best for listing to musc from phone/tablet?

thefryguy

Im torn between the klipsch r6i and the grado sr60e. Any advice?

Im torn between the klipsch r6i and the grado sr60e. Any advice?

Dont spend a whole lot on headphones just to use them on a phone or tablet. Due to the small form factor, the audio reproduction is atrocious.

Edit: you'd be better off with shitty 10$ ones from Walmart.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Easy pick. Are you going to listen to them more on the road or at home?

The Grado isn't practical anywhere outside of home as everyone else will hear your music and you will hear everyone else around you. The In-ear Klipsch will be infinitely better outside, but in a quiet listening area you will get the warm and superb sounding of the Grado.

Dont spend a whole lot on headphones just to use them on a phone or tablet. Due to the small form factor, the audio reproduction is atrocious.

Edit: you'd be better off with shitty 10$ ones from Walmart.

Form factor has nothing to do with audio reproduction. Plenty of good phones with really good sounds out there.

Form factor has nothing to do with audio reproduction. Plenty of good phones with really good sounds out there.

Lol. Not that I've seen. Not to mention there's no space for emi shielding, show me a phone with good sound quality. It may be OK, but this being the audiophile section (and an elitist forum in general) its all about what is best. Tablets may be able to accomplish this a bit better, due to there larger form factor, and thus more space, but its still not gonna be good.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Lol. Not that I've seen. Not to mention there's no space for emi shielding, show me a phone with good sound quality. It may be OK, but this being the audiophile section (and an elitist forum in general) its all about what is best. Tablets may be able to accomplish this a bit better, due to there larger form factor, and thus more space, but its still not gonna be good.

Don't be silly.

And the Klipsch R6i and SR60 is too good for any phones out there and hes better off buying $10 Walmart earbud? The cheapest of any phone will sound better on an r6i than a $10 earbud from Walmart, and of course you can't get the absolute best of audio on a phone but are you expecting people to go around carrying expensive amps and dacs around on their pocket? Heck, even a dedicated listening device can be a burden and not worth it to some.

You have to be realistic here. Hes looking for a good headphone for his phone, nothing more.

And the Klipsch R6i and SR60 is too good for any phones out there and hes better off buying $10 Walmart earbud? The cheapest of any phone will sound better on an r6i than a $10 earbud from Walmart, and of course you can't get the absolute best of audio on a phone but are you expecting people to go around carrying expensive amps and dacs around on their pocket? Heck, even a dedicated listening device can be a burden and not worth it to some.

You have to be realistic here. Hes looking for a good headphone for his phone, nothing more.

I'm not saying he needs to carry around an amp and DAC, I'm just saying go cheaper. If this was a PC he was dealing with, he could even go higher and be happy. I personally wouldn't spend more than about 50$ on earbuds for a phone/tablet. You Dont even need a DAC/amp for PC for good sound.

Spoiler

I'm not saying he needs to carry around an amp and DAC, I'm just saying go cheaper. If this was a PC he was dealing with, he could even go higher and be happy. I personally wouldn't spend more than about 50$ on earbuds for a phone/tablet. You Dont even need a DAC/amp for PC for good sound.

You're being dumb. A better headphone will always sound better no matter the source; there are no "bottlenecks" in audio. The audio section in a phone is easily as good is what is in many PCs these days. Not enough room for EMI shielding? As though there is less EMI in a PC or more shielding.

You're being dumb. A better headphone will always sound better no matter the source; there are no "bottlenecks" in audio. The audio section in a phone is easily as good is what is in many PCs these days. Not enough room for EMI shielding? As though there is less EMI in a PC or more shielding.

There is. There's also more space for a more advanced codec.

If I run 1000$ headphones on a phone, and on a PC, I can garauntee you I'll be able to tell the difference. Even between my phone and a laptop there is an audible difference in sound quality and background noise. (White noise, not like, people around me)

Spoiler

If I run 1000$ headphones on a phone, and on a PC, I can garauntee you I'll be able to tell the difference. Even between my phone and a laptop there is an audible difference in sound quality and background noise. (White noise, not like, people around me)

How much space does a codec take? You do know that a codec is an audio program, right? Not a physical chip?

Why would it take $1000 headphones? Any sensitive in-ears can ruthlessly reveal the noise floor of any amp. I'm not sure how you extend that to conclude that all phones have a higher noise floor. Quite a leap of logic.

post-7946-0-26723400-1428002269.jpg

post-7946-0-26723400-1428002269.jpg

How much space does a codec take? You do know that a codec is an audio program, right? Not a physical chip?

Why would it take $1000 headphones? Any sensitive in-ears can ruthlessly reveal the noise floor of any amp. I'm not sure how you extend that to conclude that all phones have a higher noise floor. Quite a leap of logic.

All I'm saying is the audio quality on phones and tablets is sub par. (I'm not too familiar with audio terminology) but by codec I meant the actual part, the audio circuitry. Not sure of the name for it.

Spoiler

Lol. I love that meme.

Spoiler

Also, you should not take the 1000$ headphone thing as you needing that expensive of headphones. I'm just saying, you match a GPU to a CPU, and you match headphones to the quality of the source and of the circuitry.

Spoiler

Also, you should not take the 1000$ headphone thing as you needing that expensive of headphones. I'm just saying, you match a GPU to a CPU, and you match headphones to the quality of the source and of the circuitry.

Wrong. I said there are no bottlenecks in audio for a reason. You cannot apply the same logic to audio equipment as happens over in the computer hardware subs.

All I'm saying is the audio quality on phones and tablets is sub par. (I'm not too familiar with audio terminology) but by codec I meant the actual part, the audio circuitry. Not sure of the name for it.

It could be, and may be on cheap phones, but you can say the same thing about cheap motherboards. Either way it does not justify getting an inferior pair of headphones.

The reason is that a headphone will always have orders of magnitude greater coloration and non-linearity than even the worst phone. Therefore it is always smart to get the best headphone that you can afford because it will always sound better than an inferior headphone, regardless of the source. You can always upgrade that source later, if need be.

Wrong. I said there are no bottlenecks in audio for a reason. You cannot apply the same logic to audio equipment as happens over in the computer hardware subs.

It could be, and may be on cheap phones, but you can say the same thing about cheap motherboards. Either way it does not justify getting an inferior pair of headphones.

The reason is that a headphone will always have orders of magnitude greater coloration an non-linearity than even the worst phone. Therefore it is always smart to get the best headphone that you can afford because it will always sound better than an inferior headphone, regardless of the source. You can always upgrade that source later, if need be.

I'm not even going to correct your logic there near the end. If he plans to use it with anything other than his phone, he should go big. If not, then he's fine with some cheaper ear buds/headphones.

Spoiler

I'm not even going to correct your logic there near the end. If he plans to use it with anything other than his phone, he should go big. If not, then he's fine with some cheaper ear buds/headphones.

Yes, because you can't.

so the tldr is...?

so the tldr is...?

so the tldr is...?

If you're out and about, in-ears. If you're at home or in a quiet location, headphones.

so the tldr is...?

If you plan to use them on other stuff, then go as high as you can. If not, and its ONLY for your phone/tablet, just get one of those two, or drop your budget to about 50$.

Spoiler

If you plan to use them on other stuff, then go as high as you can. If not, and its ONLY for your phone/tablet, just get one of those two, or drop your budget to about 50$.

If you're out and about, in-ears. If you're at home or in a quiet location, headphones.

sweet thanks

sweet thanks

No problem.

Spoiler