Deciding between 3TB HDD's

mono

I currently have to decide between a Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 and a WD Caviar Green 3TB WD30EZRX. The main use for these harddrives would be to replace my 1TB Caviar Blue which i plan to use in another computer - I mainly store content on it, but I also use it for games which don't fit on my 240gb ssd. Which one of those would be the better choice?

I wouldn't advise for 3TB drives. They're meant to be quite unreliable from what I've heard.

Sig under construction.

I wouldn't advise for 3TB drives. They're meant to be quite unreliable from what I've heard.

Why is that?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I thought that 4TB drives where really unreliable but not the 3TB drives.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I've heard a few horror stories about the Seagate drives however I have 4 3TB WD Red Drives in my NAS and they've been going strong since purchase. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Well alternative capacities then? 2TB doesn't make much sense when looking at the cost compared to 3TB drives and wouldn't 4TB ones be even more unreliable?

Well alternative capacities then? 2TB doesn't make much sense when looking at the cost compared to 3TB drives and wouldn't 4TB ones be even more unreliable?

I'm not sure. I guess I'd look around for a 3TB drive with really good reviews?

Sig under construction.

I've heard something about the Seagates 3TB drives being really bad with RMAs, breaking down quiet alot. I believe it was through Pauls Hardware in one of his videos.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Amazon reviews say that the Seagate drive either works fine and fast, or it fails when put in RAID, or it fails after 2 years of use (this worries me - such a short lifetime for a HDD)

I currently have to decide between a Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 and a WD Caviar Green 3TB WD30EZRX. The main use for these harddrives would be to replace my 1TB Caviar Blue which i plan to use in another computer - I mainly store content on it, but I also use it for games which don't fit on my 240gb ssd. Which one of those would be the better choice?

Hey mono,

If you are going to use the new drive for simple storage and casual gaming (no demanding applications) pretty much any drive would do the job for you. Games rely on storage only for their loading times and performance is not affected at all. 
WD Green is a great secondary storage drive that works cool, quiet and saves energy. It is fully capable of storing your less-demanding games, media and other data. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I'm in the same boat atm deciding on 3 new 3tb hd for a htpc i need to update ,

heard about seagates up and dying on you , think was on the Tek

was looking for some Hitachi drives, as the oldest hard drives in my collection are a pair of 1tb i got ages ago but are still going strong today ( just prior the the Taiwan flood hd price hike few years back ) didn't realize they are now HGST , so I'm looking into a set of 3tb Deskstar NAS drives . Dunno if anyone is using them that could give some feedback :D

Since you use the drive for games get the Barracuda, it's 7200RPM vs 5400RPM for the WD Green. Faster overall performance at the expense of a little more noise and heat.

After reading about the topic on https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/it seems to me it's better to not buy a 3TB drive unless it's from HGST. The problem is - they're 30% more expensive in my country and almost reach prices of 4TB drives (which backblaze found to be a solid choice both from seagate and hgst). Right now i'm thinking on going the economic route of getting a WD Green 2TB WD20EZRX, looking at amazon reviews 1-star and 5-star it seems to me that it failed for 7.5% of customers, this looks just good enough. Still not sold on the 5900RPMness of the Green though, but there aren't many good alternatives in the 2TB space since it's either the Seagate's ST2000DM001 or the expensive HGST and WD Black offerings, no WD Blue above 1TB. It doesn't make much sense to buy a new 1TB drive for the other PC too, and this market situation is killing me - 4TB externals costing less here than internals (don't wanna take a drive out from the casing too - warranty void).