pcie ssd as boot drive, hdd as storage is it a good idea

Aqmal Ramadhan

Yashh

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

The only difference between PCIe and SATA SSDs is the interface and speed. The drives work the same way. I'd say yes to an SSD as boot regardless of type.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

@Aqmal Ramadhan

That's what everyone does :)

Pretty much everyone that built a PC. Either PCIE or SATA SSD for boot because they are fast, and HDDs for bulk storage, because they are cheap.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

are PCIe SSD more expensive? why not use the standard SATA SSD?

it's my first time 

Wellcome to the froum!

The old PCI-E SSDs used to be a RAID 0 soldered on a single PCB. They are extem fast on sequential read / write operation, but the raid controller adds some extra latency, so for smal files they are not so good. Also the raid need time to start up what will extend your start up time.

The new NVME based SSD are way better than the AHCI. And there are (as far as I know) only PCI-E once, because SATA is to slow and will highly bottleneck the SSD. But to be honest you don't need an SSD that fast unless you are not compileing or doing some other exotic task.

And last but not least the PCI-E SSDs are quite expensive. You are better off buying a "normal", but bigger SSD. Get a 256 / 512 GB one and you can also store all applications on the SSD. That's much faster than the OS on a extrem fast SSD and the applications on the HHD.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Adding to the topic. Does a PCIe SSD Hinder Graphical Performance? Since both the Graphics Card and the PCIe SSD use the same Bus ... will there be an significant difference?

Also there can be two cases if i'm right?

If the game files are on the PCIe SSD?

If the game files are on the Secondary HDD?

In each case how does the performance stand out?

Currently: Drooling over the Show off your setup! post.

Adding to the topic. Does a PCIe SSD Hinder Graphical Performance? Since both the Graphics Card and the PCIe SSD use the same Bus ... will there be an significant difference?

- The storage have a huge impact on laoding time, but only a litte on average FPS. But you may get a micro stutter from time to time.

- You need 4 additional PCI-E lanes. As long as you don't have mutiple GPU's hav have enough.

- What do you mean?

- Short loading times, but not noticable faster than with a SATA SSD.

- Long loading time.

Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjc-XW0G7Y

and hera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEjGKYXjw8

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

- The storage have a huge impact on laoding time, but only a litte on average FPS. But you may get a micro stutter from time to time.

- You need 4 additional PCI-E lanes. As long as you don't have mutiple GPU's hav have enough.

- What do you mean?

- Short loading times, but not noticable faster than with a SATA SSD.

- Long loading time.

Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjc-XW0G7Y

and hera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEjGKYXjw8

Thanks for a Reply. But we are talking about PCIe SSDs and not Regular SSD right? 

PCIe SSD will be using a PCI Express Lane. And My Graphics Card will also be using a PCI Express Lane.

I am saying If the PCIe SSD is busy loading something while the Graphic card needs to use the Lane. Will it affect graphical performance of the card?

I am sorry I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Hardware . :P 

Currently: Drooling over the Show off your setup! post.

Thanks for a Reply. But we are talking about PCIe SSDs and not Regular SSD right? 

PCIe SSD will be using a PCI Express Lane. And My Graphics Card will also be using a PCI Express Lane.

I am saying If the PCIe SSD is busy loading something while the Graphic card needs to use the Lane. Will it affect graphical performance of the card?

I am sorry I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Hardware . :P

Don't worry everybody has to learn it.

A i7-4790 has 16 PCI-E lanes. The GPU needs 8 (they can also run in 16x mode, but that has no impact on FPS). The PCI-E SSD needs 4 lanes. So both can run parallel without interfering.

Even the benchmark numers of an PCI-E are great you can't saturate the performance in a normal usecase like gaming. If you have a server with multiple virtual machines or a workstation they are good. But for gaming is a total overkill, because the price per GB is high.

But a bigger SATA SSD or use the money for a better GPU. You benefit much more.

• 7 months later...

Did anyone ever get to compare OS and applications boot time between PCIe and SATA SSDs?