Where to put firewall?

angelus0w
Go to solution Solved by KTFO|SGTmoody,

Hello there,

Upgrading my home network with a hardware firewall. I'm not too sure where to put the device though (system running pfsense)

I have included a diagram to best explain my network and where I assume the best place to put the device will be, but Googling shows conflicting results with reasons beyond my understanding. Also can the router be eliminated after fitting firewall? I have a FTTP modem fitted which currently connects directly to the router then into the switch.

thanks in advance

Angel

Firewall after the router otherwise you will find the firewall doing routing. You would need to disable pfsense routing features. Can I ask why you chose pfsense?

Have you looked at ip fire which is purely just a firewall?

Hello there,

Upgrading my home network with a hardware firewall. I'm not too sure where to put the device though (system running pfsense)

I have included a diagram to best explain my network and where I assume the best place to put the device will be, but Googling shows conflicting results with reasons beyond my understanding. Also can the router be eliminated after fitting firewall? I have a FTTP modem fitted which currently connects directly to the router then into the switch.

thanks in advance

Angel

post-224448-0-65812200-1430068828.png

post-224448-0-50300900-1430068838.png

Hello there,

Upgrading my home network with a hardware firewall. I'm not too sure where to put the device though (system running pfsense)

thanks in advance

Angel

Firewall after the router otherwise you will find the firewall doing routing. You would need to disable pfsense routing features. Can I ask why you chose pfsense?

Excellent in that case I shall put firewall after router. As for pfsense ill be honest there is no valid reason for choosing other than that's the first one i looked into after dd-wrt and general ip tables (although that was when on web server.) I shall spend some time looking into ip fire and its options and setup information. Thank you for both bits of advice. 

Update, after looking into ip fire I can see the benefit of this over pfsense as I'm not using it as a router etc so I thank you for this. My setup is now updated with a firewall after router with nice easy to manage software. :)

Hey there, welcome to the forums! 

Thank you, always nice to receive such a kind welcome :)