4gb+8gb or 4+4+4gb?

I use gigabyte z97x gaming 3 mother board..... I currently have a single 4gb stick installed.. I wanna upgrade... Should i install 2 more 4 gb (single or dual ch) or 1 single 8 gb? My mobo is capable of 32gigs of ram.. I am running i7 4790k... And is 12 gig good enough to use premier smoothly?

dual channel config is always the best config because then the rams sticks will share the load rather than go to one stick also dont buy random stick the ram sticks need to be the same as the other ones or you are gonna run into some serious ram problems

dual channel config is always the best config because then the rams sticks will share the load rather than go to one stick also dont buy random stick the ram sticks need to be the same as the other ones or you are gonna run into some serious ram problems

@samiibnjamil, you won't run into any RAM problems, they just won't perform optimally.

I suggest you go 4x3 instead of 8+4. 12 GB of RAM is plenty for most applications, premier will try to use as much as it can anyway.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

it doesn't always need to be a matching pair of sticks, but it should be... the size (2gb, 4gb, 8gb) and number of ram chips on the sticks needs to be the same for dual channel to work.

you should buy 3 more 4gb sticks.

or, the best choice, buy two 8gb sticks and sell the 4gb stick you have

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

it doesn't always need to be a matching pair of sticks, but it should be... the size (2gb, 4gb, 8gb) and number of ram chips on the sticks needs to be the same for dual channel to work.

No, if the amount of memory in each channel doesn't match, the system can still run in flex mode. So if there's a single 4GB stick in one channel, and in the other channel there's either a single 8GB stick or two 4GB sticks, then the first 4GB in each channel will be matched up in dual channel mode, with the excess 4GB in single channel mode (and any smart OS will use those slower 4GB last).

It's like running a 1TB and a 2TB HDD in RAID0, with the excess 1TB on the second drive available separately. Not the neatest solution, but it works.

No, if the amount of memory in each channel doesn't match, the system can still run in flex mode. So if there's a single 4GB stick in one channel, and in the other channel there's either a single 8GB stick or two 4GB sticks, then the first 4GB in each channel will be matched up in dual channel mode, with the excess 4GB in single channel mode (and any smart OS will use those slower 4GB last).

It's like running a 1TB and a 2TB HDD in RAID0, with the excess 1TB on the second drive available separately. Not the neatest solution, but it works.

neat, I had assumed it would run as slow as its slowest stick rather than fill it up from fastest to slowest...

But then again that's what the gtx970 does :-P

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.