144hz or 4k monitors

Mnemosyune

Hey guys,

I'm debating on buying a 144hz 1080p monitor or a 4k monitor.

I mainly play CSGO competitively, some single player RPGs like Witcher 2 (also looking forward to Witcher 3, GTA etc) and some movie watching.

For CSGO I am at the level where I think a 144hz monitor would actually make a difference for my performance but I don't want to sacrifice the awesome screen as I heard the TN panel are nowhere near the looks of an IPS panel. I would love to enjoy some gaming and movie at 4k resolution (my rig is capable) but how would I play CSGO? There is no way I would play CSGO above 1080p as it screws up my aim.

Guys please educate me the pros/cons with 4k monitors and 144hz TN panel monitors and help me with my decision. Thank you all so much!

P.S. I have considered 1440p 144hz BenQ offers but I don't know how it looks when I play at 1080p, I hate looking at blurry things. Also, I watched the Linus review on the new IPS panel 1440p 144hz monitor and I am very interested. However, I have no information on when that would be released in Canada and be purchased. 

144hz 1080p / 1440p ofc.

For ± 250$, the benq xl2411z.

If you want g-sync / freesync panel, let me know which GPU you currently have in your PC (note that IMO a titan x is the only GPU good enough for 1440p 144hz gaming).

PS click the "follow this topic" on the top right to get messages when someone replies to this thread and also click "quote" if you want someone else to get a notification that you have responded to them.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Both. The winds of change are blowing through the desolate lands of monitors. Soon becometh the ASUS 4K 144hz IPS and so will the earths reckoning. 

I personally wouldn't go with a 4k monitor they require too much power to drive. Unless you have the money to spend on baller hardware go with a 1440p monitor you get the higher density with a lower power requirement & not many windows scaling issues.

Just an average guy with a dream that one day he will own a custom watercooling loop.

I'd say 144hz.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

144hz 1080p / 1440p ofc.

For ± 250$, the benq xl2411z.

If you want g-sync / freesync panel, let me know which GPU you currently have in your PC (note that IMO a titan x is the only GPU good enough for 1440p 144hz gaming).

PS click the "follow this topic" on the top right to get messages when someone replies to this thread and also click "quote" if you want someone else to get a notification that you have responded to them.

I was looking at this exact one the other day but I am still concerned with the TN panel. 

I personally wouldn't go with a 4k monitor they require too much power to drive. Unless you have the money to spend on baller hardware go with a 1440p monitor you get the higher density with a lower power requirement & not many windows scaling issues.

Would you recommend any specific models for 1440p? I am planning on buying a Titan X and Linus said it could handle 4k :D

144hz, and get a BenQ XL2411Z. It's better than the VG248QE at like the same price.

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Would you recommend any specific models for 1440p? I am planning on buying a Titan X and Linus said it could handle 4k :D

Wow Titan X you must have some money to throw around :o:P If you want decent viewing angles and colours i'd go with the Asus PB278Q if you don't mind the slightly slower response time. If you want a faster response time at the sacrifice of IPS go with the Asus PG278Q its 144hz and 1ms.

Just an average guy with a dream that one day he will own a custom watercooling loop.

I was looking at this exact one the other day but I am still concerned with the TN panel. 

I currently own the XL2411Z, and with some colour correcting profiles it looks quite good (not as good as my IPS panel, but still very good for a TN panel).

With a Titan X, i would recommend a 1440p 144hz monitor (a good "cheap" one with g-sync: Acer Predator XB270HUbprz)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Wow Titan X you must have some money to throw around :o:P If you want decent viewing angles and colours i'd go with the Asus PB278Q if you don't mind the slightly slower response time. If you want a faster response time at the sacrifice of IPS go with the Asus PG278Q its 144hz and 1ms.

I've done my saving :P What about the refresh rate? Would that be a bigger factor than the response time? 

I've done my saving :P What about the refresh rate? Would that be a bigger factor than the response time? 

It's unfortunately only 60hz so yes that would be a bigger factor.

I currently own the XL2411Z, and with some colour correcting profiles it looks quite good (not as good as my IPS panel, but still very good for a TN panel).

With a Titan X, i would recommend a 1440p 144hz monitor (a good "cheap" one with g-sync: Acer Predator XB270HUbprz)

How would the scaling go for a 1440p playing at 1080p? Would stuff look blurry? 

Also, I can't seem to find the monitor you are referring to but what about the BenQ XL2730Z or the ASUS PG278Q

I believe the Acer Predator XB270HU is the IPS one? That would be great but is it on sale in NA?

How does a higher resolution screw up your aim?  :huh:

It all depends. If you think you need the higher framerate, go for 144hz. However, be aware than a 4k ips panel will look a LOT better.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just a tip, if you're going 4k you're much better off with an R9 295x2. It's faster than the titan x and cheaper.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

144hz, the resolution increase won't increase the satisfaction as much as the smoothness of 144hz. And once you get used to 144hz, 60fps gameplay will look like choppy sack of potatos

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

144hz, the resolution increase won't increase the satisfaction as much as the smoothness of 144hz. And once you get used to 144hz, 60fps gameplay will look like choppy sack of potatos

4K > 144hz for sure, 144 is okay but it gets stale fast 4K just feels smooth as feck (IF you have the horse power to back it up). Maybe when they release 4K 100Hz panels in the future...:P

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

4K > 144hz for sure, 144 is okay but it gets stale fast 4K just feels smooth as feck (IF you have the horse power to back it up). Maybe when they release 4K 100Hz panels in the future...:P

What? Did you just say 4k feels smooth? How exactly does a resolution feel smooth. I'd take a 800x600 at 144hz then 4k. Resolution isn't notice when playing games. 144hz is.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What? Did you just say 4k feels smooth? How exactly does a resolution feel smooth. I'd take a 800x600 at 144hz then 4k. Resolution isn't notice when playing games. 144hz is.

I think you took it out of context, I never said 144 isn't smooth it's just that a lot of people can't run 144hz and 4K isn't exactly requiring you to have 144fps to make it manageable 4K > 144hz unless you missed out my point where I said "(IF you have the horse power to back it up)" meaning if you actually have the GPU power to run 4K take that over high refresh rates sure higher refresh rates are better but overall 4K just feels more natural because you aren't forcing you graphics card to shit out high amounts of FPS and it's going to be around a lot longer than 144hz will be in fact 8k is going to be a descendant of 4K and I will ask you this? what has come after 144hz refresh rate? Nothing and I doubt anyone could go any high at this time or ever unless you are running Crysis 3 in 2020 with Titan XYZ 4/20...

In my opinion anything about 60hz is a bit of a gimmick you pay out the arse for slightly better response unless you play twitch shooters you might as well just get high rez. 60hz is fine for what it is.

I think you took it out of context, I never said 144 isn't smooth it's just that a lot of people can't run 144hz and 4K isn't exactly requiring you to have 144fps to make it manageable 4K > 144hz unless you missed out my point where I said "(IF you have the horse power to back it up)" meaning if you actually have the GPU power to run 4K take that over high refresh rates sure higher refresh rates are better but overall 4K just feels more natural because you aren't forcing you graphics card to shit out high amounts of FPS and it's going to be around a lot longer than 144hz will be in fact 8k is going to be a descendant of 4K and I will ask you this? what has come after 144hz refresh rate? Nothing and I doubt anyone could go any high at this time or ever unless you are running Crysis 3 in 2020 with Titan XYZ 4/20...

In my opinion anything about 60hz is a bit of a gimmick you pay out the arse for slightly better response unless you play twitch shooters you might as well just get high rez. 60hz is fine for what it is.

I can already tell you never used 144hz for a decent period of time. 60hz isn't smooth under any circumstances for gaming. While 60fps videos look smooth, 60fps gaming is an extremely choppy. Even when you're not running games,moving your mouse back and forth, 60hz is choppy. It gives me a headache to use a 60hz monitor.

And how exactly did I take it out of context. You said 4k is smooth, how is a resolution smooth.

I can already tell you never used 144hz for a decent period of time. 60hz isn't smooth under any circumstances for gaming. While 60fps videos look smooth, 60fps gaming is an extremely choppy. Even when you're not running games,moving your mouse back and forth, 60hz is choppy. It gives me a headache to use a 60hz monitor.

And how exactly did I take it out of context. You said 4k is smooth, how is a resolution smooth.

You made an assumption that was wrong, deal with it and I have used 144hz before but I would take 4K over 144hz because it's a waste of graphics resources when I can just use 4K. 144hz ins't for me so why are you telling me I haven't used 144hz just because I don't like it? Some people don't like it so deal with it. 60hz is default so don't try and say it's choppy you 144hz snob.

It's incredibly simple.

Buy what you prefer. Screen estate, sharpness and color reproduction (Most of 1ms 144Hz are TN's.) or more fluid graphics if your PC is capable of constantly pushing over 120 frames.

I'm not going to limit myself to FPS'es to truly enjoy 144Hz, so I got 4k.

Video Editing, Reddit, Excel, Graphics, and cherry on top, Gaming.

If I combine all of that, the amount of time I'll use the 4K over 144Hz, is 5 to 1.

Choose the weapon for your needs. That's all it is about.