Need a quiet living room computer case

Mindstab Thrull

The hardest part for me to find in any type of computer system I'm building is a computer case. There's generally enough information on everything else - GPUs, CPUs, and even power supplies - but the chassis is almost always left behind. So I'm hoping someone can give some useful feedback.

I have an entertainment unit in my living room and I'd like a case that suits it. I plan on going with something smaller, either mini-ITX or micro-ATX, and will choose components based on that. So I'm looking for a case that meets the following requirements:

- Solid build quality -- simply I want a case that doesn't "feel cheap". Small cases don't often have a plethora of drive cages, for example, and are more commonly basically just a shell; I just don't want it to crack if I look at it sideways :)

- Quiet enough when it's enclosed in a wooden entertainment unit

- Ideally has decent quality included fans to help keep the system cool

- Something that fits the typical black-and-silver, clean motif of living room stereo/video equipment -- so no "aggressive, gamer-style"  cases

- At least one external 5.25" drive bay for a DVD drive (I have lots of movies on DVD)

- Support for a dual-slot graphics card

- Under $100 CAD, ideally something I can pick up at NCIX or Canada Computers since I have both relatively close to me

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Why not just DIY yourself a compartment out of that wooden entertainment unit?

Corsair 250D I don't know how quiet it is but it meets the rest of your requirements.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Corsair 250D I don't know how quiet it is but it meets the rest of your requirements.

Looks like it reviews pretty quietly so this is a good sign. I can pick it up locally for $110 plus tax which is about what most places would charge after you take shipping into account.

Why not just DIY yourself a compartment out of that wooden entertainment unit?

Because I am infinitely less handyman than Linus. I'm one of these people that if I take something apart, putting it back usually means I have parts leftover..

Seems like it reviews fairly quietly with the included fans. I can pick it up locally for about $110 plus tax, which is what most places would charge for shipping it.