I7 920 & GPU bottleneck?

Hi,

I have a I7 920 (OC 3.5Ghz) and would like to know what's the best GPU I could get, without bottlenecking the GPU?

I'm new to building pc's so.

GTX 970 depending on your budget

i dont really think that a 920 would be a huge bottleneck on any modern high end cards. its the enthusiast grade cards that you might struggle with. Youd probably be safe with anything below a 980 or 290x

I had a i5 750 at 167mhzxturbo (3.5-4ghz) and it was able to bottleneck my 7950 in certain games, notably crysis 3, bf4, and LoL. Upgrading to the 4690k, I was able to achieve much higher minimums in crysis 3, slightly smoother fps and framerates (to the point where mantle didn't make a difference), and at least 100+ fps gains in LoL. 

There's almost nothing the 920 will bottleneck, get whatever is in your budget and enjoy, the 920 is still a beast of a CPU and will keep up with just about anything you could reasonably throw at it.

Will you get better performance from newer CPU's? Of course you will, but that isn't to say you should just up and upgrade right this second, as long as Nehalem has the features you want then keep it, hell, even a Q6600 is still a good CPU for gaming considering its age and that was released nearly 8 years ago.

Your CPU at it's current overclocked level is roughly the same performance as a 3770K at stock, and that's no slouch either.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

GTX 970 or below, and Radeon 270X or below.

Anything from then on could potentially (unlikely, but you wanna be sure ) bottleneck you GPU.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

GTX 970 or below, and Radeon 270X or below.

Anything from then on could potentially (unlikely, but you wanna be sure ) bottleneck you GPU.

Are you serious? A R9 270X isn't even close to a GTX970, a 970 is closer to a R9 280X, maybe a R9 290 than a 270X, and in any case, an i7 920 is way way WAY faster than anything that would bottleneck either of those 2 GPU's, an i7 920 is capable of running SLI with GTX 980's and power the pair of them to full speed.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's slow, a 920 is as fast as most CPU's from the 3xxx series from Intel and is faster than even the FX8320 in single threaded workloads even when running at stock.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium

Toms Hardware has an i7-920 in the same tier of gaming CPUs as an FX-6300, and an FX-6300 will bottleneck the hell out of a GTX 970 or higher.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Thats because AMD processors suck fucking dick at IPC/Single-core performance.

920 is a lot like the i5-2500/2600k or 3570k, overclocked a beast but stock not so impressive.

Toms Hardware has an i7-920 in the same tier of gaming CPUs as an FX-6300, and an FX-6300 will bottleneck the hell out of a GTX 970 or higher.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

I just looked at some Anandtech reviews of the FX6300, and I stand corrected, and the FX6300 is as fast in most cases, and the FX8320 is faster, but not by much in most cases, from the numbers I saw, the 920 is typically about 10% slower, but even that isn't worth worrying about when you overclock the 920, which more than makes up those differences.

I'm still correct though that the 920 will not bottleneck any GPU currently on the market, so the OP can buy pretty much whatever he wants and will be just fine.