Google Play

as96

I have some questions about releasing Google Play

• How much does it cost?
  • Can I use my personal account?
  • I see that every single app is released by some kind of studio, I've never seen something with a dev name as the releaser, why? Am I going to get legal problems if I release with my name?
  • I want to release free apps and without ads, but if in future I want to add a price to something can I do it?
  • If I do add a price to an app, can I give it for free to someone without the need to give him directly the .apk? so basically can I do like on steam and giveaway keys or in any way let someone use it for free?
  • Does the app need to be approved by google? and in that case how long does it take?
  • Also has anyone here published something? Can you tell me about your experience with google play?

I have some questions about releasing Google Play

• How much does it cost?
  • Can I use my personal account?
  • I see that every single app is released by some kind of studio, I've never seen something with a dev name as the releaser, why? Am I going to get legal problems if I release with my name?
  • I want to release free apps and without ads, but if in future I want to add a price to something can I do it?
  • If I do add a price to an app, can I give it for free to someone without the need to give him directly the .apk? so basically can I do like on steam and giveaway keys or in any way let someone use it for free?
  • Does the app need to be approved by google? and in that case how long does it take?
  • Also has anyone here published something? Can you tell me about your experience with google play?

1. I think it's a $5 authorization to publish apps.
  2. Yes
  3. People release apps under their names all the time. So yes, you can. And no, there's no legal issues.
  4. Yes.
  5. You can refund them, I believe, for it.
  6. Yes. Not very long.
  7. Not myself, but my friends have, and it's not been a big deal. Pretty easy.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

2. Yes
  3. People release apps under their names all the time. So yes, you can. And no, there's no legal issues.
  4. Yes.
  6. Yes. Not very long.

@as96

• it's $25 to make your account into a developers(or maybe it's different per country? I'm sure I paid $25)
  • Yes you can use your personal account but when you try to upgrade your account you'll be asked for a company name or at least the alias in which you release your apps but you can still just use your name.
  • Google doesn't give out free copies to the developer for them to use nor do they allow any form of keys. Personally, google should really at least give the developer at least 50 free copies that they can freely give out. After all it's your own work naturally giving it away to your friends for free is a great way to spread the word. I do magic tutorials on some high level card magic I created and then submit it to ellusionist and they give out at least 20 free copies or hard copies of your own product.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

2. Yes
  4. Yes.
  6. Yes. Not very long.

@as96

• it's $25 to make your account into a developers(or maybe it's different per country? I'm sure I paid $25)
  • Yes you can use your personal account but when you try to upgrade your account you'll be asked for a company name or at least the alias in which you release your apps but you can still just use your name.
  • Google doesn't give out free copies to the developer for them to use nor do they allow any form of keys. Personally, google should really at least give the developer at least 50 free copies that they can freely give out. After all it's your own work naturally giving it away to your friends for free is a great way to spread the word. I do magic tutorials on some high level card magic I created and then submit it to ellusionist and they give out at least 20 free copies or hard copies of your own product.

Thank you!

Kinda disappointed that I can't giveaway stuff directly on google play though