How to control multiple fans?

Sportsman225
Go to solution Solved by blackadder,

This is what the web page says about the motherboard I have in the parts list.

asdfasdf.png

Do I not have enough ports? How will I attach all of the fans that I have? I guess that is really my question here.

6 fans? You will need a fan spilter. Get them from Amazon or monoprice. Less than 10 usd. You can control/power around 4 fans with a header, sometimes more/less.

Link to build

For my first build I will be getting the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case and I will be getting multiple fans to go with it. I will basically be doing what this person did but I but how do I power and control all of them? What will the fans be connected to? I'm just not too clear on how that will all work.

Sorry for my "noviceness" but this is probably the one thing on Linus' builds I was always confused on.

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

Link to build

For my first build I will be getting the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 case and I will be getting multiple fans to go with it. I will basically be doing what this person did but I but how do I power and control all of them? What will the fans be connected to? I'm just not too clear on how that will all work.

Sorry for my "noviceness" but this is probably the one thing on Linus' builds I was always confused on.

your motherboard has 3 or 4 pin fan headers you can use or you can use a fan controller. You can control fans from software or bios with your motherboard. 3 pin fans go off voltage while pmw use pulse width modulation. Pmw fans are 4 pin. 4 pin can run at a variable rpm, 3 pin almost have a low medium and high, being 3 volt 5volt and 12 volt respectively.

So, if I wanted to connect all of the fans to the motherboard, how would I do that?

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

So, if I wanted to connect all of the fans to the motherboard, how would I do that?

you can use the fan headers that come on it. They are labeled cpu_fan, cpu_ opt, fan_1, fan_2, ect check to see if they are 3 or 4 pin. The cpu fan header is normally the only one that has true pmw even if all the other fan headers have 4 pins, this isn't always the case just normally is. You can also use a fan spilter if you run out of fan headers.

Do I not have enough ports? How will I attach all of the fans that I have? I guess that is really my question here.

Edit: Didn't notice you edited your post.

asdfasdf.png

6 fans? You will need a fan spilter. Get them from Amazon or monoprice. Less than 10 usd. You can control/power around 4 fans with a header, sometimes more/less.

6 fans? You will need a fan spilter. Get them from Amazon or monoprice. Less than 10 usd. You can control/power around 4 fans with a hearder, sometimes more/less.

Thank you! That was the info I needed to know. Everything was not straight forward when I was looking up things online. Thank you again!

Is something like this what I want?

Link

yes, this would be it. They are 3 pin fyi.

Cool! I think I know how I'm gonna do it. Bottom and Front 2 fans on one splitter and Back and Top 2 fans on another. Thanks for the help!

Cool! I think I know how I'm gonna do it. Bottom and Front 2 fans on one splitter and Back and Top 2 fans on another. Thanks for the help!

no problem. Watch your fingers when you plug them in, its like checking your blood sugar if you aren't careful :).

no problem. Watch your fingers when you plug them in, its like checking your blood sugar if you aren't careful :).

Lol no promices.

Also another quick question. Do you think it would be a good idea to wait to buy a aftermarket cooler until after my build is complete and I know how hot my computer runs? I won't be overclocking so I assume temps will be fine.

Lol no promices.

Also another quick question. Do you think it would be a good idea to wait to buy a aftermarket cooler until after my build is complete and I know how hot my computer runs? I won't be overclocking so I assume temps will be fine.

temps will be fine with stock. they can be loud though. save $20-30 and do it all at once. i really don't want to take off my heatsink, it sucks. up to you, i'm kinda lazy.

temps will be fine with stock. they can be loud though. save $20-30 and do it all at once. i really don't want to take off my heatsink, it sucks. up to you, i'm kinda lazy.

Any one specifically you recommend?

Let me guess what you will recommend. Hmmm... *Using Brain Psychic Powers* THIS!

Any one specifically you recommend?

Let me guess what you will recommend. Hmmm... *Using Brain Psychic Powers* THIS!

that would be it. also a few others this one may be quieter hence the name lol 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2326642&cm_re=be_quite-_-9SIA68V2326642-_-Product

this fat one right here is almost a kilo, hanging off your motherboard. i don't think you should get it just want to point it out. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999034&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-999-034-_-Product

that would be it. also a few others this one may be quieter hence the name lol 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2326642&cm_re=be_quite-_-9SIA68V2326642-_-Product

this fat one right here is almost a kilo, hanging off your motherboard. i don't think you should get it just want to point it out. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999034&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-999-034-_-Product

I think I'm going to go with the be quiet! one.

Does it come with Thermal Compound? I will probably be purchasing my own anyway

I think I'm going to go with the be quiet! one.

Does it come with Thermal Compound? I will probably be purchasing my own anyway

it should best from worst thermal compound is a few c maybe 3 from stock.