280x with psu, halp.

kiryu6

750 watts minimum.

800-850 watts if you are overclocking the CPU, you should do this at least.

900-1000 watts if you are overclocking the CPU and GPU's.

Was looking at http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-128bit-Graphics-04G-P4-3966-KR/dp/B00UOYQ5LA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432604837&sr=1-3&keywords=gtx+960this card, the 4gb superclocked one. Do you think this would be better, worse, or about the same? Really wanna find the best bang for my buck, and for a tad more it does seem better, wanted your opinion though

Was looking at http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-128bit-Graphics-04G-P4-3966-KR/dp/B00UOYQ5LA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432604837&sr=1-3&keywords=gtx+960this card, the 4gb superclocked one. Do you think this would be better, worse, or about the same? Really wanna find the best bang for my buck, and for a tad more it does seem better, wanted your opinion though

A 960 is incapable of using 4gb effectively also its small memory bus is crippling. It is a better idea to get a 280X especially if it's clocked at 1.07ghz like the asus you were looking at.

A 960 is incapable of using 4gb effectively also its small memory bus is crippling. It is a better idea to get a 280X especially if it's clocked at 1.07ghz like the asus you were looking at.

Oh okay, I was looking at 3 different models. XFX Double D clocked at 1080MHZ refurbished

The Asus clocked at 1070 [used for 170, good ratings on him, all accessories]

And an MSI one clocked at 1000mhz refurbished.

Thought the XFX MIGHT be better, but wasnt sure so was asking you- again-

Oh okay, I was looking at 3 different models. XFX Double D clocked at 1080MHZ refurbished

The Asus clocked at 1070 [used for 170, good ratings on him, all accessories]

And an MSI one clocked at 1000mhz refurbished.

Thought the XFX MIGHT be better, but wasnt sure so was asking you- again-

Honestly my favorite thing to do is read new egg reviews when trying to find out how good something is.

Honestly my favorite thing to do is read new egg reviews when trying to find out how good something is.

I think I'll rock the XFX, seems like it gets better performance from what i've seen

I think I'll rock the XFX, seems like it gets better performance from what i've seen

Good choice with the xfx. Many people have complained about the cooler on the Asus 280x/290/290x, that it's loud and doesn't cool adequately. Xfx offers a lifetime warranty through online registration so that's also a bonus.

Regarding power consumption, let me clear a few things up:

Crossfired 280Xs overclocked+CPU overclocked takes no more than 800w. Going more is overkill, and the price jump from a good 850w PSU to a 1000w one is massive. Just thought I'd save you a couple bucks.

As previous posters have said beware of cards possibly used for mining.

The card does output a fair level of heat. It won't get hot, or thermal throttle, and it won't be loud, but it can increase the overall temperature in your case by a solid 10°C+. Airflow is important, always something to keep in mind.

Other than that, congratulations on the parts! I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Good choice with the xfx. Many people have complained about the cooler on the Asus 280x/290/290x, that it's loud and doesn't cool adequately. Xfx offers a lifetime warranty through online registration so that's also a bonus.

Regarding power consumption, let me clear a few things up:

Crossfired 280Xs overclocked+CPU overclocked takes no more than 800w. Going more is overkill, and the price jump from a good 850w PSU to a 1000w one is massive. Just thought I'd save you a couple bucks.

As previous posters have said beware of cards possibly used for mining.

The card does output a fair level of heat. It won't get hot, or thermal throttle, and it won't be loud, but it can increase the overall temperature in your case by a solid 10°C+. Airflow is important, always something to keep in mind.

Other than that, congratulations on the parts! I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Okay so now I've found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UOYQ5LA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I keep getting told the 280x wont run with a 500w power supply, at least a 550 is required? So I looked around, saw this, and I like nvidia a lot so I thought I'd check it out, and it seems to have better specs from what I've studied? Thank you for your feedback and support by the way! First graphics card purchase!

Okay so now I've found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UOYQ5LA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I keep getting told the 280x wont run with a 500w power supply, at least a 550 is required? So I looked around, saw this, and I like nvidia a lot so I thought I'd check it out, and it seems to have better specs from what I've studied? Thank you for your feedback and support by the way! First graphics card purchase!

I personally ran an overclocked 6350 and a 280x on a 535w power supply, your 4xxx CPU will be fine with a 500w, but overclocking could cause instability.

The 4gb 960 is not worth the money when you can get a 280x most often for cheaper and they will go back and forth between games, the 280x winning out in more cases actually.

Edit: this is the best 280x on the market, by the way:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL052815&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052815&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052815-_-EMC-052815-index-_-DesktopGraphicsCards-_-14202137-S1A1B

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

I personally ran an overclocked 6350 and a 280x on a 535w power supply, your 4xxx CPU will be fine with a 500w, but overclocking could cause instability.

The 4gb 960 is not worth the money when you can get a 280x most often for cheaper and they will go back and forth wukong games, the 280x winning out in more cases actually.

Oh okay, I found an MSI twin frozr one for actually a little cheaper. :P 

The 4gb 960 is not worth the money when you can get a 280x most often for cheaper and they will go back and forth between games, the 280x winning out in more cases actually.

Edit: this is the best 280x on the market, by the way:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL052815&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052815&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052815-_-EMC-052815-index-_-DesktopGraphicsCards-_-14202137-S1A1B

I looked up a video and someones using a corsair 500w PSU with even more shit than what I have- I'm seriously getting mixed signals. It's my first GPU and I would just rather not break everything.. xD

Don't do double cards until you upgrade your CPU. It'll be a bottleneck to the 280x in CPU heavy games.

All in all you should be fine. You can't run crossfire with a 500, but it can handle any single GPU (with the exception of a 980/290x/Titan X). You also won't be able to overclock (as I said before). But you'll be alright with it for now.

Beyond that, you won't be able to upgrade your system beyond maybe a 6350 (which is not a good upgrade btw) or else you'd need to switch to Intel (an i5 most likely because it's a massive performance boost and draws less power). Again, things to look at in the future. But you will be alright with 500w using a 280x.

All in all you should be fine. You can't run crossfire with a 500, but it can handle any single GPU (with the exception of a 980/290x/Titan X). You also won't be able to overclock (as I said before). But you'll be alright with it for now.

Beyond that, you won't be able to upgrade your system beyond maybe a 6350 (which is not a good upgrade btw) or else you'd need to switch to Intel (an i5 most likely because it's a massive performance boost and draws less power). Again, things to look at in the future. But you will be alright with 500w using a 280x.

So then running 1080p on say the latest games, GTA 5 or evolve namely, it wont cause any issues or melt? xD

As long as you have reasonably good case airflow you should be fine and it will pay all your games at 60fps with medium to ultra settings.

Okay awesome. I just bought Evolve to get hyped up, and also as a sort of "current games" comparison to my old one just to feel good about myself when I get the card. XDD

As long as you have reasonably good case airflow you should be fine and it will pay all your games at 60fps with medium to ultra settings.

PSU IN. MONDAY/TUESDAY COULDNT COME ANY SOONER

Right, got it yesterday and worked without a flaw [after I fixed a mistake that was so simple it's stupid lmao]. I played most games on ultra, others were slow, like skyrim. Which I'm assuming is my CPU bottlenecking because it was using quite a bit of my cpu. So I'm gonna upgrade to something next month since I get money by the month. Thanks again bois! Any recommendations on everything I should upgrade to?

A 4960k and a good Z97 mobo

I OPENED UP THE I7 AND WAS LIKE "Rite lemme just pull 700$ out of my ass e - e" oh my god. xD Thanks mate, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

A 4960k and a good Z97 mobo

Was looking into the 8350 instead, little bit more price friendly, would I need a new mobo for it or can I put it on my mobo and be good until I'm able to upgrade the mobo?

Was looking into the 8350 instead, little bit more price friendly, would I need a new mobo for it or can I put it on my mobo and be good until I'm able to upgrade the mobo?

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Going from a 4300 to a 8350 will not change game performance at all, save up a little more then buy a good quad core haswell, the extra cash is worth the massive body in performance.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Going from a 4300 to a 8350 will not change game performance at all, save up a little more then buy a good quad core haswell, the extra cash is worth the massive body in performance.

Oh alrighty, and would I be needing anything more or can I get away with just buying the processor and using it for a bit before upgrading the mobo?

Right so I'd need the new mobo for this. Balls. Probably gonna buy the mobo and just leave it in a safe place until I can get the processor lol

There's a lot of mixed signals though, is the 8350 even compatible with my mobo? o-o I was looking at it earlier and it said it wasn't, but then there's even more saying it is-