Confused about upgrading.

Toxiic

Hi guys. I've purchased a new Vector 150 SSD and a new AsRock 990FX Killer ATX motherboard. I was wondering whether I could disconnect my current drive, connect my SSD and do a clean install of Windows 8 and the drivers for my motherboard and GPU; then connect my old HDD and format it. I feel like this would be easier than transferring my files over as I will need to install the new drivers for my motherboard and re-install windows anyway. 

Also... I don't have an optical drive so I was wondering whether I would be fine to install my drivers over a usb optical drive. (I already put the windows 8 ISO on a usb so no worries there :) .)

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Hi guys. I've purchased a new Vector 150 SSD and a new AsRock 990FX Killer ATX motherboard. I was wondering whether I could disconnect my current drive, connect my SSD and do a clean install of Windows 8 and the drivers for my motherboard and GPU; then connect my old HDD and format it. I feel like this would be easier than transferring my files over as I will need to install the new drivers for my motherboard and re-install windows anyway. 

Also... I don't have an optical drive so I was wondering whether I would be fine to install my drivers over a usb optical drive. (I already put the windows 8 ISO on a usb so no worries there :) .)

Any help would be appreciated!

Should be fine. Any particular concerns?

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

You don't have to disconnect the HDD, just hook the SSD to the SATA Ports and you're done. Do clean install of windows from the USB and format the HDD from there, format the SSD as well and then install the OS to the SSD.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Should be fine. Any particular concerns?

Good to hear. No particular concerns just a bit new to this sort of stuff and wanted to make sure I was going down the right track.

You don't have to disconnect the HDD, just hook the SSD to the SATA Ports and you're done. Do clean install of windows from the USB and format the HDD from there, format the SSD as well and then install the OS to the SSD.

Does make more sense doing that. Thanks!

Steps :

1. connect ssd on sata_1, connect hdd on sata_2, plug in usb flash disk.

2. enter bios, set boot sequence to usb flash disk.

3. do fresh install on ssd via usb. (do format your hdd now and create a new partition / don't format your hdd if you want to back up something)

4. install the all drivers and other utilities (i suggest using ninite.com for utilities works like charm)

5. done

Steps :

1. connect ssd on sata_1, connect hdd on sata_2, plug in usb flash disk.

2. enter bios, set boot sequence to usb flash disk.

3. do fresh install on ssd via usb. (do format your hdd now and create a new partition / don't format your hdd if you want to back up something)

4. install the all drivers and other utilities (i suggest using ninite.com for utilities works like charm)

5. done

Or this, press the button for the Motherboard to got to "Boot Option" (F11 or F12 if I'm not mistaken, motherboard's button may vary) so do you don't have to go to BIOS to set boot priority. Yes install all drivers from their own manufacturer (recommended) if you can't connect to the internet for now then hopefully you still have the drivers disc, Ninite is a great website if you do clean install of Windows, go check it out if you haven't.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold