Folding@Home

Hi guys.

I know there is section specifically for this but I am looking for general information (in simply terms) on what is its, what it does, what you need to do it etc?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Hi guys.

I know there is section specifically for this but I am looking for general information (in simply terms) on what is its, what it does, what you need to do it etc?

just dl the app from the f@h and start, you need cpu and gpu, good cooling. You get a bonus after 10 wu's. You are helping cure diseases and cancers. Folding proteins. Its super easy

just dl the app from the f@h and start, you need cpu and gpu, good cooling. You get a bonus after 10 wu's. You helping cure diseases and cancers. Folding proteins. Its super easy

10wu's? I am struggling to understand the whole folding proteins, how does that work

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

10wu's? I am struggling to understand the whole folding proteins, how does that work

work units, like a mini project.

work units, like a mini project.

lol. I really dont understand the concept, what is folding actually doing?

You can ask basic questions about thing in their own subsections. There's pinned threads with FAQ and other helpful information. And this recent video by Luke explains some of more basic things too:

E:

Folding is using your hardware power to calculate things that are normally done with supercomputers. Like prime numbers. Its like torrenting where you share your internet speed so others can dl faster.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can ask basic questions about thing in their own subsections. There's pinned threads with FAQ and other helpful information. And this recent video by Luke explains some of more basic things too:

Thanks dude.

i think your pc is modelling the proteins activation sites and craming things in there to see if it fits and the likely hood. Could also be looking at the shape and structure or the protein. All this is done with math and sometimes f@h gets it wrong but this is so much cheaper/faster than Making a protein and doing experiments with it. If folding produces something that looks interesting sciencist test it out.

Folding at home takes the molecular structure of a protien and using maths and the properties of amino acids to determine the way that each protein folds to become a working protein. With eggs, the whites of an egg are clear when they are raw. That is because the protein is folded in a fuctional form. When you cook it it goes white because the protien 'denatures', theis is when the folded structure is changed permanently and can't be reversed. This is a watered down way of describing it, but F@H does this with other proteins to determine the likelyhood of cancer or other diseases developing. Of course it is much more detailed than this, like active sites, competetive inhibitors and activation energies, however this is pretty much what it is doing. You are helping with scientific research by just letting your computer do the work. Feel proud!

Don't worry about it, you don't need to know in order to contribute to the project. The computer does everything for you, you just need to install the client (and possibly join the ltt team, but that doesn't impact your contribution).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*