will have plenty of time. :)

Good idea, except I already reserved it... lol

Good idea, except I already reserved it... lol

I don't think you can turn if off but maybe someone who has hit the reserve button can give you more details. You might want to ask in this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/378475-windows-10-upgrade-thread-join-in/page-3

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't think you can turn if off but maybe someone who has hit the reserve button can give you more details. You might want to ask in this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/378475-windows-10-upgrade-thread-join-in/page-3

An email from MS:

You’ve just reserved your free upgrade using the “Get Windows 10” app. You can also use the app to confirm the reservation, check to see if your device is compatible with Windows 10, and un-reserve if you wish to cancel your reservation prior to your Windows 10 upgrade. 

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

An email from MS:

You’ve just reserved your free upgrade using the “Get Windows 10” app. You can also use the app to confirm the reservation, check to see if your device is compatible with Windows 10, and un-reserve if you wish to cancel your reservation prior to your Windows 10 upgrade. 

Perfect! Thanks for sharing! :)

An email from MS:

Thanks, Just un-reserved. Plus I think I'll wait a while to see how the launch goes before I upgrade.