Can't figure out problem with code - Barnacules Codegasm #3

Tigeraceray

Hey guys I've been watching his series and I'm up to this video in the series but I hit a problem. I just for whatever reason cannot get my code to work. I've double checked everything he's doing and I have it all typed in right. Anyway here is the code:

using System;using System.Collections.Generic;using System.Linq;using System.Text;using System.Threading.Tasks;using System.Diagnostics;using System.Threading;namespace Jarvis{    class Program    {        static void Main(string[] args)        {            //this will pull the cureent cpu load in percentage            PerformanceCounter perfCpuCount = new PerformanceCounter("Processor Information", "% Processor Time", "_Total");            // This will pull the current available memory in Megabytes            PerformanceCounter perfMemCount = new PerformanceCounter("Memory", "Available MBytes");            //infinite while loop            while (true)            {                Thread.Sleep(1000);                Console.WriteLine("CPU Load:         {0}", perfCpuCount.NextValue());                Console.WriteLine("Available Memory: {0}", perfMemCount.NextValue());            }        }    }}

It should output the CPU load and available memory at this point but instead I get errors at lines 16 and 19 (bolded).

The error I get is:

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot load Counter Namedata because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String category, String counter, Boolean& categoryExists)   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String machine, String category, String counter)   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)   at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName)   at Jarvis.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Jarvis\Program.cs:line 16Press any key to continue . . .

I have Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium, he was doing it on Windows 8. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. Any ideas why its not working? It's driving me crazy at this point. Visual Studio isn't seeing any errors so I'm at a loss. Thanks guys!

Try opening a command prompt and running the command "lodctr /r" then retry the program.

It says it was unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, error code 5. I had a loss of power event a few weeks ago that nearly crippled the OS (still need to buy a UPS). I guess this is some damage from it.

It says it was unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, error code 5. I had a loss of power event a few weeks ago that nearly crippled the OS (still need to buy a UPS). I guess this is some damage from it.

Make sure you're running it as an administrator and try capitalizing the /R

Just tried it. It cleared it up right away! Thanks Fizzle. Hopefully I won't have too many problems here on out with it. I had been stuck with that for the last few days.