Is Android 5.0.2 worth it?

KemoKa

I keep getting tons of notifications on my nexus 7, whining that it wants to update to Lollipop. However, I've heard that it has a lot of problems, so... Should I stick with Android 4.4, or go to lollipop, or should I go to a different ROM instead?

2012 Nexus 7?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Upgrade, but backup first. Then if you hate it you can go back. 

I keep getting tons of notifications on my nexus 7, whining that it wants to update to Lollipop. However, I've heard that it has a lot of problems, so... Should I stick with Android 4.4, or go to lollipop, or should I go to a different ROM instead?

I have had no issuses with Lollipop. Only with xposed  :D

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

2012 Nexus 7?

2013. I wanted the camera on the back :D

Go Apple.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I'm running cm12 on my galaxy s5 (5.0.2)! It works flawlessly! I don't know if it's because I went from kitkat touchwis to cyanogenmod 12 lollipop, but it greatly increased my antutu benchmark score as well as battery life.

I really love the design too.

PS: Always make backups just encase!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Go Apple.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Not sure bought the 2013 version, but my nexus 7 2012 became useless after the lollipop upgrade... 

Like freezing trying to open webpages or settings, or system lock up on some tasks that required a reboot to get it working again.

Lucky the flash back to 4.4.4 was easy although kept prompting for the update so now I'm running Cyanogen Mod and loving it. If you want to upgrade, definitely back up everything before hand. Having said that, I found Android 5 on my phone to be pretty good however, I'm gonna back that up and flash CM on that too.

I would wait for a Rom with 5.1 
5.0.2 doesn't have a huge impact. Isn't worth it in my eyes.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

I went from KitKat to Lollipop and within a day had so many issues that I ended up calling HTC to ask for a KitKat RUU.

They of course refused, so I'm considering suing HTC for ruining my phone with an upgrade that made everything less intuitive and flat-out broke several functions while adding bloatware that couldn't even be disabled.

I went from KitKat to Lollipop and within a day had so many issues that I ended up calling HTC to ask for a KitKat RUU.

They of course refused, so I'm considering suing HTC for ruining my phone with an upgrade that made everything less intuitive and flat-out broke several functions while adding bloatware that couldn't even be disabled.

I find that hard to believe...5 is defiantly better then 4

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

the ECOSYSTEM is bad

it force me to use PHOTOS which always back up my images (ALL OF THEM) to google+

even after I disable it, it will find a way to do it

and I can't replace it with another image gallery, the system will try to call photos even if it's disabled in the apps system.

somehow it render External Memory useless (as in it never use it)

if you don't mind the ability always online + auto backup all your shit to "cloud" then it's all good

my old android phone didn't do this, I miss it already but it's unusable because battery is really bad.

I find that hard to believe...5 is defiantly better then 4

My experience with the M8 on Sense :

- No more music controls on the lockscreen, so unless your headphones have the right buttons, switching tracks involves unlocking the phone. Not fun if you need to use a screen lock.

- The animations make the entire UI slower. As much as I like eyecandy, it shouldn't interfere with productivity.

- Copy-pasting is a mess, and I'm not even referring to the unclear and inconsistent icons. Either you need to press 3 seconds before the "paste" option appears, or it appears immediately right where your finger is, so it ends up pasting right away even if you only wanted to move your cursor.

- Now you have to double-drag the notifications drop-down bar just to see the quick settings. What was wrong with dragging it down in one go?

And the entire UI is full of such things. Basically 50% of the common actions require twice as much work now.

- redialing special numbers has become a nightmare. I often need to hide my caller ID when calling certain automated phone systems for work several times in a row. The dialer doesn't remember the #31# tag that does this anymore, so I have to enter it every single time or have to go in the settings several times per day to enable or disable caller ID.

- The lockscreen doesn't recognize certain shortcuts as important anymore.

3rd party camera? Forget about taking a quick picture of that car speeding away after a hit-and-run, unlock the phone first.

Soundhound ID now? Nah, first unlock the phone and then we'll start the app by the time that song is finished.

The M8 was a perfect tool for my personal use as well as my work, now it's just an annoyance. Even after switching to CM12 and messing around with messaging apps and dialers and whatnot, it's just plain bad. No matter how you mess with launchers, other apps etc, it doesn't change the fact that you're building on a bad foundation.

The newest version has the newest security updates for your device, soooooo I would update if I were you

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

My experience with the M8 on Sense :

- No more music controls on the lockscreen, so unless your headphones have the right buttons, switching tracks involves unlocking the phone. Not fun if you need to use a screen lock.

- The animations make the entire UI slower. As much as I like eyecandy, it shouldn't interfere with productivity.

- Copy-pasting is a mess, and I'm not even referring to the unclear and inconsistent icons. Either you need to press 3 seconds before the "paste" option appears, or it appears immediately right where your finger is, so it ends up pasting right away even if you only wanted to move your cursor.

- Now you have to double-drag the notifications drop-down bar just to see the quick settings. What was wrong with dragging it down in one go?

And the entire UI is full of such things. Basically 50% of the common actions require twice as much work now.

- redialing special numbers has become a nightmare. I often need to hide my caller ID when calling certain automated phone systems for work several times in a row. The dialer doesn't remember the #31# tag that does this anymore, so I have to enter it every single time or have to go in the settings several times per day to enable or disable caller ID.

- The lockscreen doesn't recognize certain shortcuts as important anymore.

3rd party camera? Forget about taking a quick picture of that car speeding away after a hit-and-run, unlock the phone first.

Soundhound ID now? Nah, first unlock the phone and then we'll start the app by the time that song is finished.

The M8 was a perfect tool for my personal use as well as my work, now it's just an annoyance. Even after switching to CM12 and messing around with messaging apps and dialers and whatnot, it's just plain bad. No matter how you mess with launchers, other apps etc, it doesn't change the fact that you're building on a bad foundation.

You are probably having these problems because you are using the carrier provided update.

-I'm on 5.0.2 CM12 (always update to the latest nightly builds) and still have back, pause/play, and skip when playing music. Hell, I have the buttons even if ANY music app is open, not even playing.

-I don't know about you, but I can select anywhere from no animations, all the way up to 10x speed.

-I sort of agree with you about these icons, but it makes sense the paperclip means attach, and the pages on top of each other mean copy. A tip to help you paste, don't have you finger at the beginning of the line where you are going to paste/type. The paste notification will always pop up at the start of the line/text box.

-Double drag down the notification bar? Not when the device is locked, it comes down all the way. You can also swipe the left/right sides down for full access, or turn it off! Just pull down everything if you want!

-Click the three little dots at the top right of the phone app, settings, general, there's the toggle. Maybe buying a $5 tracfone would be easier?

-In my stock lock screen, I can swipe up to unlock, left for camera (4k raw and video), right for phone app, down for all notifications/quick settings, and double tap to re-lock. You could just disable the lock screen if it slows you down. I have used my stock camera, google camera, and open camera, all work flawlessly, even from the lock screen shortcut. Whenever any music app is open or playing, it is on the lock screen and notification drawer.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I think chaos's problem with 5 is that its a bit different..and needs a bit more learning..most of the things tho are faster..and better on 5 tho

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile