970 refuses to connect to single display via DP and other issues...

bilal2k7

So I brought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming after reading reviews that it's a great overclocker but since day 1 I've been plagued with issues.

Day 1:  Get round to connecting my new card via DP (after uninstalling all intel display drivers & installing the latest 970 drivers etc.). Realised when my monitor went into standby and I tried to turn it on again I was greeted with a "NO SIGNAL" on my monitor - after a bit of troubleshooting unplugging and re plugging the cabled made it work.

Day 3: The same problem was occurring, searched online and found that if you have ever plugged in a HDMI & DP cable together into the same monitor windows assumes you have 2 monitors plugged in and sets the HDMI as monitor 1 even if you remove that cable. Reverted these settings and everything worked for now,

Day 5: Received an update on GeForce experience to the latest drivers (not beta). Later on after a reboot nothing was displayed, not even the bios splash screen. Plugged in a HDMI cable and everything seemed to be working. Plugged in DP and the problem returned - tried to see if the same issues from Day 3 were to blame but couldn't see any problem. Reverted back to the older driver after using a driver removal tool.

Day 6: Was stuck with the same issue as Day 1 but the solution to that problem didn't work. So since that each time I have turned my monitor off/on I have to unplug/re-plug the cable.

Day 7: Got tired of this and thought maybe a bios update to my GPU could solve all these issues, realised you need a DVI cable to update the bios for the G1 Gaming (it has two bios one controls HDMI, DVI-I AND DP1, the other controls DVI-D, DP2 and DP3)

Day 8: Cried myself to sleep after no one in the geforce forums responded to my plead for help. And now after restarting my PC HDMI is recognised as DVI on the nvidia CP. So I can't run at my monitors resolution of 1440p or use the built in monitor speaker pass-through to run my speakers as the nvidia CP doesn't recognise it as HDMI. 

Things I've noted:

- Most user complaints online regarding this issue are related to the G1 Gaming and a few have also mentioned EVGA cards (970s and 980s).

- If this was a driver issue I would still see the boot screen when starting my PC

- My PC remains active but there is no signal from the GPU to the monitor, mainly because WIN+L makes a sound through my speakers.

Thanks for the help and if I am not able to fix it I'll be sending this card back to amazon as I do still have till the 10th June to send it back.

-snip-

Feel sorry for you man. Make sure you don't have any other graphics driver than the nVidia one installed (maybe some old ATI one). Pretty much all i can think of.

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

So I brought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming after reading reviews that it's a great overclocker but since day 1 I've been plagued with issues.

Day 1:  Get round to connecting my new card via DP (after uninstalling all intel display drivers & installing the latest 970 drivers etc.). Realised when my monitor went into standby and I tried to turn it on again I was greeted with a "NO SIGNAL" on my monitor - after a bit of troubleshooting unplugging and re plugging the cabled made it work.

Day 3: The same problem was occurring, searched online and found that if you have ever plugged in a HDMI & DP cable together into the same monitor windows assumes you have 2 monitors plugged in and sets the HDMI as monitor 1 even if you remove that cable. Reverted these settings and everything worked for now,

Day 5: Received an update on GeForce experience to the latest drivers (not beta). Later on after a reboot nothing was displayed, not even the bios splash screen. Plugged in a HDMI cable and everything seemed to be working. Plugged in DP and the problem returned - tried to see if the same issues from Day 3 were to blame but couldn't see any problem. Reverted back to the older driver after using a driver removal tool.

Day 6: Was stuck with the same issue as Day 1 but the solution to that problem didn't work. So since that each time I have turned my monitor off/on I have to unplug/re-plug the cable.

Day 7: Got tired of this and thought maybe a bios update to my GPU could solve all these issues, realised you need a DVI cable to update the bios for the G1 Gaming (it has two bios one controls HDMI, DVI-I AND DP1, the other controls DVI-D, DP2 and DP3)

Day 8: Cried myself to sleep after no one in the geforce forums responded to my plead for help. And now after restarting my PC HDMI is recognised as DVI on the nvidia CP. So I can't run at my monitors resolution of 1440p or use the built in monitor speaker pass-through to run my speakers as the nvidia CP doesn't recognise it as HDMI. 

Things I've noted:

- Most user complaints online regarding this issue are related to the G1 Gaming and a few have also mentioned EVGA cards (970s and 980s).

- If this was a driver issue I would still see the boot screen when starting my PC

- My PC remains active but there is no signal from the GPU to the monitor, mainly because WIN+L makes a sound through my speakers.

Thanks for the help and if I am not able to fix it I'll be sending this card back to amazon as I do still have till the 10th June to send it back.

WOW...

I'd plain and simple RMA it, asap.

The card should have absolutely ZERO problems whatsoever when you buy it, this is not the case,... send it in.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Wow.

I always see these issues pop up and I never experience issues like this when I build my computers.

I think your best bet is to RMA the card. I used that exact card in a customer build and I didn't have any issues like that with it.

Would just RMA it dude. Doesn't effect you any other way than not having the GPU.

I'm with the RMA camp here. Though if you wanna troubleshoot further try to switch between UEFI and normal BIOS if you can, see if it would make a difference. Also not sure if this card has that feature but it many cards have multiple gpu bios via a switch (usually one fallback and one for flashing and/or overlocking) see if switching said bios helps.

Also this is weird but I thought my 290x had similar issues with dead HDMI port but it turned out to be my monitor so try a different monitor and see if display port is recognized any better (or the same monitor on another rig or anything with display port)

But again that's only if you really wanna get to the bottom of it, best thing to do would be to RMA it or even get a refund (depends where you bought it) and be done with it, troubleshooting this can be frustrating and time consuming indeed, best of luck.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Thanks for the fast responses guys. Im in the UK so amazon can give me a full refund which ive already asked for. So I'll be sending it back on Monday.

Thanks for the help!

Just wanted to ask is anyone running off a single DP with a 970 and have theyhad any issues?

Update:

After some more research into this issue I noted that similar problems were also mentioned with my monitor, the BenQ GW2765HT. Apparently the exact issue was talked about in an Amazon US review and I found a video of another BenQ model which had the same issues.

Amazon has a 30 day return policy but luckily they've agreed as it's faulty they can take it in and refund me fully. I also contacted BenQ and was told a firmware update could possibly resolve this issue. However I'm going to just send this back and grab an Acer 1440p ex display from another seller for £20 cheaper (£260).

I've also sent the G1 Gaming back and will be ordering another one. Luckily that was covered by Amazons 30 day returns policy.

Will update how the DP funtions with the new monitor.