Dying PSU?

Helepolis
Go to solution Solved by Helepolis,

021.jpgWell my replacement just arrived! Looks like I got a bit of an upgrade too (minus the SLI everything was bought for it's silence). RMA was super painless, my only complaint was UPS. For  the 12 seconds it took me to get to the door, the driver was already in his truck leaving a 250 dollar piece of equipment as a prop for my screen door...

Oh well details!

Thank you everyone for helped me along ensure a proper diagnosis!

I'm suspecting my PSU is dying and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything in my diagnosis.

Last night my computer suddenly turned off and started back up again(no errors, warnings, or anything); I had the day off and was gaming for the last 5 hours. Taking heat into consideration I dusted out my computer with compressed air(it wasnt bad) and happily gamed the rest of the day. Today I played for about 4 hours, this time with HW monitor running, my CPU did not exceed 60 degress, GPU's capped out at around 70 and it restarted itself again. I doubled checked the safe temperatures for my hardware (72.6 Max for my CPU) on the internet browser, then tried to restart my computer to poke around the BIOS for any anomalies. When i tried powering on my computer it immediately powered back off fives times (I pressed the power button 5 times), and 2 times It just hanged. I decided to crack it open and check the connections as I had recently swapped another motherboard in and out for testing a few days ago. Everything was snugly plugged in, all fans were spinning, visually it seemed fine. After letting it sit with the PSU power switch turned off for a few minutes it was able to load into windows.

Now i've run Valley benchmark fives times, my cpu ranged from low 55-65 max, my GPUs ranged from low 75-85 high. Idle my CPU goes from 37-42, GPU 40-45. It's also worth noting this is with fan profiles in the BIOS set for silence, and my MSI GPUs being switched to silent mode.

I've been running Prime95 for the last hour and so far everything seems good. My CPU is only overclocked at 4.0GHZ so I suspect an overclock shouldn't be an issue. My hardware has remained the same since I built my rig, so between 2-3 years now.

Specs:

P67 Saberttoth Motherboard

2x MSI GTX 570

Intel 2600k @ 4.0GHZ

16GB 4x4 Corsair Vengeance LP RAM

Creative ZXR Sound card

Intel CT Pro network card

Samsung 840 Pro 250gb (boot)

WD Red x2 RAID 1 array (storage) 

Corsair HX1000 PSU

Windows 8.1 64-bit

I haven't performed any windows updates in at least a month and a half, but I did update my Nvidia drivers about 2 weeks ago.

Thoughts?

The HX1000 Shouldn't have a problem, although could be defective.  Do you have access to another PSU?  How old is your current PSU?

sold

Dude, that sounds bad.. I've had a PSU fail on me before... Luckily there are some other things to rule out... It could be the mobo, but even something like switching out the power cord or plugging it into a different socket can make a difference.

Computer ----- CPU: FX-6300 | Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz/CL9 | GPU: MSI R9 270X OC | Case: Corsair 760T Black | Storage: 2TB WD RE4 | PSU: EVGA 750W Bronze | Display: Acer 21.5" 1080P | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | OS: Triple boot - Arch Linux, Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X Mavericks

Other Possesions:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon on FamilyMobile, root/flash KitPop ---- Other phone: HTC One M7 Sprint Bad ESN, forgot the rom but root/flash 5.0.0 ---- Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro, forgot the rom but root/flash 4.4.4

Hm....

Is your PC connected to a power bar/extension cord?

Yes, it is plugged into a 40$ power bar I picked up when I did my build. It even has a dedicated connector for a PC.

The HX1000 Shouldn't have a problem, although could be defective.  Do you have access to another PSU?  How old is your current PSU?

The HX1000 is about 3-3.5 years old(took it from my older system after about a year of use).

Dude, that sounds bad.. I've had a PSU fail on me before... Luckily there are some other things to rule out... It could be the mobo, but even something like switching out the power cord or plugging it into a different socket can make a difference.

I though about it being the Mobo, but it's warrantied for 5 years as it is a military grade component. Also, wouldn't it give some error or cause some applications to crash, or cause a BSOD, like a defective GPU, CPU, or RAM and not just straight powerdown?

Yes, it is plugged into a 40$ power bar I picked up when I did my build. It even has a dedicated connector for a PC.

Try plugging it straight in to the wall.

I though about it being the Mobo, but it's warrantied for 5 years as it is a military grade component. Also, wouldn't it give some error or cause some applications to crash, or cause a BSOD, like a defective GPU, CPU, or RAM and not just straight powerdown?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong because mobos certainly aren't my forte, but for example, if a mobo gets water on it and messes up the power going through it, it'd turn off the computer without warning, and if it touched metal, same thing. To be honest, I'm just being optimistic. It could be your PSU, but yeah... I would say maybe try a different PSU to see what's up? Your computer could also be going over the wattage of the PSU. Again, not a probable possibility, but optimism.

Computer ----- CPU: FX-6300 | Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz/CL9 | GPU: MSI R9 270X OC | Case: Corsair 760T Black | Storage: 2TB WD RE4 | PSU: EVGA 750W Bronze | Display: Acer 21.5" 1080P | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | OS: Triple boot - Arch Linux, Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X Mavericks

Other Possesions:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon on FamilyMobile, root/flash KitPop ---- Other phone: HTC One M7 Sprint Bad ESN, forgot the rom but root/flash 5.0.0 ---- Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro, forgot the rom but root/flash 4.4.4

Okay, just took my computer apart again and heres what I changed, swapped PSU power cable to the outlet, the shroud of my 2nd 570 was leaning on my front panel connectors so i reseated it, I had a usb cable touching the CPU backplate and moved it, I had 2 unused 3 pin fan connectors from a splitter so i wrapped them in electrical tape. Not a single cable is touching my motherboard except by it's connector. If I get another power down I'll post back here (probably from my phone).

Well, correct me if I'm wrong because mobos certainly aren't my forte, but for example, if a mobo gets water on it and messes up the power going through it, it'd turn off the computer without warning, and if it touched metal, same thing. To be honest, I'm just being optimistic. It could be your PSU, but yeah... I would say maybe try a different PSU to see what's up? Your computer could also be going over the wattage of the PSU. Again, not a probable possibility, but optimism.

After talking to a friend, hes agreed to trade me his old HX1000 for a bottle of rum if my problem persists, so well see!

Oh and I forgot to add my storage for my specs and they've been added now!

Anything else to check, or is it just the waiting game from here on?

After talking to a friend, hes agreed to trade me his old HX1000 for a bottle of rum if my problem persists, so well see!

Oh and I forgot to add my storage for my specs and they've been added now!

Anything else to check, or is it just the waiting game from here on?

Waiting game for sure. Have you run memtest86 once or twice just rule out a RAM issue in the meantime?

You can also watch your PSU rails for spikes and dips in HWMonitor too while you're gaming. Have it save to a log file.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Waiting game for sure. Have you run memtest86 once or twice just rule out a RAM issue in the meantime?

You can also watch your PSU rails for spikes and dips in HWMonitor too while you're gaming. Have it save to a log file.

Alrighty! Waiting it is.

I've run memtest once without any issue. I forgot to save my HWMonitor logs so thank you!

As for Spikes from my PSU, so far the largest variance (most of it has stayed the same) appears to be by .008 volts.

Alrighty! Waiting it is.

I've run memtest once without any issue. I forgot to save my HWMonitor logs so thank you!

As for Spikes from my PSU, so far the largest variance (most of it has stayed the same) appears to be by .008 volts.

Nice, that's a stable line voltage. I find the older Corsair units are much better than the newer ones.

And good on ya for running memtest already, lots of people seem to forget it exists.

You could try setting your CPU back to stock settings while you wait and see. As I like to say 100% stable doesnt always mean 100% functional when it comes to overclocking.

Things do degrade over time; especially when pushed, and sometimes CPUs get a little more voltage hungry in their twilight years.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

So just a small update. I came to my computer at 330 am this morning and prime 95 was still running without error and I turned it off. At aboit 11am I turned it back on and was given a cpu fan error in the bios. I restarted it and it turned on the second time just fine... Maybe leaning toward Cpu or mobo now?

So just a small update. I came to my computer at 330 am this morning and prime 95 was still running without error and I turned it off. At aboit 11am I turned it back on and was given a cpu fan error in the bios. I restarted it and it turned on the second time just fine... Maybe leaning toward Cpu or mobo now?

Set it back to defaults.

See how it works then. See my previous post.

Set it back to defaults.

See how it works then. See my previous post.

8%20hour%20results.png

Alright, well I just got off work so I'm going to revert them to defaults now. Prime 95 was running while I was working so heres my results after 8+ hours now. Everything seems in check, though voltages seemed to have a larger variance.

CPU clock speed set back to default, voltage back up to default of 1.300 from 1.280. Now time to play some videogames until 2 am for SCIENCE! My buddy is dropping off the PSU tomorrow so I'll be able to test that out tomorrow as well! Going to run memtest again before bed. Anything else I should tack on my list?

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions so far, it's been quite helpful!

After turning off my overclocks, my gameplay almost seems smoother eventhough i'm running at slightly lower frames... Placebo effect or did I likely have lost frames before?

After turning off my overclocks, my gameplay almost seems smoother eventhough i'm running at slightly lower frames... Placebo effect or was a likely have lost frames before?

Heh, maybe. Keep in mind your 2600K is a monster of a CPU even now and even at stock. Your voltages look pretty good, well within normal. Temps are pretty darn good too.

Hope this fixes the issue.

Pretty sure it's the PSU now... Keeping PC off until further notice.

001_1.jpg

Also, apparently I'm going senile, just found my receipt and I bought all my hardware except for my drives and sound card in 2011! I've also discovered that my HX1000 has a 5 year warranty.

Just a small update, I installed my buddys PSU he gave me (another HX1000). After a 8 hour gaming binge I did not have any sudden power downs or any weirdness upon start up.

I've asked for an RMA from corsair at 2am in the morning... Was approved after sharing my story and linking to this thread at about 7am!

Will keep you guys posted if anything happens!

After 5 days of on and of gaming, school work, and Netflix I have had yet to experience any issues using a my buddies old HX1000.

Corsair marked my RMA as recieved yesterday, then to processing. Hopefully I get my replacement soon!

021.jpgWell my replacement just arrived! Looks like I got a bit of an upgrade too (minus the SLI everything was bought for it's silence). RMA was super painless, my only complaint was UPS. For  the 12 seconds it took me to get to the door, the driver was already in his truck leaving a 250 dollar piece of equipment as a prop for my screen door...

Oh well details!

Thank you everyone for helped me along ensure a proper diagnosis!