Is OCCT Relaible

Shaan5

I have been trying to Overclock my G1 GTX 970 for the last few days and have got it Stable and Running well at

112% Power Limit

+125 OC

+265 Memory

I get no issues with this setup (As far as I can tell)

But for some reason, whenever I push the memory past +265, OCCT Gives me errors. Is OCCT Reliable when it comes to Memory Overclocking or Should I just push it until I get artifacting and then Dial it back

Just asking because I've seen some people get up to +500 without issues

Thanks

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

@Shaan5

I wouldnt use OCCT for GPUs, as for the memory I'd tell you to watch out for artifacts and to test it with Valley benchmark or EVGA's OCScanner

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

• 1 month later...

In my experience in overclocking my video card using OCCT with error check enabled, it is a very reliable way to make sure your card is stable with OC settings. When OCing, I run it with error check enabled for 30 minutes. If it passes with 0 errors, I consider that clock to be stable.

I don't see how you can effectively find a stable overclock using any other program. Using your eyes with Heaven or Valley makes no sense. Error check is far superior IMO. There are many errors that you cannot see, hence the need for a program to detect them.

After using OCCT with error check enabled, I have had no crashes with my overclocked settings while playing the latest games. If you encounter errors while using OCCT, consider that clock unstable.

BigDay