laptop running hot

ultralars

So as off late my laptop(msi gt70 dominator) has been running hot as i am writing(only using firefox and word) this my gpu temp is 75 and cpu 63, i have this turbo button which turn the fans up to max, when activated it slowly reduces the temperature, after one minute its down to gpu 65 and cpu 53, so not very effective given nothing is running. Also watt use i much higher than it used to be before.

i am wondering if a windows reinstall might fix this? given the high watt usage( battery life is 3 times lower than before, and watt use is much higher), and some other issues like the computer always using the 880m instead of the internal gpu, which is indicated by an orange light.

the theory that i hope is not correct is that the problem lies with the thermal paste, and that i would have to replace it, problem is tough i have never done that before and i dont feel confident doing it, i dont want to send it in either because then i dont have my computer.

i can still play games, its not overheating and turning off, currently playing witcher 2, not sure how it would run witcher 3 but i am going to try that out when i finish witcher 2.

the problem is just that it makes alot of noise, which is emabrasing in enviroments like classroom, or when taking the exam... you can imagine.

solutions or opinions anyone?

I own a similar laptop like yours and never had I seen temps like yours heat up real fast. All I can say is that you could try replacing the thermal compound that is on the GPU and CPU, that's how I fixed some of the heating issues I had with my laptop but then again, you have a higher end GPU than I do, (I have a 870m).

sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text 

Check if there is anything using your CPU/GPU massively in the background.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Check if there is anything using your CPU/GPU massively in the background.

there isnt, it reaches 75 and 65 just using firefox and word

have you tried cleaning out dust? my friend laptop dropped fra 80*C to 65*C on idle after doing this. Perfarbly disasembly the laptop

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

have you tried cleaning out dust? my friend laptop dropped fra 80*C to 65*C on idle after doing this. Perfarbly disasembly the laptop

i haven't but i have only had the laptop for a year and 2 months, do you think there could be a significant buildup of dust in that time period?

i haven't but i have only had the laptop for a year and 2 months, do you think there could be a significant buildup of dust in that time period?

Oh yes! my dust filter in a couple of months have significant dust build up. Try to search on youtube on help to take of the back plate after that you only need to take of the plate that's on the top of the fan(s)

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Oh yes! my dust filter in a couple of months have significant dust build up. Try to search on youtube on help to take of the back plate after that you only need to take of the plate that's on the top of the fan(s)

i guess i'll give this a shot if reinstalling windows dont work, i'd hate to have to open up the laptot tough. Oh well.

i dont think it will help, and buy a air in a can for the cleaning

i guess i'll give this a shot if reinstalling windows dont work, i'd hate to have to open up the laptot tough. Oh well.

Dont be so disappointed that you need to take apart your laptop. Most "gaming" laptops are fairly easy to take apart when compared to ultrabooks and consumer laptops as "gaming" manufacturers make it easy to swap out / upgrade RAM, or hard drives. This will also give you a good opportunity to look at whats inside your computer, and you may even consider throwing in another SSD at the same time! 

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Dont be so disappointed that you need to take apart your laptop. Most "gaming" laptops are fairly easy to take apart when compared to ultrabooks and consumer laptops as "gaming" manufacturers make it easy to swap out / upgrade RAM, or hard drives. This will also give you a good opportunity to look at whats inside your computer, and you may even consider throwing in another SSD at the same time! 

yeah, i'll just have to be carefull.

The windows disc is at another place, i'll come back to this thread at a later date if i dont manage to fix my problem

i dont think it will help, and buy a air in a can for the cleaning

quick question if i do open it up, is there anything i should be afraid of touching? what about static and such? i dont have anything like a anti static wristband right now atleast

You should clean every month, far less a year and 2 months. Gaming laptops need maintenance just like gaming PCs, which is why anti-consumer machines garner so much hate from me as they're harder (or impossible without breaking warranty) to run maintenance on.

quick question if i do open it up, is there anything i should be afraid of touching? what about static and such? i dont have anything like a anti static wristband right now atleast

Just touch a metal object that touches the floor for about 10 seconds before you work on it if you're so worried. You will only need to remove your fan (as you only have one) and blow out the dust and maybe use q-tips or something to clean the fans if dust is stuck to them. Blow with compressed air from OUTSIDE the heatsink (through the exhaust vents) to remove a large amount of the dust stuck to the heatsink, then you can use an old toothbrush to get off most of the rest from where the contact between heatsink fins and the fan is. Remember to remove your battery and unplug the machine prior to doing this. It is not difficult to clean the fans and heatsinks of your machine.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

You should clean every month, far less a year and 2 months. Gaming laptops need maintenance just like gaming PCs, which is why anti-consumer machines garner so much hate from me as they're harder (or impossible without breaking warranty) to run maintenance on.

Just touch a metal object that touches the floor for about 10 seconds before you work on it if you're so worried. You will only need to remove your fan (as you only have one) and blow out the dust and maybe use q-tips or something to clean the fans if dust is stuck to them. Blow with compressed air from OUTSIDE the heatsink (through the exhaust vents) to remove a large amount of the dust stuck to the heatsink, then you can use an old toothbrush to get off most of the rest from where the contact between heatsink fins and the fan is. Remember to remove your battery and unplug the machine prior to doing this. It is not difficult to clean the fans and heatsinks of your machine.

But what about the thermal paste, is that something which also needs maintenance or can i just leave it alone?

But what about the thermal paste, is that something which also needs maintenance or can i just leave it alone?

Depends on what the stock paste was... if you don't know, then reapplying something like IC Diamond properly would help. I highly doubt you have that as your stock paste. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

You can just leave it alone if you want. I replaced mines because it would be better for my laptop in the long run. If you want a less painful procedure then just get a can of compressed air and blow some of the dust out. Honestly, MSI gaming laptops are very easy to dissemble so it shouldn't be much of a struggle.

sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text