PSU Shroud for Define R5 - Advice?

yea. so wouldn't thinner sheet be cheaper? if he is asking for 80cad for a 1.5mm how much more for a 2mm or 4mm. If its this expensive I might as well go with the ghetto cardboard shroud and save for a caselabs, 900d or something similar.

Personally I wouldn't go for it since I like to DIY a lot of my stuff and do mods since it's a bit pricy for the work, say $20 for material costs (1.5mm), and $30 for an hour of work (even though it may only take 10 mins). For unfinished metal just bent I wouldn't go for it at that price for that I woudl want a perfectly fit and finished product

I've seen others on the forum go to signage shops and had plexi shrouds done with lettering and designs for $30-40US if I remember correctly.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/152266-water-cooling-build-ts-gaming-completed/

yea. so wouldn't thinner sheet be cheaper? if he is asking for 80cad for a 1.5mm how much more for a 2mm or 4mm. If its this expensive I might as well go with the ghetto cardboard shroud and save for a caselabs, 900d or something similar.

80cad is expensive for 1.5mm that's like £43 to me. I paid £10 (around $18.50cad) for my shroud which was cut to my dimensions and bent for me and that was made from 1.5mm aluminium. Where did I get my shroud? Ebay. I literally searched for sheet aluminium and asked the seller if they can cut and bend it for me. It cost an extra £2 I think instead of just buying the sheet.

post-112743-0-67012100-1429912971_thumb.

The Shroud in it's current format.

post-112743-0-18629900-1429912980_thumb.

The bolted "L" bracket.

post-112743-0-28049600-1429912975_thumb.

My new shroud the elastic cord is there for the HDD's also make sure you make appropriate I/O cutouts if you want it to sit flush

80cad is expensive for 1.5mm that's like £43 to me. I paid £10 (around $18.50cad) for my shroud which was cut to my dimensions and bent for me and that was made from 1.5mm aluminium. Where did I get my shroud? Ebay. I literally searched for sheet aluminium and asked the seller if they can cut and bend it for me. It cost an extra £2 I think instead of just buying the sheet.

attachicon.gif20150424_225644.jpg

attachicon.gif20150412_202913.jpg

The bolted "L" bracket.

attachicon.gif20150424_225936.jpg

My new shroud the elastic cord is there for the HDD's also make sure you make appropriate I/O cutouts if you want it to sit flush

Looks great! What did you paint it with?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

The bolted "L" bracket.

I didn't even think of that. Ive asked quite a few people and most of them are asking 70-80cad for cold rolled steel and 60-70cad for galvanized. Im gonna start looking into ebay as well I guess. Thanks for the tip!

That shroud looks amazing. I was actually planning on getting a black matte vinyl sticker but this is just beautiful and seems like an easier process.

I didn't even think of that. Ive asked quite a few people and most of them are asking 70-80cad for cold rolled steel and 60-70cad for galvanized. Im gonna start looking into ebay as well I guess. Thanks for the tip!

That shroud looks amazing. I was actually planning on getting a black matte vinyl sticker but this is just beautiful and seems like an easier process.

No problem.

Thanks it is my 3rd shroud for this case though as I keep changing my needs for it and the 2nd one I messed up a bit by cutting some corners on it hopefully this will be my last one. As for painting/vinyl wrapping I highly recommend painting using primer as well as normal paint too. I used plastidip on my 1st shroud and it peeled so easily i'm guessing the same would happen with vinyl, plus paint looks better and is easier to apply as long as your patient it will look good.

No problem.

Thanks it is my 3rd shroud for this case though as I keep changing my needs for it and the 2nd one I messed up a bit by cutting some corners on it hopefully this will be my last one. As for painting/vinyl wrapping I highly recommend painting using primer as well as normal paint too. I used plastidip on my 1st shroud and it peeled so easily i'm guessing the same would happen with vinyl, plus paint looks better and is easier to apply as long as your patient it will look good.

Yeah, after trying plastidip on a bunch of things, it's convenient to be able to remove the coating, but looks like shit imo. It's more hassle than it's worth.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

If you are a cheap bastard like me, you can cut up a cardboard box and spray paint it black. It works pretty well for basically free. It will tide you over until you make a nice metal one. I plan to make a nice one out of steel eventually and paint it up all fancy and shit.

Hey you got any more pics from different angles?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

I can dig it, but that bend/corner on the shroud kills me :-/

What convinced me to make my own PSU shroud was this:

10649788_10206143916863065_3898131084357

AKA the sexiest PSU shroud I've ever seen in my life. But I have NO idea how you would make such a clean three-way bend in the metal

That is fairly close to what im looking for once I get to that point in my build.

Hey you got any more pics from different angles?

Of the makeshift shroud itself? Or in the pc. I'm sitting right in front of it so I can take some glamour shots if you wish.

Of the makeshift shroud itself? Or in the pc. I'm sitting right in front of it so I can take some glamour shots if you wish.

In the pc :)

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

In the pc :)

If you insist:

post-42526-0-68153200-1430523040_thumb.j

post-42526-0-21897700-1430523068_thumb.j

post-42526-0-49860600-1430523088_thumb.j

post-42526-0-95106500-1430523288_thumb.j

post-42526-0-62871200-1430523121_thumb.j

edit: hold up these pics are tiny for some reason. Ill update the post in a moment with better pictures. Much better. And those blue lights aren't nearly as intense in real life as they are in the pictures. It looks way better in person. The camera makes it look super duper blue.

No problem.

Hey, do you remember what brand/name of the paint you used? I cant find one on local hardware store, I might just order it online. Also, did you use a primer or something?

P.S. I ended up going with a local sheet metal fabricator, picking it up this weekend for $65. I tried ebay but there was only about 3 sellers of metal sheet and they all sell by bulk. I saw a couple at the US ebay but with the shipping it would be more than $70. so yea. 

Hey, do you remember what brand/name of the paint you used? I cant find one on local hardware store, I might just order it online. Also, did you use a primer or something?

P.S. I ended up going with a local sheet metal fabricator, picking it up this weekend for $65. I tried ebay but there was only about 3 sellers of metal sheet and they all sell by bulk. I saw a couple at the US ebay but with the shipping it would be more than $70. so yea.

I used Halfords automotive paint i'm not sure if you can get it in Canada as Halfords are UK based and it probably won't be worth the postage. I did use primer on mine to get the small imperfections out and to give the top coat better adhesion to prevent chipping and such. I did not use lacquer though. I'm glad you found a place to get your shroud maybe its just easier in the UK to buy one online, my first shroud was from a sheet metal place but had loads of scratches as it was a cut off.

b1bff5c0dd.jpgI finally got it! terrible cut and bend, I was too excited when I got it that I didn't notice. I had to sand the edges where he cut quite a bit and straighten the metal as it was kinda uneven. Definitely not worth 65. Now my only problem is that i suck at painting. I used a black spray paint that has a primer mixed in for 2 coats then an automotive flat black spray paint. It scratches very easily! what did I do wrong?

__snip__

I finally got it! terrible cut and bend, I was too excited when I got it that I didn't notice. I had to sand the edges where he cut quite a bit and straighten the metal as it was kinda uneven. Definitely not worth 65. Now my only problem is that i suck at painting. I used a black spray paint that has a primer mixed in for 2 coats then an automotive flat black spray paint. It scratches very easily! what did I do wrong?

So ironic that I started this thread, and you got yours done in all this time. My guy hasn't even contacted me since I sent him the plans LOL.

TBH that shroud looks great imo. Were those with the original measurements in the OP I did? 

-PIC-

I finally got it! terrible cut and bend, I was too excited when I got it that I didn't notice. I had to sand the edges where he cut quite a bit and straighten the metal as it was kinda uneven. Definitely not worth 65. Now my only problem is that i suck at painting. I used a black spray paint that has a primer mixed in for 2 coats then an automotive flat black spray paint. It scratches very easily! what did I do wrong?

Was it bare metal? 

Cause you need to sand the metal to give it some bite and apply a separate primer and paint. I've used those paint+primer's they work better than straight paint but isn't the same as using a can of primer. Some like self etching primer would be ideal since it etches and bites into the metal even more.

Also if you just recently painted it let it dry for a few days to a week to fully cure, paint will take time to harden to it's full durability over that period of time.

Was it bare metal? 

Cause you need to sand the metal to give it some bite and apply a separate primer and paint. I've used those paint+primer's they work better than straight paint but isn't the same as using a can of primer. Some like self etching primer would be ideal since it etches and bites into the metal even more.

Also if you just recently painted it let it dry for a few days to a week to fully cure, paint will take time to harden to it's full durability over that period of time.

I did not know that, I only left it to dry for over 24 hours. Ill redo it when I have the time, Thanks! 

So ironic that I started this thread, and you got yours done in all this time. My guy hasn't even contacted me since I sent him the plans LOL.

TBH that shroud looks great imo. Were those with the original measurements in the OP I did? 

I changed it a bit. http://puu.sh/hpOKO/52e50368a4.pngthis is what I sent him, Im just happy he understood my shity paint work. lol

I did not know that, I only left it to dry for over 24 hours. Ill redo it when I have the time, Thanks! 

I changed it a bit. http://puu.sh/hpOKO/52e50368a4.pngthis is what I sent him, Im just happy he understood my shity paint work. lol

So here's my next question, how did you end up attaching the shroud?

-snip-

Looks good man now you just need to paint them pci brackets black and it will look awesome.

Looks good man now you just need to paint them pci brackets black and it will look awesome.

nah, my build is black and white so its fine as it is, except for the gold accents on the asus mobo. 

So here's my next question, how did you end up attaching the shroud?

I just used velcro tapes and taped it on top of the PSU.

• 8 months later...

The bolted "L" bracket.

That's a great looking shroud. 

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. I also have a r5 with a window and want a PSU cover. It should be on top of the PSU and shield all my cables and mess in the bottom. Secondly I want custom cables from the GPU to go straight down through a hole into that shield to the PSU. And lastly I would like to mount 2 SSD's on there to show them off. What would be the best way to do that? Would you recommend building a little stand for the SSD's like in this mod (First picture http://www.bsmods.com/gallery.html)? How did you all get that metal piece? Did you get it cut in your local DIY store or did you cut and bend it yourself? If so with which tools? I'm pretty confident I can do the painintig part and drilling holes for SSD's but i'm not sure about the metal itself and bigger holes for power cables.. Any tips and materials such as which colour you used would be great and suggestions how I could showcase my SSD's would be awesome! :)

18 hours ago, DjFlu said:

Hi guys. I also have a r5 with a window and want a PSU cover. It should be on top of the PSU and shield all my cables and mess in the bottom. Secondly I want custom cables from the GPU to go straight down through a hole into that shield to the PSU. And lastly I would like to mount 2 SSD's on there to show them off. What would be the best way to do that? Would you recommend building a little stand for the SSD's like in this mod (First picture http://www.bsmods.com/gallery.html)? How did you all get that metal piece? Did you get it cut in your local DIY store or did you cut and bend it yourself? If so with which tools? I'm pretty confident I can do the painintig part and drilling holes for SSD's but i'm not sure about the metal itself and bigger holes for power cables.. Any tips and materials such as which colour you used would be great and suggestions how I could showcase my SSD's would be awesome! :)

I would definitely message or tag rahyan16, since his was completed. Mine never panned out due to real life stuff. My original plan was to have a local metal fab shop cut & bend the 1.5mm thick sheet aluminum. Was going to see if they could powder coat it to match the R5 if possible. 

As far as running the cable straight down from the GPU to inside the shroud, it shouldn't be hard. I had the same plan as well.

For the hole, provided you don't use really thick aluminum for the shroud, you can probably cut it yourself with a dremel.

As for making it look good: Find and purchase a rubber grommet you like FIRST, before you cut. I bought these https://store.nzxt.com/products/source-530-grommet-kit. Measure your hole to line up with the grommet's inner crevasse. Then you can cut your hole in the 'top' of the shroud. If you cut it well, the grommet will fit snugly in the hole, and the rubber will surround the cuts, so you really won't even see cut lines or anything. Should work, AND look good, in theory. Just measure that sucker and make sure you're right before you cut.

• 2 months later...

does the dimensions fits Fractal Design Define S?