Windows 7 Pro question please?

leswhinn

Hi Everyone,

Just hoping someone can Help?

When It's time for me to clean up my PC and my Laptop,

I go to C: drive, Right click, properties and up comes.. Local disc (C:) Properties, this page has all the click-able headings:

General, Tools, Hardware, Quota, etc etc and has a disc diagram with Used Space and Free space and Disc clean up button,

Under the button for Disc Clean up there are 2 little check boxes one says:

Check-able square......> Compress this drive to save disc space (Unchecked)

Below this: 

Check-able square ......> Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties 

(This is also unchecked and i'd never noticed before 2 or 3 weeks ago)

On my laptop running windows 8.1 lower box is checked But 

Should it be checked on Windows 7 Pro too please?

A Couple of family members have used my pc in the past so it could have been me or them that changed the setting by accident...

One reason I ask is that over the last week or so I've been getting the same 2 IE up-dates (10Mb each) every time i turn on my pc then

When i do a clean up of the disc it cleans up 20Mb on windows update clean up and the other day it did a 40Mb update clean up  :huh:

I've had 14 of the same important up-dates now  :wacko:

You may have gathered I'm not very Tech minded...I do try But need some help please?

Kind regards and have a Really nice day,

Les

personally I have both of those unchecked..I don't want the pc indexing all my files..taking up cpu time and memory

I also use agent ransack for my file searching since windows built in search sux now

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Compress file should be off, unless you really need the space and a fast CPU.

(when readying files on the drive, Windows will have to decompress them first)

As for the indexing option, it can be turned on. Yes it will start indexing if it was previously off. But if you search a lot, in that drive, files and folders, it can be useful for faster search speed. The process will obviously take time, where disc activity and CPU will be used. But once done, it is done.

Usually when I install Windows and all my stuff, I tell Windows to not make my system go to sleep, and let it idle all night for it to do its thing, then I enable sleep back in the power options.