My computer is way too loud

Leibow5

My computer sounds like a jet engine. Anyway to make it silenter.

My specs are:

Thermaltake MS-1 case

Thermaltake tr2 600w psu

Asrock z77 Pro4 mobo

i5 3570k oc'ed to 4.2 Ghz

PNY 660ti

Hyper 212 plus with 1 fan

1 case fan.

What should I buy to make it quieter. I am willing to spend up $150 depending on what it is.

Any questions ask.

What should I buy and

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? If you can isolate which fan it is, you can replace it with a quieter fan...

I'm going through this right now, I'm replacing all 3 case fans and the fan on my H60 cooler with Noctua quiet fans.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? If you can isolate which fan it is, you can replace it with a quieter fan...

I'm going through this right now, I'm replacing all 3 case fans and the fan on my H60 cooler with Noctua quiet fans.

I might follow your path on that because all my fans are really loud and do you have anything overclocked?

noctua fans aren t necessarily the quietest fans,

you could also get some 5v or 7v fan adapter for all your fans, (way cheaper than 20$ per fan, (splitter is like 3$? or molex mod free)

it will reduce their speed/noise (but also cooling)

You should start by identifying what the source of the noise is, sometime only 1 fan makes all the noise, try stopping em 1 by 1 to know the most efficient way to prevent the noise.

It might also be your gpu that is noisy.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Just unplug fans one at a time till you find the loud ones and replace them with Noctuas.

Just unplug fans one at a time till you find the loud ones and replace them with Noctuas.
I know its my gpu. So i was thinking about getting really quiet fansso cool my pc so my gpu one will not have to be so loud.

I know its my gpu. So i was thinking about getting really quiet fansso cool my pc so my gpu one will not have to be so loud.

Just make fan profiles with MSI Afterburner, should help immensely.

Yes, I've got my CPU and GPU overclocked... there's no reason for case fans and the cooler fan to be noisy, though. The GPU will kick up when I'm gaming, but when I need it quiet (when using it as an HTPC), it's pretty quiet.

noctua fans aren t necessarily the quietest fans' date=' you could also get some 5v or 7v fan adapter for all your fans, (way cheaper than 20$ per fan, (splitter is like 3$? or molex mod free) it will reduce their speed/noise (but also cooling) You should start by identifying what the source of the noise is, sometime only 1 fan makes all the noise, try stopping em 1 by 1 to know the most efficient way to prevent the noise. It might also be your gpu that is noisy. [/quote']

I'm pretty sure they'll be quieter than the 5 for $12 Yate Loon fans I have right now... pretty loud, hehehe.

Your fans are like jet engines for one of two reasons. Something's either hot or on a bad cooling curve. What are your temps like for everything? Have you set custom cooling curves? You may not need to go and buy new components but instead just turn things down.

if its your gpu fan you could try to put more fans to direct more airflow to your gpu to help.

for me it was a mixture of things, running my fans at 7v helped tremendously, back off your cpu and gpu over clocks a bit so your fans dont have to ramp up to compensate, replace the thermal paste so you can gain a bit of cooling performance. maybe get a quieter case with a built in fan controller like a fractal define r4

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Sometimes the fan speed auto adjustments disable, make sure your controller is not disabled so your fans are not running 100% at all times.

Use MSI Afterburner like Helltech said and create a fan curve for your gpu in order to automatically adjust to temperature changes.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

for me it was a mixture of things, running my fans at 7v helped tremendously, back off your cpu and gpu over clocks a bit so your fans dont have to ramp up to compensate, replace the thermal paste so you can gain a bit of cooling performance. maybe get a quieter case with a built in fan controller like a fractal define r4
What would you recommend for a sub $100 case that I could buy. Something with better air flow then the MS-1

Use MSI Afterburner like Helltech said and create a fan curve for your gpu in order to automatically adjust to temperature changes.
Right now my fan curve is stay at 30% until my gpu reaches 40 c and then it ramps up. Is there a way to monitor your fan curve for the cpu fan. The hyper 212 fan?

Sometimes the fan speed auto adjustments disable, make sure your controller is not disabled so your fans are not running 100% at all times.
http://puu.sh/1WsZv How do I take those yellow lines away.

What would you recommend for a sub $100 case that I could buy. Something with better air flow then the MS-1

you can probably find a fractal define r4 for that which is what i would recommend, keep in mind that silence is a group effort, you can still hear something that is a really noisy in a silence optimized case. you can also get sound deadening material and kits like on here

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g7/c117/list/p1/Sound_Dampening-Computer_Case_Silencing.html

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Possibly your hard drive? I had this problem when I ran my PC solely on my HDD rather than with the OS on an SSD

the stock hyper 212 fan can be loud but

your gpu while gaming can hit 80C, thus your gpu fan could go as far as 100% and sound like a jet engine going off beside you,

check fan speed with msi afterburner and set a custom fan profile for lrelatively quiet during idle

but for load you can only bear with it,

an aftermarket cooler could reduce noise but it is not worth it,

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

• 2 weeks later...

Get a new fan for the hyper 212, a fan speed controller for ALL your fans, set up fan profile in msi afterburner.

Done.

You dont have to replace all your fans unless you want to.. Run your computer with the case open and find out which fan is making the most noise. Go in the bios and make sure they're not running at full speed, if it is, adjust it. If it's still too loud, then you should replace it.

noctua fans aren t necessarily the quietest fans,

you could also get some 5v or 7v fan adapter for all your fans, (way cheaper than 20$ per fan, (splitter is like 3$? or molex mod free)

it will reduce their speed/noise (but also cooling)

You should start by identifying what the source of the noise is, sometime only 1 fan makes all the noise, try stopping em 1 by 1 to know the most efficient way to prevent the noise.

It might also be your gpu that is noisy.

cougar vortex's are good if you're not using a rad, since the frames aren't perfect squares

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

the NZXT Tempest 410 is great, ton of cable room, as well as fairly quiet fans, and nice airflow too

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

if it is plugged into the mobo and not the power supply molex, then check out speedfan, its free and tells you what you need to know, and can control your fans

My System