Speed up windows 7?

shirokado

I went back to windows 7 pro from windows 8.1 pro... and everything feels sluggish. Even when booting things take quite a bit longer to load(just getting into the operating system, getting into the operating system and loading all the apps) And for some reason my ethernet adapter doesn't want to connect to the internet until about 20 seconds after the computer is booted. What are my options, I could reinstall windows 8.1 pro, but I was going to sell that to my friend, which is why i have windows 7 reinstalled. This is a legal version, not pirated in anyway. Even the install is from official microsoft download.

Also for some reason, my mouse and keyboard don't want to respond when I come back from sleep. I checked settings and made sure to check the "allow device to wake up machine" or something like that, and still no good.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I went back to windows 7 pro from windows 8.1 pro... and everything feels sluggish. Even when booting things take quite a bit longer to load(just getting into the operating system, getting into the operating system and loading all the apps) And for some reason my ethernet adapter doesn't want to connect to the internet until about 20 seconds after the computer is booted. What are my options, I could reinstall windows 8.1 pro, but I was going to sell that to my friend, which is why i have windows 7 reinstalled. This is a legal version, not pirated in anyway. Even the install is from official microsoft download.

Also for some reason, my mouse and keyboard don't want to respond when I come back from sleep. I checked settings and made sure to check the "allow device to wake up machine" or something like that, and still no good.

Check that your chipset drivers are installed. The slow boot time is simply because you're used to 8.1's Hybrid Shutdown, which basically hibernates the OS and by doing so decreases boot time. And check your startup programs to make sure that no crap is in there.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Check that your chipset drivers are installed. The slow boot time is simply because you're used to 8.1's Hybrid Shutdown, which basically hibernates the OS and by doing so decreases boot time. And check your startup programs to make sure that no crap is in there.

It's a fresh install, I literally have nothing except drivers chrome and firefox installed.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It's a fresh install, I literally have nothing except drivers chrome and firefox installed.

Alright, but did you install the chipset drivers?

want to fly on boot? get an SSD bud. windows 7 isnt "slower" it just REALLY shuts down. windows 8.1 just kinda fake shuts down like all consoles now adays...it goes into " standby" mode. some form of hibernation.

EDIT: ninja'd by speed bird....you are quite the speed bird indeed.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

I actually did not. I'm installing it right now to see if it can solve most of my issues. 

want to fly on boot? get an SSD bud. windows 7 isnt "slower" it just REALLY shuts down. windows 8.1 just kinda fake shuts down like all consoles now adays...it goes into " standby" mode. some form of hibernation.

"get an ssd bud" i have a 512gb 840 pro. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a pretty fast SSD.

"get an ssd bud" i have a 512gb 840 pro. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a pretty fast SSD.

:I my boot is 32 seconds to active desktop...i have a 80gb 7200rpm HDD. whats your boot?

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

Windows 8.1 does not go into standby mode - it is more like log off and hibernate. The PC doesn't actually use power when Windows 8.1 shuts it down. The only time this will cause problems is with Windows Updates, which is actually why I disable it on systems with SSDs, as the boot time is already very fast.

-update drivers

-scan for viruses with a program like 360 total security

-turn any unused programs off

-if very desperate you can factory reset your laptop

1. drivers are freshly installed with the latest

2. virus scan has been done

3. there isn't any programs even installed right now

4. this is a fresh install

Ok, I updated the chipset driver. It fixed the ethernet issue. But the mouse/keyboard problem is still there. I could wake the computer from sleep with my keyboard, but not my mouse for some reason, and even if it wakes up, i can't input anything or move the cursor.

Ok, I updated the chipset driver. It fixed the ethernet issue. But the mouse/keyboard problem is still there. I could wake the computer from sleep with my keyboard, but not my mouse for some reason, and even if it wakes up, i can't input anything or move the cursor.

Check the BIOS settings and make sure it allows the kb/mouse to wake the computer. I undertstand that they can wake it up, they just become unresponsive, but give it a try.

well go cry in a corner :P sorrs im not too good with handling lag

It's not really lag, its just immensely slower than windows 8, it might just be that windows 8 is fater, but it shouldn't be this different.

Check the BIOS settings and make sure it allows the kb/mouse to wake the computer. I undertstand that they can wake it up, they just become unresponsive, but give it a try.

Where would I find that setting? I tried looking through the BIOS and couldn't find anything like that. Specifically I looked under USB settings or something

Keep in mind that this only happens if Fast Boot is enabled. Most aftermarket machines come with it disabled in the UEFI so Windows 8.1 will actually shut down and cold boot each time.

:I my boot is 32 seconds to active desktop...i have a 80gb 7200rpm HDD. whats your boot?

My machine cold boots every time I turn it on because I don't use Fast Boot and my Windows 8.1 load time from when the bios screen stops to a fully active desktop is under 8 seconds.

You could turn off the boot logo through msconfig, that speed up my boot times on 7 by a little bit.

All I can think of sorry.

It's not getting into the OS part that's annoying me, its getting into the desktop, and taking forever to load everything.