how do i measure the inside of a PC case for a GPU upgrade

A rotary tool makes ANY GPU fit in any case.

Dremels do too. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

ANOTHER UPDATE

turns out if you look closely at the harddrive cages you can see that they  are actually removable but the catch is it's the only harddrive cage in my case... BUT WAIT maybe i can put my hard drive in the DVD drive area (which is about the width of my HDD) but if not there's always tape :^)

ANOTHER UPDATE

turns out if you look closely at the harddrive cages you can see that they  are actually removable but the catch is it's the only harddrive cage in my case... BUT WAIT maybe i can put my hard drive in the DVD drive area (which is about the width of my HDD) but if not there's always tape :^)

Ductape to the floor of the case, it never failed me.

I have the sapphire 280 3GB, it's a pretty big card and in my old hp case it wouldn't even have a chance of fitting without cutting. You should just pickup a bigger case that is not OEM, I got the Antec one gaming (not that expensive) but has the ability to get really good airflow.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

I have the sapphire 280 3GB, it's a pretty big card and in my old hp case it wouldn't even have a chance of fitting without cutting. You should just pickup a bigger case that is not OEM, I got the Antec one gaming (not that expensive) but has the ability to get really good airflow.

i decided to remove the hard drive cage and put the hard drive in an empty dvd drive slot