New build - comments?

neocronix

So a friend of mine asked to build him a pc, with the following goals:

• Light to medium gaming for atleast 5 years.
  • Running a gameserver for a couple of hours per day, probably while gaming.
  • Silent (if possible).
  • Stay within budget.

So here is the build i was thinking of: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mkbwXL

Any comments?

Note: I didn't mention the budget because i live in Belgium and pricing is quite different.

It's a good build, it'll work out for sure. Only thing if you want silence then go with Corsair RM series. Everything else looks fine, I'm not sure if the 290 will still quiet though, maybe with a difference fan curve. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

It's a good build, it'll work out for sure. Only thing if you want silence then go with Corsair RM series. Everything else looks fine, I'm not sure if the 290 will still quiet though, maybe with a difference fan curve. 

Yeah those things usually put out a lot of heat resulting in fan speeds up the roof.

Yeah those things usually put out a lot of heat resulting in fan speeds up the roof.

My thoughts, but we don't know.

Also, to answer your sig question. I'm getting Google Fiber when it comes out later this year ;)

The RM650 or 750 also crossed my mind, but then i would be going over the budget. I didn't really think about the loudness of the gpu, i hope it wont be to loud. As you said, maybe a custom fancurve will help. Thanks for your comment!  :)

Don't bother with using pcpartpicker if you're not using the listed shops.

Can you link us to where you're shopping? Budget?

What servers are being run? What do you mean by light/medium gaming?

5 years is a long time to not upgrade. I'd suggest just getting what's needed now and to upgrade more frequently in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My thoughts, but we don't know.

Also, to answer your sig question. I'm getting Google Fiber when it comes out later this year ;)

To answer that, Ive been in austin for about a year and it was said that they were going to bring it in 2013. so... yeah... Im still waiting!

To answer that, Ive been in austin for about a year and it was said that they were going to bring it in 2013. so... yeah... Im still waiting!

That worries me, GOOGLE I KNOW YOU SEE THIS, GIFF FIBER!