Reinstall Windows 8 after component change

guas5373

Hello, I will soon be upgrading my motherboard and CPU to a haswell motherboard and an i5 4670k.  Do I just make a backup of my current data and and then restore from it after re-installing windows on the new motherboard? I am planning to make a complete backup. Will any drivers of my old system also be backed up and restored onto the new motherboard, or is it just as simple as restoring from the backup? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I have Windows 8 64-bit "system builder" edition

You should always back up your data before doing anything to your PC

After you reinstall windows i am pretty sure that you will need to install all of your drivers again and possibly programs aswell.

I cant rembember whether your data is conserved or not on your hard drive but I should cos i had to do the same thing 6 months ago :P.

also make sure you dont have an OEM copy of windows otherwise that will be tied to your old mobo and will not work 

You should always back up your data before doing anything to your PC

After you reinstall windows i am pretty sure that you will need to install all of your drivers again and possibly programs aswell.

I cant rembember whether your data is conserved or not on your hard drive but I should cos i had to do the same thing 6 months ago :P.

also make sure you dont have an OEM copy of windows otherwise that will be tied to your old mobo and will not work 

I added the information of the OS in the op, (Win8 64 bit systems builder)

yeah the system builder edition is an OEM meaning you will have to buy a new copy of windows as it will be tied to the motherboard of your PC

Just use same copy as long you use it on only 1 system its fine, use phone activation if it asks how many systems you use it on state its used on 1 system only.

Yea, I read and it said as long as it is on one system, it will be fine, thanks.