Best 1440p gaming monitor with gtx 980

lynxfist

Hi, so I recently built my first PC, i7-4790k, 16gb ram, MSI gtx 980, Samsung 240gb sad and 2tb HDD. I have a question regarding the monitor I should buy.

Obviously the 980 is overkill for 1080p gaming and I don't want to buy a 4k monitor, which leaves 1440p. I've been searching a little and the one monitor everybody recommends is the Asus PB278q 1440p monitor. Are there any better alternatives to this monitor?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The Dell U2715H is a bit newer and better, but pricier in most cases. If you have unlimited budget the Acer XB270HU is a fantastic monitor, but it is quite expensive.

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes it is a little pricier, can you recommend anything a little cheaper than that or does going cheaper significantly reduce the monitors quality?

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes it is a little pricier, can you recommend anything a little cheaper than that or does going cheaper significantly reduce the monitors quality?

The U2515H is good as well, if you don't mind a slightly smaller size (25").

I got a 980- and bundled it with a ROG Swift. Best choice I've made period.

I got a 980- and bundled it with a ROG Swift. Best choice I've made period.

Why do you say this, I'm thinking of buying a swift with my coming build but I don't know about it not being IPS and that it has a black bar around the screen.. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Sorry OP for asking in this feed.

I'll just leave this here.

1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync, IPS-type panel. I have one since friday, and yes, it is that good!

Although there are some people complaining about backlight bleeding in the bottom right corner with this model. Mine has it too, but its actually not that bad. I wouldn't even have noticed it at all, if I hadn't read about it before.

MSI Z77A-GD55 | Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz (Noctua NH-D14) | Zotac GTX 980 @ 1.4 GHz (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV) | 16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD | 1 TB Seagate HDD | Lian Li PC-9F

Why do you say this, I'm thinking of buying a swift with my coming build but I don't know about it not being IPS and that it has a black bar around the screen.. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Sorry OP for asking in this feed.

Well- 1440P + 144HZ just feels damn amazing. Even if it weren't for GSYNC (which is great), the fluidity of 144HZ at such a high resolution feels great- and looks good too. People always have this prejudiced discussion of TN vs IPS, but honestly, going from  an Asus Pro Art panel to the ROG Swift hasn't really affected me- in regards to the TN limits in regards to viewing angles and color issues. That thin black bar is so inconspicuously hidden by the actual bezel that it really isn't a major issue- even if it was, I like it! 

I wouldn't want to go back from IPS to TN.

I didn't expect this, but for me, it really makes a huge difference! The absence of vertical color shift makes the overall experience so much better.

So if you're thinking about getting the ROG Swift ... I'd strongly consider the Acer XB270HU instead. It has everything the ROG Swift has, but with an IPS panel.

(The only thing it lacks is Nvidia 3D Vision support.)

MSI Z77A-GD55 | Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz (Noctua NH-D14) | Zotac GTX 980 @ 1.4 GHz (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV) | 16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD | 1 TB Seagate HDD | Lian Li PC-9F

I wouldn't want to go back from IPS to TN.

I didn't expect this, but for me, it really makes a huge difference! The absence of vertical color shift makes the overall experience so much better.

So if you're thinking about getting the ROG Swift ... I'd strongly consider the Acer XB270HU instead. It has everything the ROG Swift has, but with an IPS panel.

(The only thing it lacks is Nvidia 3D Vision support.)

I agree- the Acer wasn't out at the time of purchase. The only reason I still am happy with my choice is just aesthetics- the Asus panel looks really nice with my setup (but that's totally individual)

Acer XB270HU

is this out yet? I can't find it on Newegg or PCCaseGear. I live in Australia though and we never get the new stuff.

The Acer seems better for me seeming that I won't need 3D Support. But as I said, it is nowhere to be seen.

It is out, yes.

It's available (but sparse) here in Europe, I was lucky enough to get one... But I have no idea about availability on other continents, sorry.

Acer XB270HU

is this out yet? I can't find it on Newegg or PCCaseGear. I live in Australia though and we never get the new stuff.

The Acer seems better for me seeming that I won't need 3D Support. But as I said, it is nowhere to be seen.

Yeah its not out in Aussie- thats why I grabbed the ROG Swift.

The Acer XB270HU went on for preorder on PCCASEGEAR. FYI All Audtralians.

acer xr341ck

Hey guys I'm also in Australia and I couldn't find the dell u2515h anywhere, was looking for something under the $600 aud mark preferably, so I thought the u2515h would be good. Can anybody recommend something or is the bigger and more expensive 27" dell the only other solid option?

dell is never the only option. What are you doing with your monitor? Do you want g-sync? Are you AMD or Nvidia?

I have a gtx 980 and I don't necessarily need g-sync but if there's a monitor around $600 aud that has gsync I of course wouldn't mind it

It is only 1080p, I think but it is near $600. I know GTX 980 is a bit over kill but...

Hi,

Just a quick question, which one would you recommend to get between the Asus pb278qr and dell u2715h? I can get both at a similar price and they both seem to be recommended equally, so is there any particular reason to get one over the other?

Check the Acer predator, 27" 1440p 144hz gsync.  

I really would love to but its out of my budget range ;/, thus ive narrowed it down to the two options mentioned above, any recommendations between these 2 monitors? or something similarly priced?

I have the pb278qr; it's awesome so far, and I got it used in perfect condition for $340, which definitely helps my opinion.  It looks like the dell has a higher native refresh rate at 86hz, if I'm not mistaken.  Both new, the dell is more expensive, so if you can find one that is pretty close in price to the asus, I'd get the dell.