Thoughts About Windows 8.1

Quintin.B

Hello Everyone,

I'm Thinking about installing Windows 8.1, but  first i wanted to see some thoughts about it and hear your opinion about it

Quintin B

We don't make mistakes, we make happy accidents. ~ Bob Ross

With a hammer everything fits! ~ Quintin B

Add me on IM+ DeV_FGBA

I really like it, especially the bigger & smaller icons on the start screen and the right click (or winkey + X) restart/shutdown. I have had a few minor incompatibility issues that weren't in Windows 8.0, like Comodo firewall not running without a registry tweak. 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Personally I like it. I like the fact that they added the start button back.  I treat the start screen as a updated start menu, it provides the same functionality as the old start menu in my opinion. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Windows 8.1 is awesome.

However, you must remember that it has bugs BECAUSE it is in Beta stages.

Here are the bugs I have faced:

-> Programs using Skype to embedded Skype in itself doesn't work, because the executable from Skype that allows it to happen crashes upon starting.

-> Firefox Start Screen Tile text is now showing, and tile color selection is wrong

-> Some tiles picks the color baby blue for pinned desktop applications, which is fine, but the text of the tile is still white. So if you don't have a descent monitor, it will be quiet hard to read.

-> I experienced some graphical glitches in some situation in the Windows UI. Nothing major, but visible if you have a good eye.

-> Skydrive desktop app doesn't work anymore, as Skydrive is integrated into Windows, but lacks a lot of information and options that you used to have with the desktop app. Also it's finicky. It works when it wants to works.

-> If the mouse is positioned on a website preview in the new universal search, the scroll wheel doesn't work anymore.

And of course, some mentioned features don't exists.

So you can see, it is what it says: Beta.

And keep in mind that you'll have to do a clean install once the official version is released, let alone Release Candidate or further Beta version comes out.

In my case, I expected issues, as I always do when I try Beta software.

For me, I install beta version of Windows for testing my personal software and work software, and do any fixes that may be required (usually it works perfectly, and if it doesn't, it's just someone or me that miss read some Microsoft documentation to assure proper support with future version of Windows).

One more thing to add is that some drivers may not I work!

I had to update my Qualcomn Atheros WiFi and Bluetooth drivers with Windows 8.1

Also if your copy of Windows 8 is Volume Licensed or Enterprise you have to install the preview through a .iso and not through a store.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I've Installed it looks great. The programs i use can run just fine on it. Games etc. Run better on it than on the first windows 8 ( I Don't know how but sometimes on 8 they wont launch or even install.... but on 8.1 they install/launch just fine.) The tiles i don't us that much so no problems with that. in one word it is better than windows 8.

We don't make mistakes, we make happy accidents. ~ Bob Ross

With a hammer everything fits! ~ Quintin B

Add me on IM+ DeV_FGBA

I installed it having watched one of NCIXEsther videos - realised it was free. Installed it and not looked back. It is fantastic, I have not been this impressed with an OS I think ever in my life. IT WORK is is so fluid and intuitive. Far Cry 3 crashed once whilst i tabbed out to the desktop but other than that it has been a dream 

CPU: Intel i3770K @4.3GHz, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, RAM: 8GB Mushkin, SSD: Vertex 4 128GB, HDD: 2x 3TB Seagate, GPU: Sapphire 7850 OC 2GB, Case: Fractal R3, Displays: 3x iiyama Prolite E2473HDS Keyboard: Das Keyboard Ultimate, Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95

I have a question about upgrading. I have a Surface Pro and so if I update to 8.1 beta will i have to do a clean install when the full version comes out? If I do, where will i find my product key and installation file/iso/disk?

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I installed it having watched one of NCIXEsther videos - realised it was free. Installed it and not looked back. It is fantastic, I have not been this impressed with an OS I think ever in my life. IT WORK is is so fluid and intuitive. Far Cry 3 crashed once whilst i tabbed out to the desktop but other than that it has been a dream 

I have win7 home premium service 1. Far cry either crashed, closes down or freezes when i click back on it for around 5 minutes before task manager kicks in.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Giddyguy, on 18 Jul 2013 - 7:24 PM, said:

I have a question about upgrading. I have a Surface Pro and so if I update to 8.1 beta will i have to do a clean install when the full version comes out? If I do, where will i find my product key and installation file/iso/disk?

When the full version of Windows 8.1 will be out, you'll be able to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, much like a Windows Service Pack. The only difference is that you'll see it in the Windows Store, and not Windows Update. It will be free for Windows 8 users.