anti static strap er something

Go to solution Solved by DimasRMDO,

You use the anti-static straps bro, but it's not a must, you can build your PC without it. It's just to make building process safer, well if you ground yourself often then you should be fine.

Hi, I'm putting together my first build very soon and I was told that I should have/use an anti static strap or something to make sure it doesn't get shocked, if this is right, what should/do i use?

Relax. Only really need those if you get shocked often. Just don't build on carpet.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hi, I'm putting together my first build very soon and I was told that I should have/use an anti static strap or something to make sure it doesn't get shocked, if this is right, what should/do i use?

I use this one. But, you know, it's not very necessary if u don't wear sweater and so on...

Just wear this braser and connect it to the psu, that is connected to the el. net (but turned off).

You use the anti-static straps bro, but it's not a must, you can build your PC without it. It's just to make building process safer, well if you ground yourself often then you should be fine.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I use this one. But, you know, it's not very necessary if u don't wear sweater and so on...

Just wear this braser and connect it to the psu, that is connected to the el. net (but turned off).

okay so it just goes on the wrist then? 

Relax. Only really need those if you get shocked often. Just don't build on carpet.

Hehe, every pc I've built has been when I was on carpet.

Just one major thing to remember, do NOT build your pc on the anti-static bag for the mobo or anything like that, it has a conductive coating on the outside of it, I'm sure you can tell why it's a bad idea.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

okay so it just goes on the wrist then? 

Yep, or around your ankle, whichever you prefer.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just one major thing to remember, do NOT build your pc on the anti-static bag for the mobo or anything like that, it has a conductive coating on the outside of it, I'm sure you can tell why it's a bad idea.

sure, it's just better to avoid carpets. or not wear socks. but it does not matter as much as people talk about it. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

okay i looked at a few of linus's videos and saw that he uses the motherboard box, is it okay to this if the motherboard bag is in the box or should I just get rid of that immediately? 

okay i looked at a few of linus's videos and saw that he uses the motherboard box, is it okay to this if the motherboard bag is in the box or should I just get rid of that immediately? 

He uses the Motherboard box true, but on top of the motherboard box not on top of the anti-static bag. Get rid of that bag, well not in the trash, somewhere because it can be used to store stuff later (old motherboard, HDD, etc.)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

It can be in the box if you want to, it really doesn't matter unless you touch outside anti-static bag because its anti-static only in the inside. But I would recommend keeping it because if you ever want to sell it will make your job easier :) hope this helped.

No, do not use the motherboard bag, you can keep it around in case you want to put an electronic device in it to protect it from static, but for building the pc, just put the mobo right on top of the mobo box.

No, do not use the motherboard bag, you can keep it around in case you want to put an electronic device in it to protect it from static, but for building the pc, just put the mobo right on top of the mobo box.

^

If you build your PC on top of the motherboard's bag you're going to have a bad time.....

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

sweet thanks

hey uhmmm what does that metal thing go on that's on the strap?

hey uhmmm what does that metal thing go on that's on the strap?

Clip it to the psu's case (fan grid) and plug psu into the net.

It will be grounded then, so u're fine.

EDIT: or u can even attach it to the heat radiator in your house.

Clip it to the psu's case (fan grid) and plug psu into the net.

It will be grounded then, so u're fine.

EDIT: or u can even attach it to the heat radiator in your house.

what?