Memory Test. Lots of errors.

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Hi.

I've recently been getting the System_Thread_exception_not_handled Blue screen. I googled this and said it was probably a hardware problem, possibly ram. So I decided to test my ram. I have 4 sticks of G Skill PC3-19200 DDr 2400MHz ram at 4GB each ( 16GB in total) Since they run in pairs, I decided to run them in pairs. I used the memtest86 software.

My first pair of ram got 3 errors, I thought this was bad and that these were the bad modules. I tested the second set. And wow. 11240 errors. So, I know I definitely need to replace the second set, but the 3 errors from the first set, is that within margin of error or what?

Help would be appreciated.

Ram set 1 test:

http://s22.postimg.org/4spjrcni9/Ram_Set1.jpg

Ram set 2 test:

http://s23.postimg.org/i5fqgfzob/Ram_Set2.jpg

I would replace all your memory. Most memory comes with a LIFETIME warranty, so I suggest starting out by contacting the Manufacturer (assuming all the same brand), and finding out what their RMA process is. Often they only require the SN (Serial Number) and not proof of purchase (since, you know, it's a lifetime warranty - shouldn't matter when or where you bought it).

Hi.

I've recently been getting the System_Thread_exception_not_handled Blue screen. I googled this and said it was probably a hardware problem, possibly ram. So I decided to test my ram. I have 4 sticks of G Skill PC3-19200 DDr 2400MHz ram at 4GB each ( 16GB in total) Since they run in pairs, I decided to run them in pairs. I used the memtest86 software.

My first pair of ram got 3 errors, I thought this was bad and that these were the bad modules. I tested the second set. And wow. 11240 errors. So, I know I definitely need to replace the second set, but the 3 errors from the first set, is that within margin of error or what?

Ram set 1 test:

Ram set 2 test:

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

RMA the faulty stick(s).

One of the pairs I got years ago from one store, the other pair I got from Amazon this year.I can't tell which I got when/where. Does this matter? And how do I go about doing this?

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

Hi.

Ram set 1 test:

Ram set 2 test:

Maybe try testing all the sticks separately. It might save you some money if it is only one stick and not both from the second set. Also i'm not sure about weather the first set is within margin of error, but I'd try to run the first set by itself for awhile and see if you get any more crashes. If not then I'd say it is within margin for error.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Maybe try testing all the sticks separately. It might save you some money if it is only one stick and not both from the second set. Also i'm not sure about weather the first set is within margin of error, but I'd try to run the first set by itself for awhile and see if you get any more crashes. If not then I'd say it is within margin for error.

I've been running on the first two sticks for a couple of days, been running fine. Seems like it's definitely the second sticks been causing the errors. Unfortunately you can only buy this stick in pairs, as they work faster in pairs.

Hi.

Ram set 1 test:

Ram set 2 test:

I would replace all your memory. Most memory comes with a LIFETIME warranty, so I suggest starting out by contacting the Manufacturer (assuming all the same brand), and finding out what their RMA process is. Often they only require the SN (Serial Number) and not proof of purchase (since, you know, it's a lifetime warranty - shouldn't matter when or where you bought it).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah, just found out that G Skill do a lifetime warranty so I sent them an e-mail saying that two of my sticks are faulty ( the second pair ) and sent them the image. 

Thanks, saves me forking out another £50 when I can survive off of 8GB of ram for now :P The 3 errors of the first two sticks aren't affecting me via crashes so i'll stick with sending the second pair off first, then we'll see from there.

Yeah, just found out that G Skill do a lifetime warranty so I sent them an e-mail saying that two of my sticks are faulty ( the second pair ) and sent them the image. 

Thanks, saves me forking out another £50 when I can survive off of 8GB of ram for now :P The 3 errors of the first two sticks aren't affecting me via crashes so i'll stick with sending the second pair off first, then we'll see from there.

I strongly suggest still RMAing the first pair, but you may as well wait for the 2nd pair to RMA and get returned to you.

3 memory errors are still 3 too many. Any memory errors can be the cause of issues down the line.

Still, awesome. Lifetime warranties are the bomb :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I strongly suggest still RMAing the first pair, but you may as well wait for the 2nd pair to RMA and get returned to you.

3 memory errors are still 3 too many. Any memory errors can be the cause of issues down the line.

Still, awesome. Lifetime warranties are the bomb :)

Yeah, gonna wait till the second lot are back, as they're definitely bad.