What does Windows Restore Do?

Shaan5
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

How do I repair, What do I do with the USB?

Its same thing as installing fresh OS. But instead of new install, you select Repair option from menu. So make bootable USB with your OS version. Make USB first boot priority and boot to it. After language selection you will see the option for it.

I am having PC issues and I'm wondering if using Windows Restore could potentially fix anything, Would Windows Restore delete my Programs or anything? or just restore Windows

Thanks

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

Are you talking about System Restore or something else?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Every time you install a program windows creates a "restore state". Windows restore basically takes the last good state, and restores your system to it. This doesn't delete data, it just resets the registry, drivers etc. (things that actually make your computer work). You may need to reinstall a program or two depending on how far you have to go back to find a good system restore point.

Every time you install a program windows creates a "restore state". Windows restore basically takes the last good state, and restores your system to it. This doesn't delete data, it just resets the registry, drivers etc. (things that actually make your computer work). You may need to reinstall a program or two depending on how far you have to go back to find a good system restore point.

So I wont lose any actual programs or anything, Would I have to update my GPU Driver again

Also how would I go about Restoring it,

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

So I wont lose any actual programs or anything, Would I have to update my GPU Driver again

Possibly if that was the last registry change that was made. You'd still have the download, it just wouldn't have been applied.

Also how would I go about Restoring it,

What software are lost depends on how often the restore points have been made. Usually if you have turned automatic off, its only done when windows install updates. This can mean few months. I've done that few times and lost some of recent software but nothing major, and no files have gone missing.

There are 3 ways of doing this. From Control Panel (search for Restoration). From startup (F8?). With install DVD/USB (Option is called Repair). I've used all 3 at some point. Mostly the startup one when updates fail and I can't login.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What software are lost depends on how often the restore points have been made. Usually if you have turned automatic off, its only done when windows install updates. This can mean few months. I've done that few times and lost some of recent software but nothing major, and no files have gone missing.

There are 3 ways of doing this. From Control Panel (search for Restoration). From startup (F8?). With install DVD/USB (Option is called Repair). I've used all 3 at some point. Mostly the startup one when updates fail and I can't login.

Its same thing as installing fresh OS. But instead of new install, you select Repair option from menu. So make bootable USB with your OS version. Make USB first boot priority and boot to it. After language selection you will see the option for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok, Thanks

I'll do that I think