How to move all hdd data to ssd?

Corruption

I want to suprise my mother by replacing her 1tb hdd (with only like 10% used the whole time shes had it) with an ssd. Is there a way to transfer all hdd files including os to the ssd?

Taking Falling to whole new Heights

You should probably just do a fresh OS install onto the SSD :/ Then link the programs and documents to the HDD

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

You should probably just do a fresh OS install onto the SSD :/ Then link the programs and documents to the HDD

How?

Make sure you don't bite off more then you can chew because if you lose all her data have fun explaining that.

Then again Surprise computer updates are fun once I replaced my moms 1gb of 300mhz RAM with 3gb of 1200mhz Ram the thing is a old 32 bit windows xp so it really helped a ton. She was complaining that it was getting to slow and she wanted a new computer that would have cost her 550$ but money is tight in our house so she just had to deal with it. But when she used it for the first time after I put the 20$ of RAM in when she was out of the house she was ecstatic the thing is still going strong being used as my little siblings PC even thought it's almost 7 years old.

How?

buy her flowers. asle free.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

I want to suprise my mother by replacing her 1tb hdd (with only like 10% used the whole time shes had it) with an ssd. Is there a way to transfer all hdd files including os to the ssd?

Hey Corruption,

I would also suggest doing a fresh install of the OS. This way you would avoid any potential compatibility issues and other problems such as the SSD being treated as a HDD, driver issues, etc. If she has everything on her boot partition, you can look into system image restore. Here's a link to that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7. This will save all programs, files, drivers, registry and the OS on your C drive. You can then plug the HDD to transfer everything else (if she has a second partition). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Corruption,

I would also suggest doing a fresh install of the OS. This way you would avoid any potential compatibility issues and other problems such as the SSD being treated as a HDD, driver issues, etc. If she has everything on her boot partition, you can look into system image restore. Here's a link to that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7. This will save all programs, files, drivers, registry and the OS on your C drive. You can then plug the HDD to transfer everything else (if she has a second partition). :)

Captain_WD.

Yeah i decide to just get a 120gb ssd and put her os on it. Any tips for that?