Upgrading mobile

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Budget option - oneplus one

Expensive option - HTC one M8/M9

From what I have heard the oneplus one has OK durability and us otherwise amazing for the price. If you're willing to splash put the extra a HTC one M8 or M9 would have pretty good durability due to aluminium. If you're looking for an extreme budget option Samsung Galaxy s2 would be my choice as for what you want to do with it it would be fine only thing for the S2 is if you buy used get a new battery and a glass screen protector might not be available, but you can still get plastic ones that are OK. You should be able to find glass screen protectors for the other phones though. If you really want the aluminium but not the price tag of the M8 you could probably get away with the M7 for what you need.

I would recommend that you get a screen protector for any phone as if you drop it it massively reduces the chance the screen will break. Chances of not breaking areven better if you get a glass protector.

Hey folks,

I am looking to update my mobile (within the next 2 months tops) from an Iphone 5 to likely an android (because I see no big update to the iphone 6). I've never had an android so I know nothing about mods or OS's or anything, but I imagine learning will not be difficult. I like the look of the m8 (and the m9 but poor reviews have made me nervous) and I know the s6 is considered the best out there but no sd slot kinda bugs me. I haven't had the chance to use or even hold any android phone before, but I know the iphone 5's 4.8 inch screen is pretty well ideal for me, so no phablets. 

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I know there are reviews out there but they rarely cover the REAL issues that I know heavy users like you guys will find. Also, whats this about blackberry making a comeback?!

P.S: I live in Canada with the carrier Bell so some phones (such as the OnePlusOne are as far as im aware, unavailable)

There is nothing wrong with the M9 - unless you want a good camera, it has great hardware, well built and good software and performance

MKBHD gave it a really good review!!

Thats all I have to say.. being an iPhone 6 user I have no recommendations

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

P.S: I live in Canada with the carrier Bell so some phones (such as the OnePlusOne are as far as im aware, unavailable)

That shouldn't be a problem if you're willing to pay for the phone phone upfront SIM free and and get a SIM only contract, that is if your carrier does have SIM only contracts.

Like what speedbird said about the M9 it's still a good phone if you don't mind about the camera.

What do you want / need from your phone and we could give some suggestions about what to get.

P.S. Don't forget to follow your topics.

P.S. Don't forget to follow your topics.

Thanks, didn't even realize this was a thing.

Im a standard Uni student who texts/calls a lot, uses snapchat/instagram/twitter/facebook a lot, don't really do phone gaming, wouldn't mind a decent camera but the camera on my iphone 5 now is broken so really anyone that works is an upgrade. Battery life-- again, anything is an improvement over what I have currently, so not SUPER picky about it. I do however hate cases on phones so would like something durable, my 5 has been dropped from ridiculous heights and never cracked-- thats a must. I also don't like phablets or anything even close to the size of the iphone 6+, way too big for me and my tiny jean pockets.

Thanks again!

Budget option - oneplus one

Expensive option - HTC one M8/M9

From what I have heard the oneplus one has OK durability and us otherwise amazing for the price. If you're willing to splash put the extra a HTC one M8 or M9 would have pretty good durability due to aluminium. If you're looking for an extreme budget option Samsung Galaxy s2 would be my choice as for what you want to do with it it would be fine only thing for the S2 is if you buy used get a new battery and a glass screen protector might not be available, but you can still get plastic ones that are OK. You should be able to find glass screen protectors for the other phones though. If you really want the aluminium but not the price tag of the M8 you could probably get away with the M7 for what you need.

I would recommend that you get a screen protector for any phone as if you drop it it massively reduces the chance the screen will break. Chances of not breaking areven better if you get a glass protector.