Help with build.

pugnaq
Go to solution Solved by Weak1ings,

What's the difference between locked or unlocked processors? I don't play Skyrim and I only will play Battlefield, GTA, Arma 3 and H1z1. I have both ps4 and xbox one and I don't like any of them, they could have been better. I want a solid PC that can perform better than the new gen consoles. What most matters right now is the cpu, mobo, ram and ssd. I don't want to spend a lot for a graphic card right now because I will upgrade especifically the gpu later. I want a very very fast computer so if I have to get 16 GB of Ram with over 2000MHz I don't mind.

An unlocked processor allows you to overclock.  This feature may save you some years ahead if you are still using it and can't upgrade but the costs are usually not worth it.  By the time this CPU is too slow, you'll want something new anyways.  The Xeon is the best value out there.

You can go for a 750 Ti but, the GTX 960 will Max out all games at 1080p with usually 60 FPS.  All of those games you mentioned will be maxed out. 

3200Mhz RAM or etc gives you 1-2 Frame per second increase vs slow RAM at the cost of 40% more price.  It's just not worth it and will never be.  I am maxing out the games I play with my DDR2 900Mhz RAM and 660.

The Titan X will max out everything period with at least 100 FPS.  (in 1080p)

What I listed will be exactly what you want if you want solid performance for 5+ years.

16GB of RAM is more of a personal conviction that any build $1000 or more should have more than 8GB of RAM. You will probably need to upgrade in 2020 based on the rate of increase of use.  Right now you can do 8GB but will need to upgrade soon.

I'd like to suggest exploring the genres exclusive to the PC like RTS, Management games, The Golden FPS games(the classics like Unreal), and many more things that aren't even gaming.

Hey once again! I made a buid like 10 days ago thanks to the guys here. I have learned a lot of stuff and i'm very grateful with everyone here. I bought the Battlefield hardline both for Xbox One and PS4 and I gotta say the game is fun but I think they could have made better the graphics. I'm tired of consoles I just have them to play with friends whenever they come or play online with them. Few people convinced me to move to the PC side and I played once or twice battlefield on a PC and it was insane! The graphics and also the people online a lot less trolls and kid rats not like the consoles filled with them. The thing is I made a build with an i5-4690 + msi z97 gaming 5 + msi gtx 970 and 8 GB of Ram. When everything arrived I was offered a 150$ more than what I paid the guy was in a hurry so I gave it to them. Now I have a 1000$ budget to build a good gaming PC. Can you help me to build a better one? Keep in mind I want to make a build so I can upgrade later to a Titan X and hopefully later on a SLI Titan X. Put yourselfs in my position and what would you get to secure a future upgrade space and also fast? 8 Gb of Ram is plenty for me right now, I just want to play few games and the next year I could buy myself a new pair of ram and add more memory. In the build include a SSD, PSU, MOBO, RAM, GPU and everything necessary in the CPU but exclude case, keyboard, mouse, monitor and headset. I want to build the fastest PC i can with that budget. I don't care much for the GPU right now since I plan getting a Titan X later this year maybe in november. Im kinda noob in this but the higher MHz in ram the better? If so, please add them into the build with a mobo that supports them. When choosing a MOBO it would be better choosing an MSI or Asus brand since they support my country and give local support (MSI over Asus but both are okay) if you find a better brand then add it. Thanks for reading and for your help!

PS: Right now I don't plan to overclock but maybe when I upgrade later yes. So you can skip the cooler.

Have you tried pcpartpicker.com ? It's the holy grail of PC building.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

The Titan X is a great card, but do you really need it?  Are you going to do 4K?  If your not doing 4K then that is complete overkill :)

High speed RAM impacts performance negligibly.

Here is what I'd assemble were I in your shoes:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DXqJZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DXqJZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($256.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($138.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1020.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-31 23:18 EDT-0400

You can go down on the RAM if you want and get an i7 4790K which is unlocked, but otherwise this system is made for solid performance for it's whole life.  (the Xeon E3 is equivalent to that i7 but is locked and cheaper)

When I chose the parts I had in mind:  Upgrades for the GPU, you can go lower but at 1080p the 960 is the best card out there for it's specific price point.

I personally think that any build at $1000+ must have 16GB of RAM...  Especially if you do modding for say Skyrim.  I hit 8GB with a GT 520!  (thankfully I have a GTX 660 now)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

The Titan X is a great card, but do you really need it?  Are you going to do 4K?  If your not doing 4K then that is complete overkill :)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.98 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($39.99 @ Amazon)

You can go down on the RAM if you want and get an i7 4790K which is unlocked, but otherwise this system is made for solid performance for it's whole life.  (the Xeon E3 is equivalent to that i7 but is locked and cheaper)

When I chose the parts I had in mind:  Upgrades for the GPU, you can go lower but at 1080p the 960 is the best card out there for it's specific price point.

I personally think that any build at $1000+ must have 16GB of RAM...  Especially if you do modding for say Skyrim.  I hit 8GB with a GT 520!  (thankfully I have a GTX 660 now)

This is great! I would only make one change: throw in the 4gb version of Gigabyte's or EVGA's 960. What is it? $30 more? lol

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

This is great! I would only make one change: throw in the 4gb version of Gigabyte's or EVGA's 960. What is it? $30 more? lol

Well, the $30 more would give much better VRAM but, based on my research it is pointless to buy more without more 960s :)  But since the OP wants a Titan X, why spend $30 more :)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

Well, the $30 more would give much better VRAM but, based on my research it is pointless to buy more without more 960s :)  But since the OP wants a Titan X, why spend $30 more :)

lol totally  :D

What's the difference between locked or unlocked processors? I don't play Skyrim and I only will play Battlefield, GTA, Arma 3 and H1z1. I have both ps4 and xbox one and I don't like any of them, they could have been better. I want a solid PC that can perform better than the new gen consoles. What most matters right now is the cpu, mobo, ram and ssd. I don't want to spend a lot for a graphic card right now because I will upgrade especifically the gpu later. I want a very very fast computer so if I have to get 16 GB of Ram with over 2000MHz I don't mind.

An unlocked processor allows you to overclock.  This feature may save you some years ahead if you are still using it and can't upgrade but the costs are usually not worth it.  By the time this CPU is too slow, you'll want something new anyways.  The Xeon is the best value out there.

You can go for a 750 Ti but, the GTX 960 will Max out all games at 1080p with usually 60 FPS.  All of those games you mentioned will be maxed out. 

3200Mhz RAM or etc gives you 1-2 Frame per second increase vs slow RAM at the cost of 40% more price.  It's just not worth it and will never be.  I am maxing out the games I play with my DDR2 900Mhz RAM and 660.

What I listed will be exactly what you want if you want solid performance for 5+ years.

16GB of RAM is more of a personal conviction that any build $1000 or more should have more than 8GB of RAM. You will probably need to upgrade in 2020 based on the rate of increase of use.  Right now you can do 8GB but will need to upgrade soon.

I'd like to suggest exploring the genres exclusive to the PC like RTS, Management games, The Golden FPS games(the classics like Unreal), and many more things that aren't even gaming.

So that Xeon is better than the i7 in the 350$ range?

It is par so yes, it is better due to the value and price to performance.